Pick your 3 for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us the 3 players you will be closely watching or hoping the best for this season and why. Call it breakout, realized potential, turned the corner, whatever you like.

I'm pretty mainstream.

1. Menzel - super excitement machine who might move into elite within 3 years

2. Cripps - a potential clearance beast who might turn our mid-field into an opposition abattoir

3. Curnow - about to rate up their with Crowley as the tightest run-with in the game

1. Lucas - Has oodles of class and can find the footy when he wants. I believe it's all up to him and how far he himself wants to go, I reckon Mick will give him games. Hope he's doing extra this pre-season because it's really his make or break.

2. Menzel - Not much to say, most talented player on our list right now and has the ability to become a top 10 player in the league, we've all seen glimpses, now it's time for him to cement a spot and string a few great games together. 19 years old and we talk of him so highly, wow!

3. Gibbs - In Mick We Trust, he's our best player next season, finally a 23 game season in the midfield and we'll be the ones laughing. Critical player, IMO he can easily stand up to the pressure.

1. Graham. The key to our success has to be guys like graham developing quickly enough to be 80+ gamers before the old brigade retires and leaves it all up to them. All the other mids we have recently drafted are in the same boat, but now Graham has a year under his belt I will be very interested in how his 2014 goes!

2. Rowe. I still have high hopes for him and see a potential key forward. His fitness should be good now and we can actually see what a couple of seasons in the system can do for him skill-wise too.

3. Watson. If he can become an auto first 22 pick for us based on ability, Carlton has so many more options with the backs and forwards. It's a huge knock-on effect.

Menzel: Almost as excited by him as I was Bootsma in his first year. (laugh-worthy I know but Boots has some special attributes. Hope we see them soon)

Bell: Looks very serious and Barker singled him out just an hour ago. 4kgs lighter and he's flying.

Graham: May not get first bite at it but this low pick (#54) is here to stay. Super professional attitude to date.

Smokey: Reynolds may just get an early start and if you're in you have to perform poorly to get out.

Give us the 3 players you will be closely watching or hoping the best for this season and why. Call it breakout, realized potential, turned the corner, whatever you like.

I'm pretty mainstream.

2. Cripps - a potential clearance beast who might turn our mid-field into an opposition abattoir

3. Curnow - about to rate up their with Crowley as the tightest run-with in the game
Thy starting a thread...and its footy related? I call hacked, but FWIW

1. Carrazzo
Even with that shoulder injury his 2012 form was devastating. I've not seen a tagger shut down his opponents and win his own ball so freely since...well, I've just not seen it. Have we seen the best of him? Can he overcome the niggles? Has he slept in the last eighteen months? If he gets back to 2012 form, we have a recruit the equal of Thomas.

2. Tuohy
He's so much fun to watch...gotta love a guy who stands up in big moments. I kind of thought he had the staggers midway through 2012, but he just keeps applying himself and keeps improving. If he can maintain 2013 form but just find the ball another 4-5 times a game it's a big win for us.

3. Lucas
More heart than head, but I just really want to see this kid make it...we need his pace, we need his ball winning, we need his offensive run. I'm not seeing it early doors, but I would love this kid to be one of the projects that MM manages to get the best out of.

1. Menzel - Great hands, footskills and runs both ways ? Looking forward to seeing Menzel have a greater impact on games this year with another preseason under his belt.

2. Cripps - A 194 cm mid who we can stick under the ruck for some easy clearances sounds great to me. Clean hands has been a problem for us in recent years so I'll be keen to see him get some game time in the seniors.

3. Casboult - hoping we can see that potential that we have only glimpsed at with greater consistency. Looks rather timid at times but can come across as a unstoppable juggernaut when he is in good form. Has attributes that none of our other forwards have as well.

• Banned
Thy starting a thread...and its footy related? I call hacked, but FWIW
Used to start heaps of footy threads (back in the old days, son). We all know the older you get the more you dribble. Some big slabs of optimism here already. Loving the faith in the youngsters. :thumbsu:

T60 creates a thread. Nearly the biggest news of the pre-season!!!

1. Menzel - has all the tricks, and as others have noted, is prepared to run both ways. Has already caused a change of pants at Chateau de Numbers.

2. Cripps - 194cm on baller, extractor, sounds a bit like Job Watson.......should add a new dimension to the midfield.

3. Henderson - reckon this is the year everyone in the footy world finally takes notice.

Used to start heaps of footy threads (back in the old days, son). We all know the older you get the more you dribble. Some big slabs of optimism here already. Loving the faith in the youngsters. :thumbsu:

8e254f7867cad5c315735713ad823aec6cd75de7428824bcb23ef4e7e076903f.jpg

I'm pretty mainstream.

1. Bell - Will become that big bodied midfielder/clearance player we have lacked.

2.Menzel - Kid just oozes class could have a breakout year ala Chad Wingard.

3.Yarran - hope he gets released to the wing if he fulfills his potential will become a match winner for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Casboult - some day, around round 6, things will finally click for Levi. You won't be able to wipe the smile off his face as the ball sails through the big sticks.
  2. Sheehan - his first game will be a special moment in his second chance to play AFL.
  3. Docherty - gets to realize his childhood dream of wearing the navy blue jumper.

Tough one as I have a bit of a list.

1. Yarran - Gifted with elite ball handling skills, speed, agility, brains and is a great size and build for the game. This guy could be anything and so much more than an impact flanker. Perfect attributes to be a premier onballer but his application has not allowed this to happen.

2. Menzel - Has a great build for the game, great athlete, good skills and strong in the air and on the ground. Not sure if he will be breaking out this year as he may have a bit to learn just yet but this kid will be good if he doesn't have any setbacks.

3. Walker - He's been one of our best for the last few seasons, mastered the forward pocket, mastered the back flank but this might be the year where he plays the role he was born to play. A bit like thylacine60 . He and Thomas could be the ultimate forward/midfield pair.

Honorable mentions to Carrazzo, Watson, Docherty, Cripps, Holman, Giles, Graham, Tuohy, Lucas, Buckley, Murphy and Gibbs.

1. Murphy - A new(ish) captain finding his voice and coming into his own in that role. A full preseason should see him hitting the heights that had him mentioned in 2011's Brownlow talk.

2. Menzel - Because there's a bandwagon and I want on it.

3. Yazzamataz - Because I'm expecting some razzamataz. He'll get out what he puts in and god I hope he puts in. If he can build his fitness and run through the middle, and if he can up his second efforts, then it's going to be an exciting year!

Last edited:
1. Kane Lucas- He showed us that he can play at this level last season. Tall and has great attributes. With the interchange cap and with his ability to play mid/fwd he is going to be useful. Defensive pressure was a critisim so hopefully he has worked on his strength.

2. Thomas- Gun player with a busted ankle that will never recover (according to the filth supporters anyway), has had a good preseason.If he gets up and running our midfield brigade gets stronger.

3. Menzel - We have all seen him. Enough said.

1. Casboult: we've been craving a genuine power forward ever since the demise of Fev, and of the players currently wearing the Navy Blue, Levi is the one who has the raw materials to be that player. Tall, strong contested mark, big powerful body - hurts people without even trying - and a really catchy name. Sort the kicking out and get an injection of confidence into him early and watch out! I think by now he's a bit of a long shot to really make the grade, but I'm still quietly hoping.

2. Bell: fast and brutal, tackles blokes like he's trying to dent the surface with their body, potential to be a midfield enforcer - something we have needed for a while (tired of seeing our guys being bullied by the likes of Hawthorn). I want to see Tommy make the grade.

3. Menzel: so much was made of his knee issues but no-one doubts his talent. I want to see him blossom this season and begin a fantastic career for the Blues, adding that x-factor to our forward line. And may his knees never see a surgeon's table-top again! He'll be our Stevie-J.

Others I enjoy and really want to see prosper:
Garlett - always been a fave of mine; by the time Eddie left, Jeffy had just about superceded him anyway. Eddie just had a few more years experience.
Tuohy - big man-crush on this dude - we really hit a bullseye recruiting him; he's a natural, pure and simple.
Hendo - to back up an excellent season in 2013 and go on to be a bona fide superstar this season. The fact that we got him by trading Fev makes it the sweetest trade ever - and gets sweeter with every passing season!
Juddy - some say he's gawn, most at least agree that his best is behind him. I want to see the great man return to his best this year and show the doubters who's the man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back