Prediction Picks 64, 78 & 91 and 2 x rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer wasn't going to be given a go on an AFL list because of the excuse you used of being "too small". We took a risk on Boomer and got paid back 1,000,000,000 times. Why can't Daniels be a similar story? He is only 2cm shorter than Boomer. Caleb was in the Dog's best 22 (maybe even top 10-12 players) in 2016. Let's say Daniels is a bust, using pick 64 in a weak draft wouldn't make you lose any sleep at night would it? You never know as the draft is a lottery.
But why take a risk on someone who at best will be a limited small forward, instead of someone like Kane Farrell who might be a bust as well, but could develop into a midfielder with pace and skill?

But why take a risk on someone who at best will be a limited small forward, instead of someone like Kane Farrell who might be a bust as well, but could develop into a midfielder with pace and skill?
Little risk for high reward. How do you know he will be a limited small forward?

Boomer wasn't going to be given a go on an AFL list because of the excuse you used of being "too small". We took a risk on Boomer and got paid back 1,000,000,000 times. Why can't Daniels be a similar story? He is only 2cm shorter than Boomer. Caleb was in the Dog's best 22 (maybe even top 10-12 players) in 2016. Let's say Daniels is a bust, using pick 64 in a weak draft wouldn't make you lose any sleep at night would it? You never know as the draft is a lottery.

So many of those shorter type players have been busts over the last 10 years, more so than their taller counterparts. Too often (like Hrovat, Mitch Honeychurch and too a lesser extent Caleb Daniel) they can't physically compete in the midfield so are then pigeon holed across half forward.

I'm very coy on drafting shorter players now because they likelihood of them being successful is quite low. Unless they are in the elite bracket (top 15) of their draft class like Gresham a few years back or Higgins this year.

64- Matthew Day

Love the way he moves through congestion and combines this with excellent vision especially by hand. Missed a couple of years of footy to persue basketball thus huge upside potential.

78- Pass

Rookie upgrade- Zurhaar

R1-Ben Paton

One of leading interceptors at TAC Cup level this year and combines this with both run and good ball retention. Tested well for both speed and leap at Combine.

R2-Kane Farrell

Elite speed and agility combined with a monster kick. Needs to work on his tank and get a little more of the ball but upside is there.

R3-Jack Roughsedge

Has worked hard to overcome devastating leg injury but is a natural ball winner and leader.

R4-Hamish Brayshaw

Unlucky not to get picked up last year. Big time accumulator who is worth a shot.

Another kid whose dad I've been mates with since school. The old man was nicknamed Freddy Wooller, after his own old man, ex Geelong premiership player Fred. The pressure on my little bloke to also do something with his footy grows by the year at this rate.

TT Jr should go for his player agent accreditation.

If he signs up the rest of your Amway network of young footballers he'll be retired by 30.

So many of those shorter type players have been busts over the last 10 years, more so than their taller counterparts. Too often (like Hrovat, Mitch Honeychurch and too a lesser extent Caleb Daniel) they can't physically compete in the midfield so are then pigeon holed across half forward.

I'm very coy on drafting shorter players now because they likelihood of them being successful is quite low. Unless they are in the elite bracket (top 15) of their draft class like Gresham a few years back or Higgins this year.
I'm not saying get him to do a Cunnington, Dumont or Ziebell inside, meat grinder role am I? In the future he might be able to play as a high half forward/wingman delivering the ball to our forwards as his skills a good. Do you want more shorter type successes? How about T.Libaratore, Shaun Hart, Phillip Matera, McDonald-Tipingwuti, Dayne Zorko or Paul Puopolo? bit of past and present (I can find more if you want). How are you making a quality call on an undrafted Jack Higgins? Who is to say he won't be a bust?

I am allowed to take a guess on what our later picks are going to be, why are you and remfan having a crack when it is just pure speculation/a bit of fun?

I'm not saying get him to do a Cunnington, Dumont or Ziebell inside, meat grinder role am I? In the future he might be able to play as a high half forward/wingman delivering the ball to our forwards as his skills a good. Do you want more shorter type successes? How about T.Libaratore, Shaun Hart, Phillip Matera, McDonald-Tipingwuti, Dayne Zorko or Paul Puopolo? bit of past and present (I can find more if you want). How are you making a quality call on an undrafted Jack Higgins? Who is to say he won't be a bust?

I am allowed to take a guess on what our later picks are going to be, why are you and remfan having a crack when it is just pure speculation/a bit of fun?

I wasn't really having a crack at all mate, just giving justification as to why I probably wouldn't pick Daniels.

I think it sucks that pure solid footballers who are restricted by height can't make it in the AFL.

I wasn't really having a crack at all mate, just giving justification as to why I probably wouldn't pick Daniels.

I think it sucks that pure solid footballers who are restricted by height can't make it in the AFL.
You need to have an elite attribute to make it a solid a small midfielder. Daniels doesn't. Given where we are as a club, I wouldn't pick him for that reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 4 - J. Stephenson
Pick 23 - L. O'Brien
Pick 64 - J. Worpel
Pick 78 - C. Parish

Rookie 1 - H. Brayshaw
Rookie 2 - M. Hanson
Rookie 3 - B. Lennon

6 midfielders - it's our priority and if half of these kids can come good we will be nicely stocked.

Doubt we'll bid on anyone this year. Our picks arent in the right spots plus no need to give any further ammunition with our own bid options coming next year.
They are late picks either way. If we want them, we will bid.

Then why bother replying? Keep it to yourself. This thread is all about personal choices and what I picked was exactly that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back