Prediction Pick your Top 8 for 2020 - The Nostradamus was never here thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a horrible dream/nightmare last night that I was looking at the paper and Geelong was to play Collingwood in the Grand Final.

Lose/lose for me.
Chris Scott's a campaigner, but Eddie's a c***.

I had a horrible dream/nightmare last night that I was looking at the paper and Geelong was to play Collingwood in the Grand Final.

Lose/lose for me.

Ahh the dreaded "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy" scenario.

Lose/lose for me.

Rest assured Geelong are yonks away from a flag and Collingwood, well, they've turned out to be good entertainment value in grand finals over the years (with the notable exception of 2010.)

GWS
Bulldogs
Tigers
Brisbane
Pies
West Coast
Saints
Swans

Out of 8 on average: Geelong, Gold Coast

Bottom 4:

Hawks
North
Adelaide
Melbourne

Last edited:
which teams are sydney better than as it stands?

need to be better than 10 to make the 8

Gold Coast

Only one I can say with certainty. Maybe Adelaide if they just blow it up and tank.

We're just about locks for bottom 4 imo

Gold Coast

Only one I can say with certainty. Maybe Adelaide if they just blow it up and tank.

We're just about locks for bottom 4 imo
GC upgraded 4 onfield positions (Ellis, Greenwood, Rowell, Flanders) and likely two bench spots (Anderson, Rankine). Rowell and Flanders seem physically equipped to play. King and Lukosius a year better. A push toward the 8 this year could be on the cards.
If Buddy has another year like last I wouldn't pencil us in above them just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC upgraded 4 onfield positions (Ellis, Greenwood, Rowell, Flanders) and likely two bench spots (Anderson, Rankine). Rowell and Flanders seem physically equipped to play. King and Lukosius a year better. A push toward the 8 this year could be on the cards.
If Buddy has another year like last I wouldn't pencil us in above them just yet.

If they can double last year and win 6 games they can consider that a massive success. They were historically bad, they were like 5 total points off being 0-22.

which teams are sydney better than as it stands?

need to be better than 10 to make the 8
Fremantle have lost outside run. Besides Fyfe the potential of their list hasn’t reached in any heights. New coach might help.

Suns are really poor.

Blues played well enough for Teague to get the job but who knows if that rolls into 2020.

Crows lost a lot of experience so not sure they will suddenly click.

St Kilda their list isn’t great.

I have us finishing same as last year but given we have one of the youngest lists and without Franklin we could easily be a bottom 4. One thing in our advantage is that the younger guys have played a lot of football already.

This prediction has us coming last:think:

What an absolute tool whoever predicted that. We rarely miss finals. The players who retired were well past their best and in some cases probably didn’t deserve their place

What an absolute tool whoever predicted that. We rarely miss finals. The players who retired were well past their best and in some cases probably didn’t deserve their place
Or in some cases like Nick Smith never even played a game in 2019.

Its an interesting case study these 2020 predictions on websites, of how little or how well each predictor actually knows the Swans. You can easily pick it up in their comments

I was thinking instead what a wonderful gamble the swans are at 4-1 to make the 8.
- hardly ever miss the 8
- ruck and clearance problems potentially resolved
- youngsters a year older
- full year from buddy hopefully
- great draft pick ups
- list almost entirely free of injury
- list with massive upside
- earlier start to pre season
- deadwood now gone

Yep 4-1 sounds like overs to me to finish just ahead of mid field in a field of 18. Given he thinks we’ll run last perhaps I should see if the author will offer 6-1?.

Last edited:
We have to find a minimum of 6 extra wins to guarantee finals.

Bulldogs will be better than 7th, Hawthorn will be better than 9th, Essendon could slide but Hawthorn are right there to take their spot.

Dont really see an open spot unless someone like Brisbane or GWS just capitulate and then we still have make up those 5-6 games on top of that.

Tough order.

Bulldogs will be better than 7th, Hawthorn will be better than 9th, Essendon could slide but Hawthorn are right there to take their spot.

Dont really see an open spot unless someone like Brisbane or GWS just capitulate and then we still have make up those 5-6 games on top of that.

Tough order.
As per Kings previous comment, pick 10 teams who we're better than. And I couldn't do it.

Tough order.

Was our finishing position an acccurate refelection of our ability?......given Rick issues and buddy troubles. I don’t think it was and another year down the track with extra development. Nothing ever stays the same - too many variables. every year there is a team that falls off a cliff compared to previous. Every year there is a team that absolutely surprises. Every year one or more teams are decimated with injury and some get a dream run on that front. Some for no reason just fail to capture form for no apparent reason. That level of volatility is part of the process. You can go from a flag to oblivion or vice versa eg Bulldogs. If you try and find slots for each team you will never get it right. I think we are a reasonable chance at finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back