Traded Picks 14 + 35 (Geelong) for Picks 10 + 47 (Adelaide)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheney is a role player who will help us down back, could go worse.....Luke Thompson.
Luke Lowden has got the potential to be good but I guess it would be a bit hard getting a game in front of Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar that happens to be a premiership side.
And our recruiter is pretty confident that the player we want at 10 would be available at 14. We also have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds which will help our depth. We certainly need depth.
Btw Higgins and Waite aren't exactly prized recruits. They're cooked.

I'm sorry, when did this become a thread about Waite and Higgins?

If you want to get into a club v club whinefest I recommend Bay 13.

I'm just giving my view here. I think the Crows will regret trading their way out of the top 10, and they should've bargained better for a pair of role-player/depth options like Cheney and Lowden.

Cheney is a role player who will help us down back, could go worse.....Luke Thompson.
Luke Lowden has got the potential to be good but I guess it would be a bit hard getting a game in front of Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar that happens to be a premiership side.
And our recruiter is pretty confident that the player we want at 10 would be available at 14. We also have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds which will help our depth. We certainly need depth.
Btw Higgins and Waite aren't exactly prized recruits. They're cooked.

Firstly, what is the relation between Higgins and Waite and Geelong and Adelaide?

Don't attack a poster's team, it's childish.

Cheney and Lowden are handy depth, no more and no less.

The trade itself is similar to the WCE- Collingwood trade which I believe cost WCE a better player than Sheed in the end.

I'm sorry, when did this become a thread about Waite and Higgins?

If you want to get into a club v club whinefest I recommend Bay 13.

I'm just giving my view here. I think the Crows will regret trading their way out of the top 10, and they should've bargained better for a pair of role-player/depth options like Cheney and Lowden.
What don't you understand? If the player they wanted at 10 they think will be available at 14 then why not?

Firstly, what is the relation between Higgins and Waite and Geelong and Adelaide?

Don't attack a poster's team, it's childish.

Cheney and Lowden are handy depth, no more and no less.

The trade itself is similar to the WCE- Collingwood trade which I believe cost WCE a better player than Sheed in the end.
It's 4 picks in an even draft. What's the problem?

What don't you understand? If the player they wanted at 10 they think will be available at 14 then why not?

Then they should seriously re-consider how they're rating the players. West Coast did the same thing last year and missed out on a Scharenberg or an Aish because of it, and will spend a looong time regretting that.

Then they should seriously re-consider how they're rating the players. West Coast did the same thing last year and missed out on a Scharenberg or an Aish because of it, and will spend a looong time regretting that.
Maybe they are after a KPD like Marchbank or Goddard which should be available at pick 14. We desperately need defenders.

Lever (14) and Wigg (35) for Cockatoo (10) and Gregson (47)

What they missed out on:
11, 12, 13: Duggan, Ellis, Weller - Not sure any of them would've rated above Lever for the Crows.
36-46 (minus F/S or academy): Vickers-Willis, Rose, Hamilton, Neal-Bullen, Lonie, McGovern, Dale, Daniel - Hard to say if Geelong would've been keen on any of that late more than Gregson

What they got:
Adelaide - Wigg. Like him a lot. Certainly not another back flank ball user like him even if he's small. But would he have been there at 47? Hard to say
Geelong - Cockatoo. I feel like Adel, Richmond and Freo would've passed him to 14, but West Coast were apparently very keen. Had they kept 14 I feel the cats would've drafted Lever as well if Cockatoo was gone.

Geel probably ended up very happy getting their man they might not have otherwise, even if Cockatoo might not have been the original reason to make the deal. Adelaide probably lost nothing from the first round and got an upgrade in the second round but I'm not sure it's highly significant.

Overall I'd say either a bit of a win-win or really a bit of a nothing deal.

My gut feel is that, knowing GC would take a tall and Collingwood were locked into Moore, Geelong wanted to nudge ahead of WCE (who they knew would 100% take a mid) to get first dibs on the next available mid talent. At the outset it was Pickett, but that morphed into Cockatoo as Pickett rocketed up the charts,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that Adelaide would be delighted with the trade as they probably would have taken Lever at 10 and thus the trade made them able to get Wigg.

Cats probably know if Cockatoo would have made it to 14, so they know if they made the right call with the trade. i suspect that he would have been still on the table and thus the trade was probably the wrong call, unless it didn't affect their next pick.

I dare say Cockatoo would have been available at 14, which makes the deal look a little silly now, but it's not a huge loss for Geelong. Agree with the logic they wanted the 'sliding' mid before WCE which they reasoned might have been Pickett before his stocks rose. No idea how Geelong would have rated the picks between their original and the downground, maybe only Neal-Bullen looks better for them than Gregson, but i'm no recruiter. See how we go.

Don't think they would do the trade again but it is always risky with the draft and how teams rate certain players.

I dare say Cockatoo would have been available at 14, which makes the deal look a little silly now, but it's not a huge loss for Geelong. Agree with the logic they wanted the 'sliding' mid before WCE which they reasoned might have been Pickett before his stocks rose. No idea how Geelong would have rated the picks between their original and the downground, maybe only Neal-Bullen looks better for them than Gregson, but i'm no recruiter. See how we go.

Don't think they would do the trade again but it is always risky with the draft and how teams rate certain players.

Geelong must of been worried one of Richmond or West Coast would of taken Cockatoo... i also think we knew Lever was sliding so.

One of those deals that honestly is a win for all parties.

Geelong must of been worried one of Richmond or West Coast would of taken Cockatoo... i also think we knew Lever was sliding so.

One of those deals that honestly is a win for all parties.

To be honest I don't think the deal would have been done with Cockatoo in mind as I said in my post. Again, i think Nakia would have been there at 14 anyway. Was also a very late call up to be at the draft.

What's done is done and I'm sure both clubs are rapt with their selections.

To be honest I don't think the deal would have been done with Cockatoo in mind as I said in my post. Again, i think Nakia would have been there at 14 anyway. Was also a very late call up to be at the draft.

What's done is done and I'm sure both clubs are rapt with their selections.
Late call up to be at the draft because they only need the top 10 there and they had 1-9 sorted whilst Geelong kept Cockatoo under wraps, maybe because had Gold Coast gone a different way the cats might have taken Wright, we will never know. Anyway, my point being Cockatoo as a late call up for pick 10 doesn't mean he wasn't always in line at 11-13. West Coast were the big tip, he's dynamic, skillful, solid body and no real go home factor so there's a lot of reasons why they would've been keen.

You can just about guarantee that this will result in one team getting a 200+ gamer and the other a dud. 5 years time and one set of supporters will be lamenting it.

Well then... You're more or less correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back