Analysis Pick Watch - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladder and Draft picks after Round 16
View attachment 524500

I look at this table (love your work) and think there is no way GC take all those picks to the draft or they will bundle a few to try and trade up. I think they could be tempted to take Casboult if Lynch leaves as a foil for 2MP and for whoever they pick to replace Lynch, id be happy with their pick 42. If we were to get that pick id like to try and trade our 2 seconds for a pick around 12.

There is no way Freo go in with that order either, imo both Govs are going there, with Freo trading their first pick for Gov and a Crows 1st.

i know there probably isnt a set or publically revealed rule on this as the afl like to make things up as they go, but does anyone know if the afl can still award a priority pick to us even if we do not apply for one?

i find it so farcical that a club would need to APPLY for a pick in a professional sport anyway but thats another matter altogether. Its obviously damaging to the afl to have such a big club down for so long and now at the lowest point possible so is there any chance they could just give us one? im guessing even in the unlikely scenario where even if they did it would most likely be an end of first rounder however even that would be very useful at the moment even if its not to draft another good young kid, but could also be used to trade in a more developed player to help out.

The AFL can and do whatever they like at any given time, i am convinced they will give GC pick 1 as compo for Lynch leaving (i know thats not how band 1 compo works, i don't care), if that was the case, i could see them forcing GC to trade overs for a Casboult or make them accept under for a Brodie, giving us some form of handout without actually to bee seen as giving us one.

I love the Motlop compo at the Cats last year, i think it was band 2 compo so pick 19 or so, what do you know, it ended up at GC in the Gas trade. GC got ridiculous compo for a guy in his twilight years, the Cats got Gaz, nothing to see here.

It's really quite saddening. I'm feeling quite down about the state of our footy club. I'm also in my mid 40's and can happily reminisce about those days

However, nowadays we are mired in mediocrity. I just don't see us ever achieving industry standards on pretty much anything. For me it's the lack of development. Sure there may be promising signs but the rate of improvement is either too slow or too little. We're at the end of a three year rebuild and we still look hopeless to be frank.

Physically, skillswise and game sense we don't seem to be closing the gap

It's really quite saddening. I'm feeling quite down about the state of our footy club. I'm also in my mid 40's and can happily reminisce about those days

However, nowadays we are mired in mediocrity. I just don't see us ever achieving industry standards on pretty much anything. For me it's the lack of development. Sure there may be promising signs but the rate of improvement is either too slow or too little. We're at the end of a three year rebuild and we still look hopeless to be frank.

Physically, skillswise and game sense we don't seem to be closing the gap
I want to give you the reassurance I need for myself!

We have completely rebuilt our list, so terrible low ebbs need to be expected. The weekend felt like something different.... lack of genuine effort at times..... disrespectful to the jumper at other times.

This is where the coaching staff need to earn their wage. The above needs to be stamped out immediately. It is cancerous.

Old school tactics spring to mind - boxing sessions. Run until you spew. Just over the top training. It needs to be the clearest message. Not cotton wool. Not managed training loads. That sh!t does not matter if your list stalls on effort

I'm in my mid 40's so at least I remember when we were successful. Anyone who is about 30 or younger would only know failure.

I know, I grew up as a kid assuming Carlton just win premierships. Now I have a son that tells me he hates Carlton because they keep losing. (He also loves the Eagles because freaking Nic Nat lives 100m from us and plays in the park with him.)

I'm 30 so was only 7 when we won the 95 flag. Wish I could say I remember it well but I don't. Just a vague memory of watching the game and seeing how pumped my dad was.

He told me about how often we won them and how we were the greatest club in afl history.

He passed away about three years ago. I bet at the time he didn't think that would be the last flag he would see.

I see these 60 year flag droughts some clubs go through, and a small part of me asks "will I actually ever see one?"

Pretty much my whole life I have had the hope that we will be good in 3 or 4 years... then 3 years into that it's still "in 3 or 4 years"

Want to know the days I long for.... 2011... how sad is that.

When this rebuild stated, we were told a 66 game three year rebuild. And I quote.. "we are a club in a hurry".

Three years in, and I'm hearing be patient, we will be good in 3 years or so...

I just.. ... my damn soul has died a little more each week this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lynch leaves the suns....They will get Pick 3 as it stands

So Proposal to GC17

Gives us 3 and 16 for 1 and 29 as long as you leave Walsh on the table for us

Then use 16 for another established mid
Or perhaps wrangle Brodie out instead of 16?

Thoughts ??

At the very least it gives us a base to work on if Adelaide are super super keen!

Navy_Blueblood this is very true although I felt this has also been needed in previous weeks and if this has occurred then it hasn't worked and we are in deeper poo than first thought

And whilst I am fully aware of the extensive rebuild and injury misfortune from the start of pre-season, I still think it was reasonable for myself and all of us to expect more this season. To expect more of our young talent to progress, to expect our standard of play to improve, to continue an upward trend and players to improve year-on-year.

Instead we have returned to pre-Bolton ineptitude with too many players spinning wheels and seemingly going nowhere. The lack of spirit is also reminiscent of those dark 2015 days.

The way I feel at the moment is that I am not willing to cut the club much slack because I simply don't believe that expectations of this nature is asking too much

I'm 30 so was only 7 when we won the 95 flag. Wish I could say I remember it well but I don't. Just a vague memory of watching the game and seeing how pumped my dad was.

He told me about how often we won them and how we were the greatest club in afl history.

He passed away about three years ago. I bet at the time he didn't think that would be the last flag he would see.

I see these 60 year flag droughts some clubs go through, and a small part of me asks "will I actually ever see one?"

Pretty much my whole life I have had the hope that we will be good in 3 or 4 years... then 3 years into that it's still "in 3 or 4 years"

Want to know the days I long for.... 2011... how sad is that.

When this rebuild stated, we were told a 66 game three year rebuild. And I quote.. "we are a club in a hurry".

Three years in, and I'm hearing be patient, we will be good in 3 years or so...

I just.. ... my damn soul has died a little more each week this year.

Feel for ya mate. I'm also 30, my father passed away when I was 21. I was there for that 95 flag.

The 66 game rebuild was sold to supporters to build hope, in reality it was never going to be that fast.

We were never going to be able to turn it all around, making 42 list changes in that short of a period of time.

The reality is, not every draft pick is going to be a future best 22 player. That includes top 15 picks.

Free agency is so flawed it's actually helped keep the strong clubs strong and weaken the weaker clubs. Who is going to leave a club after 8 years to join a cellar dweller side? Let alone a quality free agent seeking a flag. Not going to happen unless we're incredibly lucky.

Priority picks have been out the window. Just another stupid rule that keeps the bottom teams down.

So we've had to trade away anyone worth value that we deemed wouldn't be around for our next flag tilt in order to bring in as many top end draft picks as we could.

It's been a huge list turn over, we've had to rely on a handful of high end draft picks, our senior players are probably the worst crop of senior players I've seen at AFL level in my life. We've spent most of our earlier picks at the draft, so we've had no choice but to try and recycle blokes like Mullett, O'Shea, Shaw, Palmer, Smedts, Lobbe etc using later picks.

We're set to get rid of another 10 players this year. That'll be approx 52 list changes in 4 years. This kind of stuff is absolutely unheard of as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure which other club comes even close to that in history. It's hard to keep hearing it, but we are in trouble for at least another 3 years. All we can do is have faith that this time, when we wait that additional 3 years, we'd have our system right and will be on the up for the next decade. Let's just hope our best players can be patient as well...

Feel for ya mate. I'm also 30, my father passed away when I was 21. I was there for that 95 flag.

The 66 game rebuild was sold to supporters to build hope, in reality it was never going to be that fast.

We were never going to be able to turn it all around, making 42 list changes in that short of a period of time.

The reality is, not every draft pick is going to be a future best 22 player. That includes top 15 picks.

Free agency is so flawed it's actually helped keep the strong clubs strong and weaken the weaker clubs. Who is going to leave a club after 8 years to join a cellar dweller side? Let alone a quality free agent seeking a flag. Not going to happen unless we're incredibly lucky.

Priority picks have been out the window. Just another stupid rule that keeps the bottom teams down.

So we've had to trade away anyone worth value that we deemed wouldn't be around for our next flag tilt in order to bring in as many top end draft picks as we could.

It's been a huge list turn over, we've had to rely on a handful of high end draft picks, our senior players are probably the worst crop of senior players I've seen at AFL level in my life. We've spent most of our earlier picks at the draft, so we've had no choice but to try and recycle blokes like Mullett, O'Shea, Shaw, Palmer, Smedts, Lobbe etc using later picks.

We're set to get rid of another 10 players this year. That'll be approx 52 list changes in 4 years. This kind of stuff is absolutely unheard of as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure which other club comes even close to that in history. It's hard to keep hearing it, but we are in trouble for at least another 3 years. All we can do is have faith that this time, when we wait that additional 3 years, we'd have our system right and will be on the up for the next decade. Let's just hope our best players can be patient as well...

I'm always going to stick fat and keep hope up.

Love this bloody club, which is why they break my heart so much so often.

Good to see Adelaide and the Dogs both suffer heavy losses again over the weekend. We're still in a really good position with their second round picks, and they're starting to run out of time to turn that around.

23 + 26 holds the same value as pick 9. Would be nice to bring in another two top 10 picks.

Good to see Adelaide and the Dogs both suffer heavy losses again over the weekend. We're still in a really good position with their second round picks, and they're starting to run out of time to turn that around.

23 + 26 holds the same value as pick 9. Would be nice to bring in another two top 10 picks.

I too would like us to shop around a combo of our 2nd rounders for an additional top 10 pick. Who do you think will bite?

Yep, succumbed to mediocrity

We are the new Fitzroy

If we were about mediocrity we would take a PP and not do a long term rebuild. We wouldn’t have made the changes we have across the whole club. Between 2000-2015 was about mediocrity but now is about building for long term success

I am still amazed people keep complaining

I too would like us to shop around a combo of our 2nd rounders for an additional top 10 pick. Who do you think will bite?

Id throwing 23 and 26 around and seeing who we could possibly net with them. Id be looking at Dom Tyson from the Dee's, especially if they can get Gaff, I reckon they'd jump at 23 or 26 as their first pick isn't until pick 31in the draft. Jake Lloyd and/ or Nic Newman from the Swans who are both OOC. Lloyd has already turned down two contract offers and Newman is OOC too and on the outer after a good 2017. All three would be good gets for us. All three are in the right age bracket. All quality players IMO.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see SOS trade future picks for picks this year. I reckon he will go all in the year for mature and young players.

Next two years will then be about landing FAs and big fish

Id throwing 23 and 26 around and seeing who we could possibly net with them. Id be looking at Dom Tyson from the Dee's, especially if they can get Gaff, I reckon they'd jump at 23 or 26 as their first pick isn't until pick 31in the draft. Jake Lloyd and/ or Nic Newman from the Swans who are both OOC. Lloyd has already turned down two contract offers and Newman is OOC too and on the outer after a good 2017. All three would be good gets for us. All three are in the right age bracket. All quality players IMO.

Or we get that priority pick :p and grab Brayshaw/Tyson off the Dees and use #26 for Lloyd while taking #23 to the draft for best mid available...

Not sure who will bite. Maybe nobody, but it can't hurt to ask the question. I've been keen on it since the end of last years trade period.

Depends on how each club rates the draft and how they view the prospects likely to be available beyond pick 20.

I just think we're in a really good position with a great deal of flexibility.

Looking at how things are sitting at the moment, if the Suns lose Lynch, I wonder how prepared they'd be to swap some picks to bring in Lukosius. Would be nice to bring in the Eagles first pick and again would open up even more options for us...

Can’t see Tyson or Brayshaw as being options. Newman maybe and Lloyd would be awesome for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back