Opinion Pick your best 22 for Rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to swap McKay for Casboult but I can't see it happening for Rd One. He will get his chances soon enough.

Still need to fit O'Brien Polson LeBois Lang Schumacher Kerr Macreadie McDaid into that side somehow :) Then there will be Docherty

Not sure how Doc finds his way back into the side, trade bait perhaps...

:$

I'd love to swap McKay for Casboult but I can't see it happening for Rd One. He will get his chances soon enough.

Still need to fit O'Brien Polson LeBois Lang Schumacher Kerr Macreadie McDaid into that side somehow :) Then there will be Docherty

If he’s fit Lang must slot in for Round 1, yeah? I’d see him replacing Garlett in your team. Other than that I think you’ve got it right. Would love Harry to get a game because you can see it means the world to him, but Levi has that role at the mo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he’s fit Lang must slot in for Round 1, yeah? I’d see him replacing Garlett in your team. Other than that I think you’ve got it right. Would love Harry to get a game because you can see it means the world to him, but Levi has that role at the mo.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not easy and that's good. Garlett impressed me last night. Looks a steal.

Getting pretty tough to name just 22, but here we go:

Simpson Jones Plowman
Weitering Marchbank Byrne
SPS Cripps Fisher
Dow Casboult C.Curnow
Pickett JSOS Wright

Kreuzer Kennedy Murphy

I/C: Thomas Cuningham Williamson E.Curnow

Can very much see in 12 months time Harry being in that 22 and Casboult out.

Looks about right for round 1, Garlett, Lang & McKay will hopefully get a decent amount of games throughout the year.

Still don't like the 4 tall backline...think it will rob us of a lot of our run and we are trying to be more attacking.
But those 4 players are easily in our best 22 on talent/performance. Then there's Macreadie who is unlucky to be missing out.

After last night...

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Ciaran Byrne
HB: Kade Simpson, Caleb Marchbank, David Cuningham
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF: Jarrod Pickett, Jacob Weitering, Zac Fisher
F:Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Matthew Kennedy, Marc Murphy
I/C: Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Jack Silvagni, Jarrod Garlett/Darcy Lang

- Weitering forward as playing three tall backs against the Tigers is pushing it let alone four.
- Silvagni is a tricky one, but he has nous and can provide good cover when Charlie plays up the ground and Casboult rucks.
- Williamson to get some time on the wing matching up against Grigg and McIntosh.
- Garlett or Lang (maybe both if we drop a tall) as a half-forward/wing option, injuries should decide which plays.

B: Plowman -- Jones -- Weitering
HB: Simpson -- Marchbank -- Byrne

C: SPS -- Cripps -- Murphy
R: Kruezer -- Kennedy -- Dow

HF: Wright -- CCurnow -- Fisher
FF: Silvagni -- McKay -- Casboult

Int: Pickett -- Cuningham -- Williamson -- Lang / Garlett (whomever is fit)

I was hoping he might be the solution to our small forward problem in defense.

Matty Wright will still bust his arse and get us 30 goals.

Expecting more on the scoreboard from Murphy also.

We’ve also got an abundance of skilled mids that can hoof it from 40/50 and hope they get greedy.

Have always worked on the 30 scoring shots will win more games than you lose principle.

Me everyday. At the moment

B: Byrne Jones Marchbank
HB: Cuningham Weitering Williamson
C: Pickett Cripps Simpson
HF: SPS Charlie Fisher
F: Wright Casboult Silvagni
Foll: Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
Int: Dow Curnow Garlett Plowman
Em: McKay O'Brien Thomas

Just follow this handy workflow:

Do you have Lamb in your team?
No: next step
Yes: get rid of him

Do you have Byrne in your team?
Yes: good job
No: maaaaaaate

Mine hasn't changed for a while

Seniors

Plowman Jones Simpson
Byrne Wetering Marchbank
SPS Cripps Williamson
Krezuer Kennedy Murphy
Curnow Casboult Garlett
JSOS McKay Pickett

E Curnow Lang Dow Fisher

VFL

Macreadie ASOS Mullet
O'Shea JGM Schumacher
Polson Graham O'Brien
Phillips Kerridge Cuningham
Shaw De Koning Wright
Lamb Kerr Lobbe

Thomas McDaid Lebois Rowe

I can just hear people now, "No Wright!". I just believe guys like Pickett, Garlett, Fisher, plus resting mids will be better option forward, come mid year.

I hope I am wrong though, has been extremely durable and consistent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can just hear people now, "No Wright!". I just believe guys like Pickett, Garlett, Fisher, plus resting mids will be better option forward, come mid year.

You may well be right, but we're talking round one here - not what we are hoping for / expect to see come the end of the season.

Wright I think is hugely undervalued by some - for mine he's clearly our best option in the forward pocket as things currently stand. Maybe that changes this year but he's got the runs on the board and it's up to the chasing pack as to whether they'll displace him.

FWIW I don't think it'll happen. Not this year anyway.

You may well be right, but we're talking round one here - not what we are hoping for / expect to see come the end of the season.

Wright I think is hugely undervalued by some - for mine he's clearly our best option in the forward pocket as things currently stand. Maybe that changes this year but he's got the runs on the board and it's up to the chasing pack as to whether they'll displace him.

FWIW I don't think it'll happen. Not this year anyway.

Agreed, at this stage he starts round 1

Based on what i saw last night the starting 22 for round 1 would be :

B: Plowman -- Jones -- Simpson
HB: Marchbank -- Weitering -- Byrne
C: SPS -- Cripps -- Murphy
HF: Wright -- CCurnow -- Fisher
FF: Silvagni -- McKay -- Casboult

R: Kruezer -- Kennedy -- Dow

Int: ECurnow -- Cuningham -- Williamson -- Garlett

Thanks to PumpyChowdown whose side was very close and only needed a couple of tweaks. :thumbsu::D

Agreed, at this stage he starts round 1
I've held the same opinion as you re: Wright, but he looked incredibly sharp yesterday. He might hang around the fringe of the squad for a few years yet.

Pickett and Garlett may not be able to run out games for another season as things stand, and Fisher is a risk there too, which leaves the door wide open for him.

Mine hasn't changed for a while

Seniors

Plowman Jones Simpson
Byrne Wetering Marchbank
SPS Cripps Williamson
Krezuer Kennedy Murphy
Curnow Casboult Garlett
JSOS McKay Pickett

E Curnow Lang Dow Fisher

VFL

Macreadie ASOS Mullet
O'Shea JGM Schumacher
Polson Graham O'Brien
Phillips Kerridge Cuningham
Shaw De Koning Wright
Lamb Kerr Lobbe

Thomas McDaid Lebois Rowe

I hope I am wrong though, has been extremely durable and consistent
Interesting that you have Williamson as a Centre. Has he ever played there or are you just trying to fit him into the team?

My best 22 for round 1....

Fb: Plowman Jones Byrne
Hb: Cuningham Weitering Simpson
C: E Curnow Kennedy Williamson
Hf: Pickett C Curnow Fisher
Ff: Wright Casboult Mckay
R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

IC: SPS Dow Garlett Thomas
Update after JLT 1:

In: Marchbank J. Silvagni
Out: Mckay Pickett

Fb: Plowman Jones Weitering
Hb: Cuningham Marchbank Byrne
C: Simpson E. Curnow Williamson
Hf: Garlett C Curnow Fisher
Ff: Wright Casboult Thomas
R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

I/C: Dow SPS Kennedy J. Silvangi

Had Mckay in over Marchbank for the original team as having both is probably too tall. Then JLT 1 came around and I remembered how good Marchbank is so he's straight back in. I want Jack in the team and it came down to dropping Thomas or Pickett. I went with dropping Pickett for round 1. Think he showed glimpses in JLT 1 but didn't look quite fit enough and didn't quite involve himself enough, he's close but not yet.

Against the Tigers I'm happy with this team knowing they'll bring their manic pressure, I think the strength of the big boys in Cripps and Kennedy plus Kreuz and the outside class in Fisher, Willo, Murphy and Sps will be enough to get past the pressure and hit our talls up, am not sure how they'll go. Astbury came on really well and will take Casboult, allowing Rance to be that loose intercept defender, which he's absolutely freakish at. I'm still tempted to squeeze Mckay in to make both Rance and Astbury accountable which lets Curnow create mismatches everywhere, I just think we wont have quite enough run that way.

BEST 22

Byrne - Jones - Plowman
Simpson - Weitering - Marchbank
SPS - Cripps - E.Curnow
Wright - C.Curnow - Pickett
Silvagni - McKay - Casboult
Kreuzer - Kennedy - Murphy
Dow - Fisher - Cuningham - Williamson

Notes:
- Lang and Garlett unlucky but will play plenty.
- Haven't given up on Kerridge.
- Thomas, Mullett, Lamb, Macreadie and O'Brien as depth as all are handy at this stage of their careers.

- Love our tall backline, everyone can intercept and offer something on the rebound.
- Now is the time to pump games into McKay, we can play him with Casboult as Curnow and Silvagni are flexible in my opinion despite their heights.
- Liking our midfield mix this year, 4 mids fresh on the bench that can rotate forward and back. Expecting a lot of goals from our midfield this year.
- Our team looks insanely promising and with another year of astute trading and drafting like the previous 3 years it will be bloody hard to pick a 2019 best 22.

Need to straight up drop a couple. Jlt had 26 man squad.

Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, Simpson, Byrne, Plowman as my back six.

McKay, Casboult, Pickett, Wright, C Curnow, Silvagni as my forward 6.

Cripps centre. Kennedy and SPS on the wings.

Kruezer, Murphy, E Curnow on the ball. (Ed to sit on Dusty).

Int: Fisher, Willow, Dow, Thomas on the bench.

Maybe Cunners in for Daisy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back