d-mac3276

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon,Storm,La Lakers
Thought i'd start a thread for a bit of fun in where you pick who you think the fighters next match up will be and see how accurate we can be and maybe one day take over Joe Silva's role

Obviously there are already cards set and fighters with their next match up set already so we'll just stick to the ones who haven't.
I've got a fair few i've been playing around with in my alot of spare time ha ha:

Gegard Mousasi vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Todd Duffee vs Brandon Vera
Nate Diaz vs Rafael Dos Anjos
Phil Davis vs Mauricio Rua
Court McGee vs John Hathaway
Gunnar Nelson vs Siyar Bahadurzada
Rick Story vs Jordan Mein
Stefan Struve vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Alan Belcher vs Thales Leites
James Te Huna vs Ovince St Preux
Nick Diaz vs Jake Ellenberger
Cung Le vs Chris Leben
Ben Rothwell vs Stipe Miocic
Urijah Faber vs Michael McDonald
Brad Pickett vs Iuri Alcantara
Conor McGregor vs Diego Brandao
Chan Sung Jung vs Dennis Siver
Frankie Edgar vs Cub Swanson
Robbie Whittaker vs Mike Pyle
Kelvin Gastelum vs Jason High
Martin Kampmann vs Dan Hardy
Mike Swick vs Andrew Craig
Benson Henderson vs Gray Maynard
Jim Miller vs Donald Cerrone
Gleison Tibau vs Edson Barboza
Dustin Poirier vs Darren Elkins
Erik Koch vs Clay Guida
Marcus Brimage vs Takeya Mizugaki
Evan Dunham vs Michael Johnson
Joe Lauzon vs Takanori Gomi
Travis Browne vs Josh Barnett
Frank Mir vs Alaistair Overeem

I thought of a few good fights and then saw that you'd listed them too. Bendo vs Maynard makes a lot of sense and would be very interesting. Barnett vs Browne and Mir vs Overeem were another couple that I thought of.

Some more that I thought of:
Ian McCall vs Tim Elliot
Josh Barnett vs Fabricio Werdum - Depends whether the UFC is going to keep Werdum inactive to fight for the title next or not.
Martin Kampmann vs Nick Diaz*
Rafael dos Anjos vs Josh Thomson
Chad Mendes vs Ricardo Lamas
Louis Gaudinot vs Darren Uyenoyama
Chael Sonnen vs Rashad Evans - Not sure what's going on with Chael. He said he's going back to MW but I'd rather him stay at LHW.
Hacran Dias vs Clay Guida
Eric Koch vs Chan Sung Jung
Gleison Tibau vs Danny Castillo

Saw this mentioned in one of the other threads and figured it was a good time to start it off. Anyone who read the walls of text I used to post after each and every card knows I like to have a stab at a good next step for each fighter, so I'll get us started. I'm only going to look at the main card fighters, but feel free to pick and choose.

Berlin

Mousasi - Rockhold. Both have started 2-1 in the octagon coming over from Strikeforce and both should be well and truly entrenched in the top 10 after their most recent wins. Both guy love to strike but are adept on the ground too. Would make for a great fight and the winner would likely move on to a #1 contender fight.

Dollaway - Romero. Hardy called this after the fight and it makes sense. Dollaway has had problems with big punchers before and Romero is one of the biggest. If he could beat him, it would push his top 5 credentials.

Strickland - Tavares. Wasn't impressed with his fight today, but he looked good in patches. Tavares is coming off a loss, but had looked good prior to running in to Romero. Sticks with the TUF fighter theme for Strickland while giving him a good step up in class.

Backstrom - Fili. Was impressed with Backstrom's debut. He showed he could submit a tough grappler in Niinimaki and a fight with Fili would show how he goes against a good striker.

TUF Brazil

Miocic - dos Santos. It was the fight the UFC wanted in the first place and it makes more sense now with how slick Miocic looked on his feet today.

Carlos Jr - Perosh. Carlos Jr's striking looked like it has come a long way since the show, but he's far from the finished product. Miranda looked hesitant today due to his BJJ skills, but Perosh wouldn't be afraid of the takedown and would take the fight to him.

Alves - Howard. Warrley looked like a killer all season long. Doomsday is coming off a loss, but is a serious striker with a decent wrestling game. Should make for a great stand up war.

Maia - Ellenberger. He won after dropping two straight, but Maia didn't look convincing today. His time at 36 has to be now and a fight against Ellenberger has the potential to put either guy right back in the mix.

Peralta - Jung. Robbie's been on a nice run of late and is due a step up in competition.
The Korean Zombie has been out a while and probably needs a "softer" fight before going back against the top guys at 145.

Joe Silva vs Moldanardo (spelling). I'm sue he wants to get even with Joe for the ridiculous mismatch.

Great thread, there are so many bouts I'd like to make/match. it'll make for fun discussion for us all this thread.

"Be Joe Silva".......I like it,

As for match making, The Henderson v Khabilov UFC fight night main event could of been better. Henderson is #1 while his opponent his #14 on the UFC rankings.

Henderson vs TJ Grant......

Hendo, trying to make his mark on the division again after being stopped by Pettis. TJ is on a 5 fight win streak and I think should start fighting higher ranked fighters. TJ has a high submission % and we all know how Hendo lost his belt.

Khabilov called out Bendo on twitter and Bendo accepted thinking it was Nurmagomedov calling him out. Bit strange from a rankings perspective, but should be a good fight. Rustam looks like he's for real.

TJ I don't think has been cleared yet from his concussion issues. Hopefully that changes soon as he was on a real good run.

Khabilov called out Bendo on twitter and Bendo accepted thinking it was Nurmagomedov calling him out.
Are you kidding me?!

This makes sense now. When I first saw this, I thought.. Who the hell wants to see this? Nurmagomedov would've been such a better match. I really couldn't care less about this match to be honest.

Are you kidding me?!

This makes sense now. When I first saw this, I thought.. Who the hell wants to see this? Nurmagomedov would've been such a better match. I really couldn't care less about this match to be honest.

True story:

"Yeah, I had Rustam confused for Khabib, doesn’t matter to me though, it’s whatever… somebody wanting to fight me is awesome. They say everyone mostly turns down fights when my name is brought up & offered.” - See more at: http://www.bjpenn.com/ben-henderson...tam-confused-for-khabib/#sthash.w3gh156U.dpuf

Surprised you're not impressed with Rustam though, the guy looks like a stud! His fight with Masvidal was great and then of course there was this:

89289474444.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UFC Albuquerque

Winners

Henderson - Nurmagomedov. Khabib needs a big step up prior to getting a title fight and Henderson will give him that. Bendo's work in the guard against Khabilov showed that he's not without a chance of thwarting Nurmagomedov's wrestling.

Sanchez - Nate Diaz. Another gift decision means he'll likely get another big fight. There's beef with him and Diaz's already and this one you would expect to win bonus money, so I'd expect Nate would be on board.

Dodson - Johnson/Bagautinov winner. Dodson had a tough out against Moraga and despite not looking as good as usual managed to get the finish. Benavidez is the only other possibility, but I think with the timing of the bouts another title shot is on the cards for him.

dos Anjos - Johnson/Thompson winner. Had a good bounce back performance after getting manhandled last time out. Needs another couple of big wins before hoping to get in to the title picture and the streaking Johnson or always tough Thompson would be a great next fight.

Hallman - Chiesa. This guy's a strong grappler, so why not match him with another strong grappler coming off a recent win to see who's better?

Caraway - McDonald. He called for a fight with Mayday in the cage afterwards and I think it's a good comeback fight for McDonald after Faber brutalized him.

Losers

Khabilov - Jury. Showed he belonged in the upper echelon with his performance IMO, so a fight with a guy on a hot streak like Jury makes sense to me. Both are grapplers who have dangerous stand up, so it should be a fun fight too.

Pearson - Gomi. R-O-B-B-E-D! Shouldn't get too big of a bump down the rankings after that and a fight with Gomi (perhaps on the next Japan card) would make for a cracking stand up war.

Moraga - Elliott. Both are coming off losses to two of the top guys in the weight class, so both need a win to get their names back out there.

High - Krause. Looked good at 155 as his strength and wrestling seemed to be overwhelming at times. Krause is a huge lightweight with very good striking and would pose some problems for High. Nice stylistic match up.

Edwards- Retirement. I've enjoyed watching Yves over the years, but he's lost 3 of 4 (would be 4 straight but for Medeiros testing positive for marijuana) and seems to have lost a step.

Perez - Rivera. Both guys love to stand and bang. Would be a great start to a card or a prelim headliner.

"Pearson got robbed. Pearson won that fight clearly. He easily won that fight. We have to treat Pearson like he won and give him that next level fight.”

How do you think Pearson should get now

How do you think Pearson should get now

Honestly, I still like the Gomi fight. He too was robbed in a fight against Diego not long ago and it would likely do well on the next Japan card. A number of the top 10 guys are booked for now, so he either can't expect to fight one of them or can expect a long lay off waiting for one of them.

Who do you think he should fight? I didn't make this thread so only I could play Joe Silva.... have a crack yourself!

UFC 174

Johnson - Dodson. The only fight that makes sense, unless DJ wants to move back up to 135. Dodson had him in trouble in their first fight, can just about match him for speed and looks to be constantly improving.

MacDonald - Winner of Lombard vs Kim. I can't see the UFC keeping Rory on the shelf while the winner of Brown/Lawler gets the next crack at Hendricks. There isn't a fight really that makes sense for him other than the winner of this one.

Bader - Cormier. If DC is looking for a fight to stay busy while waiting for the winner of Jones and Gus, Bader would be a good stay busy fight. Bader did a great job of grinding Feijao down and deserves a step up in competition.

Arlovski - Palelei vs Rosholt winner. Arlovski didn't look convincing at all, but picked up the win over Schaub. The winner of Paleilei and Rosholt will have a decent winning streak going and coiuld make sense as a next step. The timing of their bouts seems to tie in well too.

St Preux - Manuwa. Manuwa went a step too far last time out against Gustaffson, but St Preux would likely be more his level.

Don't think Bader would want any part of DC. But he hasn't turned down a fight before that I know of so why not.

Bader likes fights where has has the distinct wrestling advantage so he can lay on top for three rounds & grind if required.

Don't think Bader would want any part of DC. But he hasn't turned down a fight before that I know of so why not.

Bader likes fights where has has the distinct wrestling advantage so he can lay on top for three rounds & grind if required.
Bader reminded me of any Russian fighter in there on the weekend. Wrestle, stall, get the back but don't use it, Submissions? Yeah right. Pummell slowly. Rinse repeat.
At least the Russians have a bit of flare and let their hands go, which is why I love to watch them, I'm increasingly finding Bader to be boring as batshit however.

UFC Auckland

Marquardt - Ferreira. Nate looked back to his old self against Te Huna, but with it being his first fight back in the division and coming off 3 losses in 4 fights, he can't expect a top guy. Ferreira goes from looking a million dollars to looking like crap in the space of seconds... the talent and athleticism are certainly there, but I'm not sure if the chin/mind are. If Cesar can realise his potential, this could be a fantastic fight.

Rosholt - Arlovski. 3 wins in a row for Rosholt should mean he's due a step up in competition. Arlovski will be a dangerous but winnable next step.

Oliveira - Lamas. I admit, I was well and truly off the Oliveira train after his KO losses to Cerrone and Swanson. He's since gone on to look superb against Frankie, Ogle and now Hioki (who is notoriously hard to look good against). His ground game is top notch and his striking is getting better, so I'd love to see how he would handle a well rounded fighter like Lamas.

Whitaker - Kunimoto. Could be put together for the upcoming Japan card. Kunimoto's coming off a good win over Sarafian and would present a dangerous challenge for Whitaker.

UFC San Antonio

Swanson - Aldo/Mendes winner. He's earned it, even if he has losses to both guys already. Would make a great co-headliner on the year end card or, depending on the health of the Aldo/Mendes winner the Superbowl card.

Gastelum - Maia. Kelvin looked fantastic after a rough first round yesterday and should get a top 10 guy next (provided he can get his weight cut down). Maia hasn't been on the best of runs lately, but has the name recognition that could give Kelvin a huge boost should he find a way to win.

Ferreira - Marquardt. See above.

Lamas - Oliveria. See above.

Hester - Natal. Hester looks like a good prospect, but doesn't look ready for the upper echelon of 185ers just yet. Sapo has decent striking and a very good top game, so should provide an excellent test.

Ellenberger - Silverio. Moontasri gave him all he could handle, but Ellenberger found a way to grind out a win. Silverio has been very impressive so far and is a huge lightweight who appears to be very well rounded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back