Other Picking a Nfl team

Remove this Banner Ad

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)
Without going through every single team, I'd probably narrow it down to the Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers based on your criteria. I'd have also suggested the Kansas City Chiefs, but there's probably too many people dressing up in Native American headdresses as to not meet the "fans don't dress up" requirement

(Also I didn't check whether these teams play on turf or real grass, but assumed that cold weather/indoor teams wouldn't fit that criteria)

You might have more big cities you want to rule out of this, but ruling out NY/LA:

Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams

New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
New York Giants
New York Jets

Oakland Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

Arizona Cardinals
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints

Oakland Raiders
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

Arizona Cardinals
Carolina Panthers
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns, not technically, they were out of the league for a few years, and technically changed to the Baltimore Ravens, but I'll keep them here
Denver Broncos
Green Bay Packers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
Oakland Raiders (Moving to Las Vegas soon)
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos
Green Bay Packers

Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
(This is the 10 year anniversary of their last win)
San Francisco 49ers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins

Look to be honest most of these teams will frustrate more than delight, but they will delight every now and then. 49ers will bring the most delight.

Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns (always down)
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
San Francisco 49ers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (always down
Washington Redskins (always down)

Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Dolphins
San Francisco 49ers

Arizona Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Miami Dolphins
San Francisco 49ers

If you wanted to rule out other big cities (Chicago, Miami, San Fran), they would leave you with Arizona, who are set in Phoenix. Not as big as the other remaining teams cities I guess

---------

There's no real way to answer this. All teams are active on the trade market. The only team who is really different here are the Green Bay Packers, who are not that active on the free agent market.

Pros (for you):
- Not a big city
- real grass playing field
- been in their city + name for 30+ years
- not active in free agent market

Cons (for you):
- have a rich history of success, not really any down time last 20 years
- won the Super Bowl in 2010/11

- every team's fans dress up

Pittsburgh is another team you might be interested in.

Pros:
- not huge relative to NY/LA
- real grass playing field
- city + name for 30+ years

Cons:
- Won the most Super Bowl's out of everyone. BUT they do have that temperamental nature in their current form - maybe more than any team.
- won the Super Bowl 10 years ago

Without going through every single team, I'd probably narrow it down to the Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers based on your criteria. I'd have also suggested the Kansas City Chiefs, but there's probably too many people dressing up in Native American headdresses as to not meet the "fans don't dress up" requirement

(Also I didn't check whether these teams play on turf or real grass, but assumed that cold weather/indoor teams wouldn't fit that criteria)
Thank you both for these

Arizona Cardinals popped up quite a bit in your summations. Being from the City of Churches there's a symmetry of sorts there. Not that I'm religious but anyway

Plus South Australia is the driest state on the driest continent so a parallel there

Haven't flown out of the blocks but that's not really a consideration. Am here for the long haul!

Thank you both for these

Arizona Cardinals popped up quite a bit in your summations. Being from the City of Churches there's a symmetry of sorts there. Not that I'm religious but anyway

Plus South Australia is the driest state on the driest continent so a parallel there

Haven't flown out of the blocks but that's not really a consideration. Am here for the long haul!
I just did process of elimination

Thank you both for these

You would have been a great Eagles fan.

The same sense of endless promise but nil accomplishment. The same anger that if the group running the franchise just cared as much as you. The same close but no cigar feeling of losing endlessly at the second to last hurdle, and then blowing it in the big game when you made it.

And then we had to go and ruin it all by winning the superbowl by throwing the ball to our quarterback.

Do you still provide this service?!
Yes

I'm in the same boat. Have started watching this season, really enjoying it and looking for a team.
A team is looking for you ;)

Will start with...

2. Real grass playing field
Chiefs, Panthers, Redskins, Browns, Dolphins, Steelers, 49ers, Eagles, Ravens, Titans, Buccaneers, Broncos, Bears

So of those who play on grass, which aren't big cities...
1. Not one of the big cities (NY, LA)
Green Bay, Carolina (Charlotte), Kansas City, Baltimore, Cleveland, Miami, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Tampa, Denver.

This one isn't really important...
3. Fans least likely to dress up - make up, costumes, wigs etc
They all do now really. The ones who dress up most are still the Raiders. But from that opening list above....Packers, Browns.

4. Been in their current city with current name for 30+ years
All the teams in the opening list meet this requirement (if you include the 49ers changing stadium to Santa Clara).

5. Haven't won a Super Bowl in last decade
Of the list...Chiefs, Panthers, Redskins, Browns, Dolphins, 49ers, Titans, Buccaneers, Bears.

This is very unimportant...
6. One of the least active teams on the trade market
All teams are equally active on the trade market, for whatever reasons...injuries, salary cap, etc.

7. I'm kind of drawn to the temperamental teams/sportspeople. Eg Pakistan cricket team - can beat anyone on their day but lose to a minnow tomorrow. Liked Marat Safin, Goran Ivanisevic. Teams/players who frustrate and delight in equal measure.
Of the list.... Chiefs, Panthers, Browns, Dolphins, Titans, Buccaneers

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)
Also notice you're a Liverpool fan, and a Redbacks fan, and a Crows fan....all teams feature the color red. Like the Kansas City Chiefs.

I would recommend....

ehn8wiozjgd2eiphfp4w

It hasn't been 30+ years since the Titans moved to Tennessee or the Panthers have existed GG.exe ;)

Your list is basically the same as mine except for the Cards
That's good. I didnt read what anyone else suggested prior to making my list/recommendation. Better that way to have everyone post theirs without knowing, and then see how we all compare.

Hey all, haven't really ventured into this sub-board before. A mate and I have decided we need a sport to follow in the AFL off season and stumbled across NFL, so a few questions.. are there any clubs that could do with a few extra supporters/who should we support? :p. Also where can we stream/watch this?

Ask us some criteria or things you're looking for in a team to follow, as others recently have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Niners historically great, but has been rebuilding last couple of years. Rams dominating that division these days. Seahawks before then.

Bears have an all-world defense, but a young QB who is no certainty to become good. Packers usually dominate this division, years after years.

I wouldn't trust those quiz sites. Ask us here things you're looking for, we're much better at it.

Niners historically great, but has been rebuilding last couple of years. Rams dominating that division these days. Seahawks before then.

Bears have an all-world defense, but a young QB who is no certainty to become good. Packers usually dominate this division, years after years.

I wouldn't trust those quiz sites. Ask us here things you're looking for, we're much better at it.
1. Does a successful history matter? Not particularly, would like a mid-range club so that we can enjoy the rise sort of thing.
2. Indoor or outdoor stadium? Either, or.
3. Do you want to watch them play live? (does 3am matter? most east coast teams play 3 or 4 am majority of the season) Yeah, would be handy. Both live in Queensland.
4. What colours do you like in a uniform? Something that isn't over the top like a rainbow but a nicely presented kit that's probably a bit darker?
5. Is there any teams you already like? Lions for the obvious reasons. He's a Collingwood supporter though, so his thoughts mean nothing here. :p

I don't know any other questions, just stole these off the first page. :p

1. Does a successful history matter? Not particularly, would like a mid-range club so that we can enjoy the rise sort of thing.
2. Indoor or outdoor stadium? Either, or.
3. Do you want to watch them play live? (does 3am matter? most east coast teams play 3 or 4 am majority of the season) Yeah, would be handy. Both live in Queensland.
4. What colours do you like in a uniform? Something that isn't over the top like a rainbow but a nicely presented kit that's probably a bit darker?
5. Is there any teams you already like? Lions for the obvious reasons. He's a Collingwood supporter though, so his thoughts mean nothing here. :p

I don't know any other questions, just stole these off the first page. :p
1. Rules out....Steelers, Niners, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, Raiders, Redskins, Packers.....mainly. With some other teams who have recently won and/or had their rise and are now falling....Seahawks, Ravens, Eagles, Colts, Broncos, etc.

2. Not important for you, ok.

3. 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am most Sundays, all 32 teams feature around this time of day.

4. Darker .... excluding those teams from #1..... Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Bears, Panthers, Falcons, Vikings, Rams.
4b. Other teams worth considering (on the rise) that aren't "darker" .... Cardinals, Jets, Bills, Browns, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Lions, Buccaneers.

5. Will take that into consideration, but it's not important.

Of what you've given me, I recommend one of....Texans, Titans, Jaguars, Bears, Panthers, Falcons, Vikings, Rams.

But putting them in order for you.....

Rams or Jaguars are right at the point now of being genuine contenders for champions, both have been "on the rise" for about 2-3 years now, after spending about 10 years rebuilding after failed rebuild. Bears are a good team to choose....have the defense to win, just need their young QB to develop, he's still struggling at the moment.

After that, I would then consider in order....Texans, Titans.

Teams like Panthers are always there abouts, Falcons are a team probably on the slide back down after being a contender for about 5 years. Vikings will just break your heart. Maybe your Collingwood friend would like the Vikings then.

it's official
I'm replacing silver and black with purple and black.
not like i suddenly hate, or disown, just not investing into.
no one can take away the memories and experiences....i go way back to the early 70s being a fan....all those memories, heartaches and celebrations still there.

but the reasons for it ...
it's not due to the lack of success at all, happily there thruout the lean decades.

it's due more to there being too much bullshit surrounding the franchise and fans, all that rrrrrraiders crap, us against the world, too proud, fans positioning thenselves as "real fans" and youre not if you criticize the team, that mystique and more hollywood than substance aspect to it. how ita a fashion brand now, girls and boys (who have no idea) wearing the gear purely as a brand, like calvin klein.

theres just too much of that surrounding the franchise and the fans.

instead, im adopting a franchise abd fans that are more real, they just knuckle down and do their jobs, theres no fakeness or brand, blue collar and no nonsense, like me. also a franchise that historically and currently play like that on the field, play solid D. thats my kind of football.

a person like me anyway, i can change like this without a problem, i always redefine myself, my allegiances, so football is no different. even while a raider fan i was still a huge marino/dolphins fan, for instance. still loved the different aspects of all the teans in the league. not one who bullshits himself acting like a team is a religion.

so, its still the same with raiders and dolphins, just adding ravens and movibg them to the fore, to #1 care factor.

cone at me, i dont care, but youre welcome to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back