Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson Jones Plowman
Weitering Marchbank Williamson
Murphy Kennedy Dow
Silvagni Curnow Pickett
Wright McKay Casboult
Kruezer Cripps Curnow

Cunningham Macreadie Daisy Fisher, Byrne

Garlett needs some time in reserves to build himself up. Last spot on the bench is up for grabs but think Macreadie on a wing would be deadly. Can be our Blicsavs. Has the pace, aerial skills and mobility to play.

Williamson Jones Marchbank
Cuningham Weitering Byrne
SPS Cripps Simpson
Fisher Casboult C Curnow
Wright McKay Pickett

Kruezer Murphy Kennedy

Ed Curnow Dow Garlett Plowman

Need to see Lang before he can be picked.

It has to be said that the Tigers match up pretty well against our forwards. Rance to McKay, Astbury to Caz, Grimes to Charlie. Short, Houli and Vlastuin can all run long and hard and Fisher,Pickett and Wright will have to be ready to go. Garlett will add to the defensive forward pressure.

The Tigers forward line can be controlled: Jones on JR, Marchbank on Caddy, Weitering on Townsend, Byrne on Butler, Cuningham on Castagna, Williamson on Bolton and Simpson/Plowman the spare in defence.

In the midfield I would expect Kreuzer to win in the ruck and around the ground, although Nankervis competes strongly. Cripps, Murphy, Kennedy, SPS, Ed, and Dow should be able to match Martin, Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, Grigg and Graham.

I have left out SOJ and Macreadie, who I regard as next in.

Contrary to popular opinion I do not think SOJ is slow, but he is not as fast as Pickett/Garlett and I want to see them given a solid go and see first hand how the impressive Tiger small forwards do their stuff. The other option would be to play SOJ ahead of Wright who he is quicker than. My concern here is that it might make the forward line a bit tall. And that Wright keeps on doing the right things.

On paper I reckon we measure up pretty well. The game will be won/lost on whether we can exploit their game plan better than they exploit ours. This won't be known until after the game.

SPS Cripps Simpson
Fisher Casboult C Curnow
Wright McKay Pickett

Kruezer Murphy Kennedy

It has to be said that the Tigers match up pretty well against our forwards. Rance to McKay, Astbury to Caz, Grimes to Charlie. Short, Houli and Vlastuin can all run long and hard and Fisher,Pickett and Wright will have to be ready to go. Garlett will add to the defensive forward pressure.

The Tigers forward line can be controlled: Jones on JR, Marchbank on Caddy, Weitering on Townsend, Byrne on Butler, Cuningham on Castagna, Williamson on Bolton and Simpson/Plowman the spare in defence.

In the midfield I would expect Kreuzer to win in the ruck and around the ground, although Nankervis competes strongly. Cripps, Murphy, Kennedy, SPS, Ed, and Dow should be able to match Martin, Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards, Grigg and Graham.

Contrary to popular opinion I do not think SOJ is slow, but he is not as fast as Pickett/Garlett and I want to see them given a solid go and see first hand how the impressive Tiger small forwards do their stuff. The other option would be to play SOJ ahead of Wright who he is quicker than. My concern here is that it might make the forward line a bit tall. And that Wright keeps on doing the right things.

On paper I reckon we measure up pretty well. The game will be won/lost on whether we can exploit their game plan better than they exploit ours. This won't be known until after the game.
Like it really like it! Plenty of run up forward with 3 talls and 3 smalls and throughout the side . Wright yes not quick but always seems to get to the right spots and get loose no chance he wont be there unless injured . Garlett/Pickett yes probably dont deserve a spot just yet but we need their extra run and will only get better for the experience . Im warming to Cunners off the back flank liked his game the other night and gives us extra run in defense which i think we need (again he'll only get better for the experience ) and allows Simpson to go back to his best spot as the sweeper deep in defence .
And probably the best bench weve had for many years . :thumbsu:

Getting pretty tough to name just 22, but here we go:

Simpson Jones Plowman
Weitering Marchbank Byrne
SPS Cripps Fisher
Dow Casboult C.Curnow
Pickett JSOS Wright

Kreuzer Kennedy Murphy

I/C: Thomas Cuningham Williamson E.Curnow

Can very much see in 12 months time Harry being in that 22 and Casboult out.
I like your side HBF but wouldn’t mind McKay on the bench in place of Thomas, and have McKay rotate with Kreuzer and Casboult.

Wondering how many people will change their best 22 prior to round 1

Byrne. Jones. Marchbank.
Plowman. Weitering. Simmo.
Cuningham. Ed. SPS.
Jack. Casboult. Pickett.
Charlie. Harry. Wright.

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Murphy.
I. Kennedy. Willa. Dow. Fisher.

E. Macreadie. Lamb. Garlett.

(Lang not fit)

Some tweaks to my round 1 team of a few days ago after ‘JLT1’ ...

Byrne. Jones. Marchbank.
Plowman. Weitering. Williamson.
Simpson. Ed. SPS.
Jack. Casboult. Pickett.
Wright. Charlie. Kennedy.

I. Dow. Cuningham. Fisher. McKay.

E. Garlett. Macreadie. O’Brien.

Kid can play I agree, however I expect we will rest him a bit as we have several 6 day breaks this year.

Yeah that's true but we have a bit of depth now good to see us finally saying that.

But so impressed with Dow I know it was only a practice game but I like his style.

Not afraid to put his body on the line and has good speed out of congestion.

SPS Cripps Simpson
Fisher Casboult C Curnow
Wright McKay Pickett

Kruezer Murphy Kennedy

Good side! i agree we need speed against tigers thats why we need Pickett and Garlett in there and tbh jsos was pretty putrid untill the last qrt the other night his last qrt was awesome so it makes it a tough one to choose now

Some tweaks to my round 1 team of a few days ago after ‘JLT1’ ...

Byrne. Jones. Marchbank.
Plowman. Weitering. Williamson.
Simpson. Ed. SPS.
Jack. Casboult. Pickett.
Wright. Charlie. Kennedy.

I. Dow. Cuningham. Fisher. McKay.

E. Garlett. Macreadie. O’Brien.

Good side. Only change for me would be Garlett for McKay. Need extra run against Tigers and at MCG. McKays time will come

Byrne. Jones. Marchbank.
Plowman. Weitering. Simmo.
Cuningham. Ed. SPS.
Jack. Casboult. Pickett.
Charlie. Harry. Wright.

I. Kennedy. Willa. Dow. Fisher.

E. Macreadie. Lamb. Garlett.

(Lang not fit)
I love this squad. Arguably Garlett for Willa but splitting hairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, Simpson, Byrne, Plowman as my back six.

McKay, Casboult, Pickett, Wright, C Curnow, Silvagni as my forward 6.

Cripps centre. Kennedy and SPS on the wings.

Kruezer, Murphy, E Curnow on the ball. (Ed to sit on Dusty).

Int: Fisher, Willow, Dow, Thomas on the bench.

Maybe Cunners in for Daisy.

That's a big back 6, let alone against the tigers that will have a fleet footed forward line. A Mullet or O'shea maybe.

I'd also play a smaller/quicker player instead of McKay ie Lang or Garlett.

I reckon you could be right with Cunners for DT.

Selection will be interesting we have a lot of good tall players coming through but surely we can't play them all. Maybe a Weitering on the wing.

Last edited:
i get the pickett love but getting 5 touches a game ain't enough imo. lamb for me can get a goal a game an shut down tigers run at this stage.

I would not mind seeing Thomas being squeezed out of our squad.
Not sure it will happen round 1 however if the young blokes progress as we hope by the middle of the year i can see Daisy out of the 22.

i get the pickett love but getting 5 touches a game ain't enough imo. lamb for me can get a goal a game an shut down tigers run at this stage.
If two of SPS, Williamson, Garlett and Lang are fit for round one, we can get away with neither one playing.

I think Pickett needs to calm down and gain some composure and realise that the style by which he currently plays puts himself under immense pressure to show that he can be useful. He knows he doesn't get the ball often enough so he think he needs to do something special every time he does get it. That's why we see all these 'glimpses' of amazing feats, which usually don't result the desired finish.

If he could try get involve himself more with the general play that'd do wonders for his confidence ie. push himself up the ground and get involved in some handball chains or collect a few kicks.

I'd love to swap McKay for Casboult but I can't see it happening for Rd One. He will get his chances soon enough.

Still need to fit O'Brien Polson LeBois Lang Schumacher Kerr Macreadie McDaid into that side somehow :) Then there will be Docherty
Mckay MUST play every came hes not injured.
Full stop. Even if the argument was that he may not be as productive as Levi (which is highly debatable based on what we've seen so far) this is his year to develop and show what hes made of.
And the place to do that is on the biggest stage - no way to find out his true ability without playing at the highest level...

ASOS has to play.
I hear the love for ASOS.
He did everything and more when given the opportunities last year....if he hadn't gotten injured it'd be interesting to see what his status would've been like come the end of the year- maybe wed be talking abt him like Jonesy.
I do wonder if there isn't room or even a need for both of them in the one side.
As much as Liam is an absolute athletic beast with a tremendous leap, Alex is a rock solid, physical, tough lockdown defender who can go toe to toe with the best (as we saw with Buddy) and I think he'd add alot to side with an already impressive array of rebound and intercept coming out of the backline.
In short as impressive as Liam has been, there is a part of the game that I believe Asos brings to the side that may even add to Liam.

The question than.obviously becomes how you fit in all those talls .
1) As much as we all wish it wont there are bound to be.injuries- especially in the backline.
2) Weltering moved around- on the wing.

Sure most of this has been covered already but thought it would be.worth my twobob

Mckay MUST play every came hes not injured.
Full stop. Even if the argument was that he may not be as productive as Levi (which is highly debatable based on what we've seen so far) this is his year to develop and show what hes made of.
And the place to do that is on the biggest stage - no way to find out his true ability without playing at the highest level...
Spot on. No point playing McKay in the VFL.

I have him on the bench, rotating with Casboult and Kreuzer.

Yeah that's true but we have a bit of depth now good to see us finally saying that.

But so impressed with Dow I know it was only a practice game but I like his style.

Not afraid to put his body on the line and has good speed out of congestion.

Agree. According to the book of Bolton chapter 2 , the word is "endure"

Me everyday. At the moment

B: Byrne Jones Marchbank
HB: Cuningham Weitering Williamson
C: Pickett Cripps Simpson
HF: SPS Charlie Fisher
F: Wright Casboult Silvagni
Foll: Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
Int: Dow Curnow Garlett Plowman
Em: McKay O'Brien Thomas

This team looks great!
I would only swap Fisher with Pickett because he seems more of a natural midfielder than Pickett.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about this team... Kinda trialing new positions.
It might work against Richmond because we have too many talls back.

B: Simmo Jones Plowman
HB: Byrne Marchbank Garlett/Williamson
C: SPS Cripps Cuningham
HF: C Curno J Silva Fisher
F: Wright Casboult Weitering
Foll: Kennedy Kreuzer Murphy
Int: Dow E Curno Pickett Thomas
Emerg: H Mckay Obrien Lamb Polson

Thoughts??

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back