Prediction Pick your Rucks Vs Brisbane out of Soldo, Nank, Chol and Balta.

Pick your ruck combination Vs Brisbane.

• Total voters

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Tiger rucks in 2019
CombinationRounds in 2019Total
Nankervis & Balta1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 87
Soldo & Chol15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 227
Soldo & Balta9, 11, 12, 234
Nankervis (solo)21
Coleman-Jones & Balta101
Chol & Balta131
Nankervis & Chol211

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Think it will be fine.

Chol has only played 50% or so game time when he has been in anyway. Solution could be:
- Soldo 60% ruck 40% bench
- Nankervis 40% ruck, 30% forward, 30% bench

The 30% Nank is forward we could either shift Lynch/Jack up the ground, or give either of them a spell on the bench. So I don't think you have to worry about Lunch, Nank and Jack being in the forward line together at any stage.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
i'm in the minority according to the vote but i like nank for his experience and ruck craft and chol for his mobility and spread.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Interestingly, Soldo and Chol have played together 7 times and we have won all those games.

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Chol doesn’t really do anything other than show potential. Balta has shown a little more but still is mostly potential at this stage.

Nank offers more than both of them even if he plays less time in the ruck than Soldo.

The good thing is that if the game is on the line we can roll Nank into the ruck for most of the last quarter and he’ll be fresh.

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Interestingly, Soldo and Chol have played together 7 times and we have won all those games.

Probably explains why they have played 7 times together rather than why we won. If you’re winning you can accept mediocre performances but Chol didn’t do enough to cement his spot in the team.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Not what i think they will do but id do it.

Nankervis against Martin. Chol in a fwd pocket with plenty of time on ball and Balta at the least on the bench.If their tall fwds get away from us or we are looking to stretch em fwd Balta gives us that flexability'. It would be nice also if we gave him more than a half of a game.

Im really hoping we give up on this nonsense of him playing as a back up ruck, ffs lets give him a specific role and develop him where he should be developed and thats as a KPP either fwd or back but lets develop him in the one role for starters.

We play so many of our youngsters out of their best roles and after they have shown they are up to their best roles at the level are given other roles. i reckon its us catering to the older players to some degree.

This is finals so tanking with Nank, Chol and Balta in the same side is out of the question.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Nank, Soldo and Lynch aren't great at ground level.It means we are playing two less ground level players and that's what worries me.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Problem with Chol and Balta who is not a second ruck more so Chol he goes missing still to much in games for me can't have that in finals.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
cant see Balta getting dropped. He gives us much needed flexability and cover for the back half. He copped a cork against Brisbane and only had 55% game time.

People do realise if he plays it will be as a defender.Its where they have had him in the vfl and his last game he did a bit of pinch hitting in the ruck as well.
This is finals so tanking with Nank, Chol and Balta in the same side is out of the question.
lol they have said Nankervis will play, if they KEEP Balta the only real change would be Chol for Soldo and you think we are tanking. So Nank Balta and Soldo isnt tanking eh.

Its funny your all rose coloured and fine with some of the biggest squibs in the comp but can not bring yourself to see others get a go replacing those squibs.

Lets see
Astbury will probably get McStay at 195/100kg. Grimes will get Charlie Cameron a small. It leaves Broad at just 191/89kg to take on hipwood at 204cm kpf
Its a massive mismatch.
To add to this they will play both McInerney and Martin and they will try to stretch us by rotating them fwd.Then theres the 193cm Berry who will likely start fwd along with good sized 187cm mediums in McCluggage and Raynor.

Just my opinion but its better to have some insurance in the team than get reamed if it goes pear shaped.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
cant see Balta getting dropped. He gives us much needed flexability and cover for the back half. He copped a cork against Brisbane and only had 55% game time.

People do realise if he plays it will be as a defender.Its where they have had him in the vfl and his last game he did a bit of pinch hitting in the ruck as well.

lol they have said Nankervis will play, if they KEEP Balta the only real change would be Chol for Soldo and you think we are tanking. So Nank Balta and Soldo isnt tanking eh.

Its funny your all rose coloured and fine with some of the biggest squibs in the comp but can not bring yourself to see others get a go replacing those squibs.

Lets see
Astbury will probably get McStay at 195/100kg. Grimes will get Charlie Cameron a small. It leaves Broad at just 191/89kg to take on hipwood at 204cm kpf
Its a massive mismatch.
To add to this they will play both McInerney and Martin and they will try to stretch us by rotating them fwd.Then theres the 193cm Berry who will likely start fwd along with good sized 187cm mediums in McCluggage and Raynor.

Just my opinion but its better to have some insurance in the team than get reamed if it goes pear shaped.
Balta was very ordinary against the Lions.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Balta was very ordinary against the Lions.
And unlike the spuds you back in each week he had a good reason having copped a corky and only playing 55% game time.

For me with Rance out Balta is best 22 along with Ross and Stack.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Out: Balta
In : Nankervis

Don't like this move. Something that's worked for like 9 weeks straight and we are really shaking things up. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see this as optimal.

Nankervis is our best ruckman and is in our best 22 players with experience in finals
He is also fantastic dropping back into defence when needed and also kicks goals when up foward and playing against brisbane who have Stefan Martin who is a very good experienced ruckman we would be mad to leave nank out of this game.

Both Jack & Lynch will spend 10% time on the bench as well as 20-30% time Nank will be rested

Nankoldo
45 hitouts
29 kicks
15 handballs
3 goals
10 tackles

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

Lets see
Its a massive mismatch.

What's the reason to drop Soldo you lost me there improvement week by week and a genuine 200 cm plus ruck.Mate we cannot go to tall and loose our run that's our game plan we use speed.I think Soldo will be first ruck and Nank second roaming around he can always drop into defence and cover the hole.Our back 6 have been great why would you change it in a final you don't make the amount of changes you suggest to a side the way we have been traveling fine tune it.I think we can expose them up forward Nank pushing up there and Dusty to they don't have a matchup for Jack either.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Don't like this move. Something that's worked for like 9 weeks straight and we are really shaking things up. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see this as optimal.
Nank has only played one of our last nine games, I don’t really think we were working on the ruck combos to determine our number one ruck. We were forced to try different things because our Premiership ruckman has been injured.

We’ve played with two ruckman essentially every game this year so it’s really nothing new.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Nank has only played one of our last nine games, I don’t really think we were working on the ruck combos to determine our number one ruck. We were forced to try different things because our Premiership ruckman has been injured.

We’ve played with two ruckman essentially every game this year so it’s really nothing new.
It is because they are both number 1 rucks, while Chol and Balta are more your mobile KP utilities/ 2nd rucks.

I just don't think it's an optimal balance.

Back