Prediction Pick your Rucks Vs Brisbane out of Soldo, Nank, Chol and Balta.

Pick your ruck combination Vs Brisbane.


  • Total voters
    119

db26

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2007
2,499
5,226
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Not what i think they will do but id do it.

Nankervis against Martin. Chol in a fwd pocket with plenty of time on ball and Balta at the least on the bench.If their tall fwds get away from us or we are looking to stretch em fwd Balta gives us that flexability'. It would be nice also if we gave him more than a half of a game.

Im really hoping we give up on this nonsense of him playing as a back up ruck, ffs lets give him a specific role and develop him where he should be developed and thats as a KPP either fwd or back but lets develop him in the one role for starters.

We play so many of our youngsters out of their best roles and after they have shown they are up to their best roles at the level are given other roles. i reckon its us catering to the older players to some degree.
I think Jack and Lynch can stretch lions defence and even better pushing Nank up there.Nank is more capable around the ground then most think and always involved in play.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freezer

Team Captain
Oct 25, 2007
510
342
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The mighty MUFC
Soldo and Nank for sure.

Soldo rucks 60-70% and on the bench the rest of the time. Nank spends 30% forward, 30-40% rucking and the rest on the bench.

Nank is definitely capable as a deep forward and could give Jack and Lynch a chop out. Jack can also play up the field a bit.

This would maintain two talls in the fwd 50 and a top line ruckman playing at all times. Nank could ruck up forward when he’s there, leaving soldo a kick behind the play.

Don’t forget how good Nank is when the ball hits the deck and his smarts around the ground. The lions are a great stoppage team and having Nank in there as required should help us nullify this area, especially against there 2nd choice ruck.

Still plenty of pace in the team, but these big blokes will give us the best chance of restricting the lions clearance work, which is a big part of their game.
 

Dr Awkward

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2009
4,565
2,506
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Surprised this poll is so one-sided.

We already have two key forwards, I'm not sure its smart to have Nank rotating down there as well. I love Nank but if he doesn't mark it he won't be any use on the deck, Chol is more mobile.

Also, seems like a risk to play a new structure that we haven't played with all year. I'm going to say Soldo plus Chol. Chol was going really well until it got wet.
 

JAKLAUGHING

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Nov 20, 2008
22,980
40,020
Tokyo
AFL Club
Richmond
Depends how the game unfolds...
Can see Soldo as main man...with either Nank playing up forward with JR floating up the ground further...
Or Nank down back floating around as the Rance defender...
Either way we have options to trial...we are still good enough to beat BLs, not our ideal Team to have but still pretty damm good!
Having both Nank/Soldo against BLs will tell us more about them in our structures as we go deep into September!
 

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
7,443
8,454
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldn't be surprised if Dimma is foxing.It is unusual for a coach to give away selection secrets for a finals game early in the week. I'm calling a ruse.
 

RunningBounce

πŸ† πŸ†
Jun 12, 2013
3,561
7,361
AFL Club
Richmond
If this is some ideal world and I'm somehow on the match committee, Nank and Balta. I'm big fan of Lil Ivvy, but Nank has the proven track record as a premiership 1st ruck. And in a perfect world, I want to see Balta as the 2nd ruck, playing the Shane Griggs wing / ruck possie.

But it's no perfect world. Balta's form doesn't warrant selection.

I'd say the Match Committee is indicating it will be Soldo and Nank. I reckon this could be right:

Soldo rucks 60-70% and on the bench the rest of the time. Nank spends 30% forward, 30-40% rucking and the rest on the bench.
 

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
Aug 19, 2009
6,066
13,764
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Play Nankoldo to their strengths.

Soldo is easily our best tap ruck. He changes our midfield at stoppages in a very positive way. Does a bit otherwise. But basically play him to his strengths.

Nank is a great around the ground and good forward. Great intercept mark and loves to hit a contest. Not so good at taps. So play him are a floating ruck rover, rest forward when JR or Tom have a rest, and take their 2nd ruck and smash them senseless.

Seems pretty easy to me. Play the 2 to their strengths and we're way ahead of any other combo. This forces Nank to play (in some way) 2nd fiddle to Ivan. But imagine having big Nank as your opponent if you're a mid. If Nank can adapt he could really take the game apart.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tora tora tora

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
5,153
8,103
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I think our best 2 ruckmen are Nank and Soldo. But the best combination will be Nank and Balta. Going into this game I'd select Nankdo. Because if Nank coming back from injury, injures himself, Soldo can take over. Nank gets through OK, drop Soldo for Balta or Chol
 

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
17,421
21,990
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Nank and Chol or Soldo and Chol.

Been pretty adamant for a while that Nank/Soldo is the wrong balance and dynamic. I hope I'm wrong though.
 

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
3,581
5,907
Other Teams
RICHMOND
if we had a totally fit list it would go like this.

Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
Houli - Rance/Balta -Stack/Broad. We dont have Rance but we do have Balta. Are we going to ask Broad to punch out of his weight division again. We got away with it once will we again.If fit Stack for the uber softie Short.With no stack Broad

Ross - Martin - Edwards. This imo is our best mid set up.
Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

Lambert - Riewoldt - Castagna
Chol - Lynch - ####

Graham - Caddy - Baker - #####

Couple of spots im up in the air about id rather go with blokes who have a harder edge about them.
 

Rioli8217

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2019
836
821
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Personally I like the combo of Nank and Chol for the future. Nank is a short ruck with good muscle and around the ground ability. Chol has shown his use down forward during the Saints game and in the other games. I like Soldo as he is a genuine ruckman but is too slow to keep up with Grundy, Gawn and the like. Not too fussed as we have never been a good tap-winning team as shown coming last for centre clearances (averages) yet somehow have won more than the top four teams in that categroy.
 

THE_GUN

Keep trying ...... SON
Dec 28, 2007
25,678
44,207
3121
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
The way i look at it Soldo did nothing wrong and looks like he is really starting to break through in the ruck and should not be dropped so that leaves the question of who is 2nd ruck.

Balta did not have a good game and should be dropped which leaves Chol & Nank
Watched the VFL final 2 times and until 3 quarter time i had Chol in before Nank but Nanks last quarter got him over the line for me so it should be a Nank/Soldo combination.

Soldo 70% Ruck
Nank 30% Ruck + 30% Fwd
Lynch/Jack will be rested 15% each which provides the option to play nank 30% fwd whilst not pushing Nank too far
 

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
17,421
21,990
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
if we had a totally fit list it would go like this.

Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
Houli - Rance/Balta -Stack/Broad. We dont have Rance but we do have Balta. Are we going to ask Broad to punch out of his weight division again. We got away with it once will we again.If fit Stack for the uber softie Short.With no stack Broad

Ross - Martin - Edwards. This imo is our best mid set up.
Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

Lambert - Riewoldt - Castagna
Chol - Lynch - ####

Graham - Caddy - Baker - #####

Couple of spots im up in the air about id rather go with blokes who have a harder edge about them.
Broad is as safe as they come. There is no chance he would come out of the defensive unit this finals series, even if Stack was fit. He shouldn't either, he's reliable and always plays his role.
 

Heisenberg_

17πŸ†19πŸ†
Sep 4, 2004
34,399
38,965
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Personally I like the combo of Nank and Chol for the future. Nank is a short ruck with good muscle and around the ground ability. Chol has shown his use down forward during the Saints game and in the other games. I like Soldo as he is a genuine ruckman but is too slow to keep up with Grundy, Gawn and the like. Not too fussed as we have never been a good tap-winning team as shown coming last for centre clearances (averages) yet somehow have won more than the top four teams in that categroy.
Grundy has far less impact when competing with Soldo then when he’s been up against Nank.
 

Top Bottom