Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Weitering Marchbank Byrne

R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
C: Williamson Kennedy SPS

HF: Fisher C.Curnow Wright
FF: J.Silvagni Casboult Pickett

Bench: E.Curnow Garlett Cuningham Dow

I'd like to see us revert to playing extra numbers up around the ball, ala Bolton's first year 2016. Can put more pressure on opposition ball carriers and push forward when we have the ball.

IMO the extra numbers back last year was just due to concerns around very young KPDs, but then Marchbank & Alex were better than expected plus Jones happened. Also this style kind of hurt Weitering's game - he's a lot better intercepting than he is guarding opposition leads.

McKay should be given plenty of chances to take that FF position from Levi too.

b plowman weitering docherty
hb pickett marchbank cuningham
c dow cripps sps
r kreuzer murphy kennedy
hf lamb curnow garlett
f mckay lobbe thomas

int o-o-o-o'brien lang

ok i am missing x2 but the above are all first round picks...

Not sure about this team... Kinda trialing new positions.
It might work against Richmond because we have too many talls back.

B: Simmo Jones Plowman
HB: Byrne Marchbank Garlett/Williamson
C: SPS Cripps Cuningham
HF: C Curno J Silva Fisher
F: Wright Casboult Weitering
Foll: Kennedy Kreuzer Murphy
Int: Dow E Curno Pickett Thomas
Emerg: H Mckay Obrien Lamb Polson

Thoughts??
I like it because I agree we can't play the tall backline against them. It killed us last year.
As long as at least one of Weitering, Plowman, Jones or Marchbank are resting on the bench at anyone time we could probably get away with them all playing backline. (75% game time avg)

Forgive the intrusion, with no Docherty, do you expect Marchbank to get more touches in the backline/being an outlet?

Cheers

Spot on. No point playing McKay in the VFL.

I have him on the bench, rotating with Casboult and Kreuzer.

I want McKay to play but what is better? Splitting time with Casboult and Kruezer or getting a full run in the reserves? I hope he gets around 15 plus games in the seniors this year but he also needs to get a good run at it.

I hope by mid year he is playing as the Key Forward target with some minutes in the ruck surrounded by Silvagni Charlie and our mids.

not sold on byrne. maybe if he pulled his socks down i could..

he has first crack over mullet an shaw so high pressure to perform which is good.

can plowman play in the middle or forward, at times we may need him to as teams go small.

I like it because I agree we can't play the tall backline against them. It killed us last year.
As long as at least one of Weitering, Plowman, Jones or Marchbank are resting on the bench at anyone time we could probably get away with them all playing backline. (75% game time avg)
I think our talls now are good enough at ground level to get away with it. We won't have another Rowe vs Caddy 1v1 in the forward 50 this year.

Forgive the intrusion, with no Docherty, do you expect Marchbank to get more touches in the backline/being an outlet?

Cheers
Marchbank has a good defensive game & is probably the worst kick of our defenders so I don't think that's likely. Probably Weitering who plays a more loose role, he's great at reading the play & a good kick (while not being as good defending an opponent).

Last edited:
Random thoughts/observations

Having watched the Tigers again tonight (I know it's only jlt and only north) but there's no way you can go in against that team with casboult and McKay both playing. Rance brings the ball to ground and then they're off like a shot out of a gun. For me casboult still gets first crack at it, with jsos Pickett fisher wright etc nipping around at the foot of the stoppage and locking the ball up.
IMO we have a backline that can go with any team in the league, including the Tigers. Don't mind the extra height back there as nobody is really lumbering or lacking too badly in pace.

Send Ed to limit Dusty as much as he can, keep tight tabs on Cotchin, be efficient with our chances up forward, and limit our turnovers coming out of defence. It's going to take a supreme effort to win this game; but the beauty of being in a comp that atm has no absolute standout team is there's always a chance

Having watched the Tigers again tonight (I know it's only jlt and only north) but there's no way you can go in against that team with casboult and McKay both playing. Rance brings the ball to ground and then they're off like a shot out of a gun. For me casboult still gets first crack at it, with jsos Pickett fisher wright etc nipping around at the foot of the stoppage and locking the ball up.
IMO we have a backline that can go with any team in the league, including the Tigers. Don't mind the extra height back there as nobody is really lumbering or lacking too badly in pace.

Send Ed to limit Dusty as much as he can, keep tight tabs on Cotchin, be efficient with our chances up forward, and limit our turnovers coming out of defence. It's going to take a supreme effort to win this game; but the beauty of being in a comp that atm has no absolute standout team is there's always a chance

Agree with you there's evey possilibilty that our young talent can surprise anything could happen if they're able to galvanize and rise to the challenge.
However I don't think the premiers will give up easily, just a little too polished an opposition for the young Baggers , Tigers get up an amazing momentum if given a tiny sniff.
Richmond will win it easily in the end, but we'll be very worthy opponents I expect and go in very hard.

FMD last year they were easybeats (they werent) now they have won the premiership they are elite(they are not) . We are right in this game . They wont be invincible and we are a hell of a lot better

Beer n Skittles, I love it and make only a few changes:

FB: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Marchbank Weitering Byrne

R: Kreuzer Cripps Dow
C: Williamson Murphy SPS

HF: Garlett C.Curnow Fisher
FF: J.Silvagni Casboult Pickett

Bench: E.Curnow Cuningham Kennedy Wright

Emerg: Thomas MacReadie McKay

TA

I think for 2018 going into 2019 we all understand the importance of Mckay. Having said that, he has to show more to hold down a round 1 spot. The JLT is a 75% pace game that he should be able to effect the outcome of if he wants to push ahead of someone like Casbault.

I liked his game in JLT 1 but I liked it in the context of development only. I'm really hoping he shows us a tad more in JLT 2 for us to take him seriously for a r1 2018 best 22 spot.

He is still more hope that reality...so it might be VFL for the early part of this season. BUT, if he kills JLT game 2 then it is game on!

Go Mckay - earn it!

Not sure about this team... Kinda trialing new positions.
It might work against Richmond because we have too many talls back.

B: Simmo Jones Plowman
HB: Byrne Marchbank Garlett/Williamson
C: SPS Cripps Cuningham
HF: C Curno J Silva Fisher
F: Wright Casboult Weitering
Foll: Kennedy Kreuzer Murphy
Int: Dow E Curno Pickett Thomas
Emerg: H Mckay Obrien Lamb Polson

Thoughts??

Like this team.

Weitering is worth a shot fwd given our balance and the fact that we face Richmond R1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Plowman Jones Byrne
CHB: Simmo Marchbank Williamson
C: Dow Cripps SPS
CHF: Fish C.Curnow JSOS
FF: Wright McKay Pickett
FOL: Kru Kennedy Murphy
INT: Weitering Cuningham E.Curnow Lang

EM: Garlett Macreadie Cas

Its time to give McKay a shot at the level without 3 key forwards in his space. Another year in the VFL doesn't do him any good. Lets look to the future

I hate saying this but tigers look really good.More confidence in their play,more even list spread and definitely at this stage no hangover.However having said this their depth will be tested if some of their key players get injured referring more so to their structure the like of Rance,Nankervis and Riewoldt.

Rance plays free with Astbury manning the main tall. If you want to nullify rance you make him accountable to an opponent. Playing McKay and casboult does that as it severely limits his ability to zone off and be a third man up.

I hate saying this but tigers look really good.More confidence in their play,more even list spread and definitely at this stage no hangover.However having said this their depth will be tested if some of their key players get injured referring more so to their structure the like of Rance,Nankervis and Riewoldt.

Don't usually see the 'hangover' until halfway through the following season. Confidence is really high right now. No injuries. Wait till a few fall over and it all becomes a hard slog, and then we'll see if they're still up for it.

Here's how I think we will line up:

FB: Marchbank Jones Byrne
HB: Cuningham Weitering Simpson
C: Pickett Cripps Garlett
HF: Fisher C.Curnow Thomas
FF: Wright Casboult Jack
FOL: Kruezer Kennedy Murphy
INT: E.Curnow SPS Dow Plowman
Emerg: Lamb O'Brien Macreadie

Not considered: Williamson Lang

Should do well.

Last edited:

HB: Byrne Weitering Simpson
Emerg: Lamb O'Brien Cuningham

Should do well.
You can add a player as you picked Byrne twice.

HB: Byrne Weitering Simpson
Emerg: Lamb O'Brien Cuningham

Should do well.

That's expecting a lot of Byrne.