Strategy Pick trading pre-draft and mid-draft

Remove this Banner Ad

On the last Lystics podcast they were talking about how Saints should nominate Nick Blakey with pick 4.

Swans have sensibly downgraded their first round pick but it also leaves them exposed with no back up plan to get an alternative gun to Blakey. Quite simply, if Saints nominate Blakey at 4, Swans have to burn those picks in the 30s to pay for him.

Why would Saints do this? To improve their picks 46 and 36, effectively turning them into higher picks.

I see zero risk of Sydney not matching Blakey at 4. There’s no way they don’t grab him and instead use those picks in the 30s, would be mad when he’s such a gun. Saints can effectively upgrade their second/third round picks for free if they’re as certain as I am that Swans would match.
I think GC at 6 should start with Blakey, then move onto any other academy players. Cough up boys

So round 1 will be Thursday night and on Friday the remainder of the draft will pan out.

Eagles end of first round pick will be the first pick on Friday with their 2nd pick being two picks later.

Thoughts are that the overnight break may well follow drafts overseas and see clubs use the time to assess who remains and bid for that pick with offers coming overnight or early the next day.

If a quality kid slides out of the first round it will be interesting to see what unfolds and if any surprising offers for that pick occur.

Eagles in a great position to take some advantage here.

On the last Lystics podcast they were talking about how Saints should nominate Nick Blakey with pick 4.

Swans have sensibly downgraded their first round pick but it also leaves them exposed with no back up plan to get an alternative gun to Blakey. Quite simply, if Saints nominate Blakey at 4, Swans have to burn those picks in the 30s to pay for him.

Why would Saints do this? To improve their picks 46 and 36, effectively turning them into higher picks.

I see zero risk of Sydney not matching Blakey at 4. There’s no way they don’t grab him and instead use those picks in the 30s, would be mad when he’s such a gun. Saints can effectively upgrade their second/third round picks for free if they’re as certain as I am that Swans would match.
Think you need to do a bit more research Dig, Saints bidding at pick 4, rather than another club bidding at 7-10, only forces Sydney to use one extra of those 30s picks to secure Blakey as he will already cost them 26 & 33. Moving up one pick is not a good reason to sour relations with a club you'll need to deal with in future.

7-10 is where Blakey's real worth lies, that's where a bid will come for him.

Why wait until pick 4? Carlton could do this with pick 1. Bid on Blakey, Thomas and Quaynor straight up. These clubs have no option but to match and Carlton can move their late picks up the order a long way.

Why wait until pick 4? Carlton could do this with pick 1. Bid on Blakey, Thomas and Quaynor straight up. These clubs have no option but to match and Carlton can move their late picks up the order a long way.
Maybe on Blakey. I wouldn't be bidding pick 1 on the other 2, might get stuck with them.

Does anyone know if you can trade picks after a bid has been made for your player?

By know I mean has a link to the afl stating that it is possible.

That would be a tad weird as the clubs have plenty of opportunities to manage their pick order via trade week and now with pick trading.

If they wait until drsft night to sort it out then they are leaving it very late.

More likely for clubs to wait for the bid, use up later picks then trade back in earlier to snag a lower pick and player.

Or if no bid is made jump in if the player they want is still there and take away the risk of losing that pick on a bid.

That would be a tad weird as the clubs have plenty of opportunities to manage their pick order via trade week and now with pick trading.

If they wait until drsft night to sort it out then they are leaving it very late.

More likely for clubs to wait for the bid, use up later picks then trade back in earlier to snag a lower pick and player.

Or if no bid is made jump in if the player they want is still there and take away the risk of losing that pick on a bid.

I'm more interested if it's possible. Just a link to a ruling if there is one.

I don't have link , but 5 minutes you would think not enough time for club to make decisive deal .

I think it would for sure.

Say a club bids at 40 and you have pick 41. You can use 41 and the pick disappears. Or you can use pick pick 53 and the pick also disappears. So you go to whoever has picks 50-53 and ask for the best improvement for future picks in exchange for a swap of their pick for 41.

If this is actually allowed (which I doubt) clubs will be prepared for this scenario.

Can u trade a player after you've picked him or does it have to be done before a pick is used

Heard Emma Quayle who works for GWS recruiting on The Age podcast - she intimated one of their factors in drafting is retention which makes sense. This has to be even moreso for GC I think. I've seen some phantoms which have them taking all 3 top SA boys Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee which is a possible retention strategy. Another idea would be to take both Kings but I think one question would be whether they can afford the development time in the NEAFL they would require to be AFL ready.

If GC went the Kings route then they could just pick them at 2 and 3 but a better strategy would be to trade 2 + 29 to Port for 5 + 10. Port take either Rankine or Lukosius at 2, GC take Max King at 3, Saints probably take either of Lukosius and Rankine left at 4 and GC take Ben King at 5 and best available at 6 and 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more interested if it's possible. Just a link to a ruling if there is one.
I can't be bothered going to look for a link, but I know I read an article stating that you can't. Once a player has been bid upon, the team with the right to match can't try to trade any picks it needs to match that bid. And once a player has been announced as drafted with a certain pick, other clubs can't try and jump in and negotiate for that pick.

I'm sure a quick Google search will find you an article stating this.

I can't be bothered going to look for a link, but I know I read an article stating that you can't. Once a player has been bid upon, the team with the right to match can't try to trade any picks it needs to match that bid. And once a player has been announced as drafted with a certain pick, other clubs can't try and jump in and negotiate for that pick.

I'm sure a quick Google search will find you an article stating this.

I couldn't find any articles with quick google search. I hope you are right. If you can be bothered finding it quickly that would be really appreciated.

Does anyone know if you can trade picks after a bid has been made for your player?

By know I mean has a link to the afl stating that it is possible.

It's not possible as I believe that any given pick trade must include the current selection. For example, if it's Gold Coast's turn with pick 3, St Kilda can't organise a trade with pick 4. So, for your example, a team couldn't try to initiate a trade once their player has been nominated.

I'm almost certain that this was mentioned in an article somewhere, but after trying to find it and only being met with pay walls, I gave up.

I couldn't find any articles with quick google search. I hope you are right. If you can be bothered finding it quickly that would be really appreciated.
Is on one of Callum road to draft podcast . It said something about academy players point system not allow to trade during draft night . That is the reason you saw Geelong and Collingwood exchange pick . Collingwood could wait until draft night and use future pick in your scenario .

It's not possible as I believe that any given pick trade must include the current selection. For example, if it's Gold Coast's turn with pick 3, St Kilda can't organise a trade with pick 4. So, for your example, a team couldn't try to initiate a trade once their player has been nominated.

I'm almost certain that this was mentioned in an article somewhere, but after trying to find it and only being met with pay walls, I gave up.

I hadn't heard this, that sounds a bit weird that clubs can't make trades outside their pick window.

Is on one of Callum road to draft podcast . It said something about academy players point system not allow to trade during draft night . That is the reason you saw Geelong and Collingwood exchange pick . Collingwood could wait until draft night and use future pick in your scenario .

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/11/live-trading-offers-afl-clubs-nifty-new-loophole-exploit/

This says that Patrick Keane said that you could trade after a bid has been made:

“If a club can complete a trade in the time before it is required to make its decision, they are allowed to trade. They won’t get any extension of time but they are permitted to do so if they can finalise it.”

Clear as mud.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/11/live-trading-offers-afl-clubs-nifty-new-loophole-exploit/

This says that Patrick Keane said that you could trade after a bid has been made:

“If a club can complete a trade in the time before it is required to make its decision, they are allowed to trade. They won’t get any extension of time but they are permitted to do so if they can finalise it.”

Clear as mud.
I am not going argue with you , but do you really believe in an article that came out three month before Geelong and Collingwood swap pick .

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-10/crystal-ball-how-live-pick-trading-might-look

It is mentioned in the third scenario described (the one involving North).

Cheers. That's pretty clear.

It's odd wording though, I don't quite understand the second sentence.

"Once an academy or father-son player is bid on, that player will essentially count as being 'drafted'. It means a club can't attempt to jump in front of a rival team by swapping draft picks after their academy or father-son prospect has already been bid on."

So this could mean that if a bid comes at 20, and the club whose player it is had 21, that they can't trade for pick 20 as it is locked in as being that academy selection player. But it doesn't say specifically that trading of later selections isn't allowed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back