Prediction Pick your 3 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Jack Martin - said it before, he's the one that could change our fortunes the most by consistently reaching his potential.
2. Paddy Dow - last chance saloon for Paddy. If he's in our starting 18 come end of year, he'll have had taken the leap we'd hoped. HUGE offseason. Needs to become that 20-25 average disposal and goal a game player we need with his skills a POD in the middle.
3. Charlie Curnow - He's fit and has a few games under his belt. He simply MUST have a trouble-free summer and hit 2022 at full speed. A fit and firing Charlie Curnow makes Harry better and the team better.

If the three of these guys have a good year (not even great, just good) - we WILL make finals.

Also considered: Honey and Durdin - one of these guys will pop in a year or two. They've got the body and skills, just need the mindset and application. One of them (unlikely both) will be in #17. Honey has the best chance right now but Durdin I realllly like.

Charlie Curnow the most obvious, love to see the best of him.
TDK, hopefully taking over the main rucking role.
Martin, injury free run and elevates his game to elite levels.

1 & 2 - Cripps and Dow. We’ve been playing with an absolutely awful setup on the ball, spreading way too far wide and forward off the player trying to win the ball which leaves them to get mauled around the contest and makes it very difficult to get back and defend when it doesn’t go our way.

Take a look at the North Melbourne game where a poor team spanked us just by getting numbers closer to the ball, our setup is exhausting as well as being unlikely to get the result. Only gut runners like Walsh and Ed have been able to excel.

I’m not going to make too many assumptions about Voss before we’ve played under him but given where he spent his career, the areas he was in charge of at Port and the positive comments he’s made about refining Cripps’ role I think one thing he would know is how to make a successful on ball division. I’m expecting a lot more competitive midfield and our on ballers having a much more realistic chance at competing.

3 - Docherty. You don’t keep men like this down. They are made of something most people could only dream of. He’ll be back hungrier than ever, a great leader who will inspire his team mates to keep going.

Last edited:
TDK: play the year out as #1 ruck, continue improving the way we hope
Charlie: play the year out as a tall fwd, get back to his explosive best
Williams: play the year out, spending a good amount of time in the middle/wing.

Plenty of honorary mention, pretty much half the list or more; Marchbank, Cuningham, Cripps, Martin, McGovern, Docherty, Kemp, Philp, Durdin, Honey, Carroll, O'Brien, Fisher, Motlop, Young, Stocker, Walsh, Harry, Weiters, Saad, Akeui....

1 & 2 - Cripps and Dow. We’ve been playing with an absolutely awful setup on the ball, spreading way too far wide and forward off the player trying to win the ball which leaves them to get mauled around the contest and makes it very difficult to get back and defend when it doesn’t go our way.

Take a look at the North Melbourne game where a poor team spanked us just by getting numbers closer to the ball, our setup is exhausting as well as being unlikely to get the result. Only gut runners like Walsh and Ed have been able to excel.

I’m not going to make too many assumptions about Voss before we’ve played under him but given where he spent his career, the areas he was in charge of at Port and the positive comments he’s made about refining Cripps’ role I think one thing he would know is how to make a successful on ball division. I’m expecting a lot more competitive midfield and our on ballers having a much more realistic chance at competing.

3 - Docherty. You don’t keep men like this down. They are made of something most people could only dream of. He’ll be back hungrier than ever, a great leader who will inspire his team mates to keep going.

There are so many but for me it’s Cripps, Williams and Charlie.

Cripps at his best is one of the best players in the competition as influential as the likes of Wines, Neale, the Bont, Oliver, Petracca and Martin. Whilst he wasn’t terrible last season, aside from a few games he never really hit the highs of 2019. I can understand the concerns that some have that the rule changes have quelled his influence but he seems incredibly driven to improve and I feel the addition of Voss as a mentor will be important in getting him back to his best. If his struggles are terminal then given his status and the length of his contract we will have a big problem unless Dow, Kennedy and/or Setterfield can make a star jump I just can’t see any of them capable of making.

Williams was disappointing next season, mainly because he talked up his midfield credentials pre season but didn’t back it up on the track. At his best he’s an All Australian calibre half back flanker capable of saving opposition goals and creating goals for his team. In light of the recruitment of Cerra and Hewitt I’ll take that version of him. If he can find form and stay on the park he and Saad could form a partnership for the ages down back. Like Cripps I’ll back him to get back to his best, but similarly, if he doesn’t then we have another expensive under performer limiting our ability to improve.

Finally I can’t wait to see what Charlie can do next season. If we are to take the next step to make finals and challenge for a flag then we really need him fully fit and playing at a very high level. A key forward partnership of Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow playing close to or at their full potential will go a very long way to getting us to where we want to get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Paddy Dow is set to explode. He’s the one I’m most excited about. Clearance machine who I think Voss will get the best out of.

Mirkov, his height, plus volleyball background, gives him the potential to be the best tap ruckman in the league. He was beautiful to watch in the VFL. Hoping his tap work can elevate him into the ones, even if he is a bit of a liability in other areas, first use of the ball would be a game changer for the team.
McDonald, think wise size and marking skills he is the most likely to replace Jones, I hope he can do a great job and really own that position.
Parks, love how physical he is, be great if he could play consistently like he did against Essendon. I look forward to watching him and Stocker (the bash brothers), smashing into other teams forwards, players like them make everyone else walk taller.
Nice thread Thy.

Mirkov, his height, plus volleyball background, gives him the potential to be the best tap ruckman in the league. He was beautiful to watch in the VFL. Hoping his tap work can elevate him into the ones, even if he is a bit of a liability in other areas, first use of the ball would be a game changer for the team.
McDonald, think wise size and marking skills he is the most likely to replace Jones, I hope he can do a great job and really own that position.
Parks, love how physical he is, be great if he could play consistently like he did against Essendon. I look forward to watching him and Stocker (the bash brothers), smashing into other teams forwards, players like them make everyone else walk taller.
Nice thread Thy.

I am fairly sure the OP is talking about the AFL team, not VFL.

They didn't hide Mirkov he just came from nowhere, he has played half a season of C grade amateur footy and a handful of VFL games, prior to this he played jnr footy and wasnt selected in any representative squad and most likely never considered an AFL career. Hopefully he makes it but is far more unlikely than likely to play 50 games.

They didn't hide Mirkov he just came from nowhere, he has played half a season of C grade amateur footy and a handful of VFL games, prior to this he played jnr footy and wasnt selected in any representative squad and most likely never considered an AFL career. Hopefully he makes it but is far more unlikely than likely to play 50 games.
Sam Edmund last year,
Alex Mirkov
“The Blues are said to be hiding one. He’s a hard man to hide, he’s a former volleyballer and officially on Carlton’s VFL list.”

“He’s 21, 210cm and 104kg. Watch this space on Alex Mirkov. He’s a chance to join the Blues.”

There was other media people saying similar at the time regarding hiding, since we rest him from the VFL so other teams couldn’t see him play.

He was also a pro volleyball player, probably the reason why he wasn’t in the AFL squads you mentioned. Someone tapping a ball past an opponent at the net, who can leap, who is also 10cm taller than most ruckman in the league. Sounds like good attributes to me.

We played him in one VFL game at the start of the year against Brissy and he killed it, he played maybe one more game in the VFL, if that, months later. Doesn't seem totally improbable we hid him

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We played him in one VFL game at the start of the year against Brissy and he killed it, he played maybe one more game in the VFL, if that, months later. Doesn't seem totally improbable we hid him

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last year was a pretty easy year to hide a few players given the lack of games

Nice thread Thy.
Are you talking VFL potential?

Cerra - seeing him deliver the ball into F50 will have me (and Harry/Charlie etc) salivating
Williams - will be better for the run.. and his run from the HBF will be spectacular
Saad - see above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back