Pick your all-time Australia v England Ashes line-up.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Harsh on KP.

He acquitted himself against the best teams of his generation. None were as good as the windies but he still tamed some good sides in just about all conditions. Gooch averaged 44 against the windies too - a great effort but not superhuman.
That innings in India from KP was unbelievable, one of the best ever imo.

On these best of lists I reckon it's just ridiculous trying to include and rate players posters have probably have never seen play properly themselves bar a few highlights.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
That innings in India from KP was unbelievable, one of the best ever imo.

On these best of lists I reckon it's just ridiculous trying to include and rate players posters have probably have never seen play properly themselves bar a few highlights.

This.

To quote Turkish, Gooch was as bent as the soviet sickle and as hard as the hammer that crosses it.

But Christ almighty Pietersen played some amazing innings.

I wouldn’t quite place him in the great player category but he was a player of great innings. That is absolutely indisputable. He played a multitude of them.

Within his first 8 tests against Australia he played two classics, one of which often gets forgotten because Warne ran through England in the second innings at Adelaide. There are 7-8 others.

The guy was a genius on his day.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Off the top of my head without too much reflection.
May later if I give it more thought in time.

Ponsford
Langer
Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist
Miller
Warne
Lillee
Lindwall or McGrath

12th man Steve Waugh

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Come to think of it, given the legend of what Thommo did to the minds of their batsmen before my time maybe he gets in the 11 and no McGrath or Lindwall.

Actually yep, think I go with Thommo

Lillee and Thommo to open the bowling.
Miller first change then Warney into the attack. Talk about an attacking and flamboyant bowling attack.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

1. Rob Quiney
2. Shane Watson (c)
3. Alex Doolan
4. Callum Ferguson
5. Mitch Marsh
6. Shaun Young
7. Matthew Wade (wk)
8. Bryce McGain
9. Jason Krejza
10. Joe Mennie
11. Scott Muller

12 man. Brad Williams

ENGLAND

1. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
2. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
3. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
4. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
5. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
6. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
7. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
8. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
9. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
10. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003
11. Any English cricketer from 1989 to 2003

12th man. Ronnie Irani
But where should Phil Tufnell field? Gully or first slip?

Combined:

_98767878_ashes_xi_final_editorial.png

Using stats for this now:

Australia:

1. Barnes
2. Morris
3. Bradman
4. Border (c)
5. Miller
6. S Waugh*
7. Gilchrist (+)
8. Benaud
9. Warne
10. Lillee
11. McGrath

England

1. Hobbs (c)
2. Sutcliffe
3. Hammond
4. Barrington
5. Pieterson
6. Greig
7. Ames (+)
8. Briggs
9. Bedser
10. Willis
11. Underwood

*Waugh average more at 5 than Miller, by about 3 runs. However Waugh averaged over 20 more than the next best Aussie at 6 and as such I put Miller at 5 and Waugh at 6 because it made more sense to put it that way.

Went the two spinners for each side due to the likes of Miller and Waugh for Australia or Hammond and Greig for England having the ability to bowl quality seam bowling in the top 7. Using the format I did the mixed XI would be:

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman
Barrington
Miller
Waugh
Gilchrist
Benaud
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Lillee Thommo Hazlewood Starc Steve Waugh Adam Gilchrist Alan Border Steve Smith Shane Warne Pat Cummins(all rounder) Haydos

Mark Taylor love him in maybe as replacement for Haydos.

Haydos (Taylor)
Gilchrist
Steve Waugh
Alan Border
Steve Smith
Pat Cummins
Shane Warne
Hazlewood
Starc
Lillee
Thommo

A bit light on for batting but the bowling combination would rip through the opposition that much,a score of 200 would give us a lead.

I'm going by what I have seen in real life.

Obviously Bradman,Harvey,Miller Benaud who was a great spinner in his day would be inclusions but I am going by my best that I have seen.

Last edited:

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Australia :, Mathew Hayden, Bradman,Greg Chappell, Alan Border ,Steve Smith, Adam Gichist,Keith Miller ,Shane Warne,Denis Lillee, Glen McGrath, Terry Alderman 12th Ricky Ponting I'm sure Bradman would be a good opener. My alternate favorite players team would be; David Warner, Graham Yallop, Kepler Wessels, Dean Jones, David Boon, Mark Waugh ,Rodney Marsh, Greg Mathews, Mitchell Johnson, Bruce Yardley , Jeff Thompson 12th Jason Gillespie

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Lillee Thommo Hazlewood Starc Steve Waugh Adam Gilchrist Alan Border Steve Smith Shane Warne Pat Cummins(all rounder) Haydos

Mark Taylor love him in maybe as replacement for Haydos.

Haydos (Taylor)
Gilchrist
Steve Waugh
Alan Border
Steve Smith
Pat Cummins
Shane Warne
Hazlewood
Starc
Lillee
Thommo

A bit light on for batting but the bowling combination would rip through the opposition that much,a score of 200 would give us a lead.

I'm going by what I have seen in real life.

Obviously Bradman,Harvey,Miller Benaud who was a great spinner in his day would be inclusions but I am going by my best that I have seen.

Hazlewood. Based on 7 tests?

Geez, you might as well pick david boon by isolating his 6 tests in the 1993 series.

Back