This is how I see it.

(Locks are bolded)

B: (Open spot) - Talia - Lever
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Laird
C: (Open spot) - M.Crouch - (Open spot)
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacobs - Sloane - B.Crouch
Int: (Open spot) - (Open spot) - (Open Spot) - (Open Spot)

15 locks and 7 open spaces.

I expect
2 spots to go to Doedee, Brown or Cheney
4 spots to go to Seedsman, Atkins, Milera, Knight, Menzel, Hampton, Gallucci, Douglas or Mackay
1 spot to go to CEY or Thompson

If fit Brown is a dead set certainty to play round 1 IMO

I also think Pykey is very keen to get Jnight in the side

Must say i dont know how well Doedee went in the SANFL last yr and what role he played ect to get an early game with no injuries hed have to have serious midfield ability.

What I gathered when I asked the question about Doedee is that his best role in the Crows line up is as a more attacking option than Brown and Cheney are in the back half. With Smith and Laird already covering that role maybe he is an inclusion in case of injury AFL player for now

What I gathered when I asked the question about Doedee is that his best role in the Crows line up is as a more attacking option than Brown and Cheney are in the back half. With Smith and Laird already covering that role maybe he is an inclusion in case of injury AFL player for now
I personally see him as somewhere in between Cheney and Smith - good at both attack and defence. In the Easton Wood mound, obviously not of his calibre though.

Brown Hartigan Lever
Laird Talia Cheney
Smith Sloane Seedsman
Lynch Walker Cameron
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Jacobs M.Crouch B.Crouch
CEY Hampton Douglas Atkins

Doedee, Obrien, Thompson, Mackay, Knight, Otten, Milera, Menzel, Galluci, Poholke, Dear, Wigh

Decent depth there.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Thommo start ahead of CEY, Milera ahead of Hampton, Menzel have a good preseason and start, Knight ahead of Douglas.

Knight no where near certain starter though. Will need to show his worth in NAB games.
Imo, Knight will be comfortably in our best 22.

Brown Hartigan Lever
Laird Talia Cheney
Smith Sloane Seedsman
Lynch Walker Cameron
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Jacobs M.Crouch B.Crouch
CEY Hampton Douglas Atkins

Doedee, Obrien, Thompson, Mackay, Knight, Otten, Milera, Menzel, Galluci, Poholke, Dear, Wigh

Decent depth there.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Thommo start ahead of CEY, Milera ahead of Hampton, Menzel have a good preseason and start, Knight ahead of Douglas.

I rewatch the SANFL games quite a bit and could see that CEY was approaching beast mode towards the end of the season. His 1 percenters are better than Thommos. Hampton to me is better than Brown or could play Mackay's role .... so CEY and Hampton would be my round 1 picks as well.

Knight no where near certain starter though. Will need to show his worth in NAB games.

Don't under estimate how highly rated he is at the club

Injuries destroyed his 2016 season, he is an absolute work horse on the track and only needs to stay injury free to get an early opportunity and when he does he will nail it

Imo, Knight will be comfortably in our best 22.

The only question mark is over his ankle. It's dogged him for two years now.

Greenwood is the other one I'll be watching with interest. For someone who spent so long out of the game, his footy awareness seems extremely high. With another pre-season under his belt, I can see him going past the likes of CEY and Gore pretty quickly in a race for a spot in the side.

Injuries destroyed his 2016 season, he is an absolute work horse on the track and only needs to stay injury free to get an early opportunity and when he does he will nail it

I have heard he is training extremely well, working his arse off. He seems keen as for a big year. Hope he stays on the track.

Understand he is highly rated but there are a number of guys also who can't crack a game. He will have to show it during a game to be considered best 22. As we have seen with Mackay training means zero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those picking Hampton over Milera are having a laugh

Thats jumping the gun, neither have proven themselves YET, whoever steps up to the plate first gets the gig and deserves to, if it means good performances in the pre season comp so be it, if it means good perfomances in the SANFL then so be it.

There are no free lunches because people think one player has POTENTIAL what a crap word, results are the only thing that matters

Too early to finalise the team but there are some players that will definitely start round 1

B: Brown - Talia - Lever

C: Hampton - M.Crouch - Cameron

HF: Lynch - Walker - Knights

Int: Seedsman - Atkins - Milera - Ellis-Yolmen

Obviously the highlighted players I believe will be automatic selections and the others may or will change before Rd 1. Given that it will be a new year I felt that we should start our year off with the young guns and get them to meld. I just could put Thommo, Douglas or McKay into the line up at this stage. Again as the preseason progresses they may come back into consideration. I like the looks of Greenwood and I am hoping that Doedee can place pressure on Brown. Others I am still considering and want to see how they do in the preseason are Wigg, Kelly, O'Brien, Beech, Cheney and Menzel. At this stage I have not considered any of our new players.

Last edited:
Too early to finalise the team but there are some players that will definitely start round 1

B: Brown - Talia - Lever

C: Hampton - M.Crouch - Cameron

HF: Lynch - Walker - Knights

Int: Seedsman - Atkins - Milera - Ellis-Yolmen

Obviously the highlighted players I believe will be automatic selections and the others may or will change before Rd 1. Given that it will be a new year I felt that we should start our year off with the young guns and get them to meld. I just could put Thommo, Douglas or McKay into the line up at this stage. Again as the preseason progresses they may come back into consideration. I like the looks of Greenwood and I am hoping that Doedee can place pressure on Brown. Others I am still considering and want to see how they do in the preseason are Wigg, Kelly, O'Brien, Beech, Cheney and Menzel. At this stage I have not considered any of our new players.
Cameron not an automatic selection?

Had a good year but did go missing on occasions needs to prove himself as a consistent performer to be granted Automatic selection

Although McGovern shouldnt be auto selection either went missing on occasions
Yeah I assumed if Gov was an automatic selection, CC should be too.

Neither should be auto inclussions until they find consistancy we cant afford to carry anyone
I'm not sure you'll find another team in the league (bar maybe GWS) that had best 22's that included players that produced more consistent numbers than Gov and CC (Syd had Papley/Richards/Rohan, WB had Cordy/Roberts).

I'm not sure you'll find another team in the league (bar maybe GWS) that had best 22's that included players that produced more consistent numbers than Gov and CC (Syd had Papley/Richards/Rohan, WB had Cordy/Roberts).

Werent saying thay wont be in the team, but automatic inclussions is the Gold pass only given to playesr who have the runs on the board in all ways, like the other ones picked

Same could be said about yourself

But do you think McGovern or CC warrant an automatic selection with some of the inconsistency they have shown they need to prove themselves to get that gold pass

The comment was about a standard selection
Unless they are unfit or fall off a cliff - yes. Same could be said of any player

Our improvement will come from those guys more than Sloane talia tex and betts

Unless they lose their way through injury or off field issues they are automatic selections every day of the week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back