Pickett's autobiography is apparently a ripper

Remove this Banner Ad

Read papillon recently and blew my socks off.

Idk what this means

Papillon is a great read, though the bit where his mate gets sucked into the mud and drowns seems hard to believe. More likely he murdered him I reckon. Amazing how casually they talk about sticking their "chargers" up their ass to hide their cash.

There's another good one called Shantaram, but it's a mighty thick tome and takes ages to read. The entire second half is fiction though.

Papillon is a great read, though the bit where his mate gets sucked into the mud and drowns seems hard to believe. More likely he murdered him I reckon. There's another good one called Shantaram, but it's a mighty tome and takes ages to read. The entire second half is fiction though.
Shantaram is a fantastic read...👍😘👍

Papillon is a great read, though the bit where his mate gets sucked into the mud and drowns seems hard to believe. More likely he murdered him I reckon. Amazing how casually they talk about sticking their "chargers" up their ass to hide their cash.

There's another good one called Shantaram, but it's a mighty thick tome and takes ages to read. The entire second half is fiction though.

When he married / hooked up the kid (younger sister of his girlfriend) was a bit awkward too.

He probably killed him, but quicksand can be nasty apparently.

I hope Marlion never needed to carry a charger

Ill buy the Bachar book but not Marlions. Marlion needs to play another 4 or 5 years before being involved in books. Just my opinion but 20 games not enough but each to his own.
?

Weird attitude. His next 4-5 years of footy, we won’t need the book. We’re (hopefully) going to get to watch it in real time.

Presumably most people will be interested to read the book to find out more about the man and the backstory. There have been a few blokes who have been top level footy players who’ve ended up in jail afterwards. Don’t know that many others that have gone the other way. Amazing story of redemption.

Troubled background, jail, through to wife and a bunch of smiling kids, a career and a couple of premiership medals. If that isn’t enough of a plot for a decent book, then don’t tell pretty much every other sportsman ever with a book (or two) to their name.

Already about halfway through the book. Not much about football so far. Definitely not your typical sportsperson biography. Some of it is really disturbing, like what he went through in prison. Makes me want to re-read Wayne Carey's book - still the best book about a footy player I've read. If you haven't read it, check it out. Some of the stories from his childhood are unbelievable.

Good read, but could have been shorter. I got sick of reading about him going out fighting after a while. I thought the real hero of the book was his partner, Jess. I would have liked to learn more about her.

I hope they have a plan for life after footy. He'll be 29 in January, so it probably won't be for too much longer. Does anyone know if the club is encouraging him to do a trade or study?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill buy the Bachar book but not Marlions. Marlion needs to play another 4 or 5 years before being involved in books. Just my opinion but 20 games not enough but each to his own.
More than enough when you've had a life like he has. He didn't roll thru Scotch College or Assumption College as some pampered prodigy.

The story isn't about the 20 games, it's about what happened in the 26 years before he came to the club.

Shantaram is a fantastic read...👍😘👍
The first half of Shantaram was one of the greatest things I've ever read. The second half was stupid and irritating and absurd.

View attachment 999645
From Big W ... all personally signed. Get around him

I went to my local Big W today and they were all out of the signed ones. Went to Dymocks and they had them. $30 there, so worth a few extra bucks.

Have only made it about 30 pages in, but I'm so grateful it's not written from a first person perspective, as if Pickett himself wrote it. We all know with these sports biographies that the athlete hasn't written it, and I can't stand the ones that pretend they have.

Has 4 kids mouths to feed.

Pretty sure the whole thing is fiction, maybe a few influences throughout from life experiences but nothing more than that

On the back cover in tiny writing it actually does say Fiction, however what is true is that he really did escape from Pentridge, get hidden from the law by the BLF and then make it to India and hide out in one of the slums. The rest is pretty much bullshit though. Great story, but pretty much unbelievable once he gets involved with organised crime in Mumbai and Afghanistan and all that stuff. My bullshit detector was pinging almost non stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back