Traded Picks 2, 20, 72 for Dom Tyson, Picks 9 and 53

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see us taking someone like Hugh Goddard at 4 or 5 who can play both KPF and KPD. From the limited amount I've seen and from what I've heard there's not much talent separating those talls at the pointy end, so like you've said there's not a huge drop off in value between 1 and 5.

I'd be vary wary of taking Goddard or Wright with a top 5 pick at this stage, we'll see how they go in the champs though.

GWS big winners

Dom Tyson when they were asking for Luke Shuey + Rory Sloane is a huge drop.

The difference between pick 2 and 9 is enormous this draft. Biggest gulf in recent times

You've demonstrated your total knowledge of the game with this post

Paul Roos is just being gracious when he calls this a win win trade

the Demons absolutely robbed GWS blind, lets not beat around the bush

I wouldnt trade Salem for Kelly, so we basically got Dom Tyson for free and hes looking like a smokey for the Brownlow at aged 20

Amazing work by Roos and the MFC

I wouldnt trade Salem for Kelly, so we basically got Dom Tyson for free and hes looking like a smokey for the Brownlow at aged 20

problem is, they haven't robbed them blind, it's as genuine a win win as there has been in recent memory.

GWS's list size and existing crop of talent (and shrinking list size) basically mean that these kind of 2 for one deals where they clear list slots, and trade up in the draft to increase quality are right up their alley, and Melbourne played it perfectly.

The fact that they essentially gave us two pretty talented kids for nothing last year should make their aims pretty obvious

IMO Roos wanted Salem at 2 - but knew he'd fall to 9.
Tyson was the steak knives of the deal.

Don't know if he'll win the brownlow, but he'll go close to topping the Demons votes.
Be a good chance for their B&F.

Actually, from memory, I think Damien Barrett criticized this trade. On ya Damo.

problem is, they haven't robbed them blind, it's as genuine a win win as there has been in recent memory.

GWS's list size and existing crop of talent (and shrinking list size) basically mean that these kind of 2 for one deals where they clear list slots, and trade up in the draft to increase quality are right up their alley, and Melbourne played it perfectly.

The fact that they essentially gave us two pretty talented kids for nothing last year should make their aims pretty obvious
Whether or not they've increased quality remains to be soon though. Call me biased but I'd take one Tyson or one Salem over one Kelly at this stage (obviously it's much too early to make this call but both look great). GWS didn't trade two players for one though - they picked up pick #20 in the deal with us too (as well as an exchange of third rounders).

Haha to think it was only a month or so ago that Melbourne supporters were pleading with people not to judge the trade too early. Good times, good times - you're a funny one.

Haha to think it was only a month or so ago that Melbourne supporters were pleading with people not to judge the trade too early. Good times, good times - you're a funny one.

Pleading is a strong word, Kelly had played one game and Tyson had already racked up 30 touches two or three times ...

Source? I'm pretty sure we've been stoked with the trade since Tyson was pretty much our BOG for the first three games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give you 5000/1

What exactly was wrong with Melbourne supporters making that comment? Not sure why you're having a laugh over that.

What exactly was wrong with Melbourne supporters making that comment? Not sure why you're having a laugh over that.
Quite obviously because Melbourne supporters are now calling the trade a massive win to them.... Pretty straight forward really

Quite obviously because Melbourne supporters are now calling the trade a massive win to them.... Pretty straight forward really

So it was ok for people to call it a massive loss to Melbourne when it first occurred but Melbourne fans weren't allowed to make a comment on it.

Right, is this Bay 13? Did I get lost somewhere and click on the wrong link?

So it was ok for people to call it a massive loss to Melbourne when it first occurred but Melbourne fans weren't allowed to make a comment on it.

Right, is this Bay 13? Did I get lost somewhere and click on the wrong link?
I didn't say anything about it, just telling you what dlanod meant was funny.. don't get too upset

Considering all the players involved are around the same age And both teams are around the same stage in development I don't see how this can be a win/win trade.

It can be an even trade but not really a win/win.

Nope - I pointed out it was way too early to consider it a massive loss to Melbourne back when opposition supporters were claiming so. And now I'm also pointing out the hilarity in Melbourne supporters so keen to jump on board in the opposite direction after only another month or two. :D No double standards on my behalf, just by some Melbourne supporters.

Edit: In other words - still too early, regardless of which "side" is declaring victory, and probably still win-win.

Nope - I pointed out it was way too early to consider it a massive loss to Melbourne back when opposition supporters were claiming so. And now I'm also pointing out the hilarity in Melbourne supporters so keen to jump on board in the opposite direction after only another month or two. :D No double standards on my behalf, just by some Melbourne supporters.

Edit: In other words - still too early, regardless of which "side" is declaring victory, and probably still win-win.
No one with half a brain would ever have said this was a loss to Melbourne after round 1. Unless you think picking up 13 game midfielders who were in the top 10 disposal winners in the competition is a regular thing. Back when other people were saying it was a 'massive loss' we were just sitting back smiles on our faces knowing and waiting for this to inevitably happen. If we said anything it would only have been that people should actually watch both players rather than simply read an incredibly biased article before making judgments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back