Picks 7 and 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't he have to be in the top 5% of income earners? So if there are 800 players he would need to be in the top 40 earners across the league. Considering he's the last big free agent left and there is a lot of cap room left for a lot of clubs it's not too far from the realms of reality. By you saying he would need to get 950k+ means you think the top 40 earners in the league on average earn about 1 million a year. I don't think so. In a few years yes but as of this year I don't think so. 850k would be more around the mark imo.
I don't think the 40th highest paid player in the league would be on $850k I think it would be around the $750k mark.

Really interesting position if the Saints take both to the draft, I think needing outside midfield class it could go either way for them.

If Freo and the Pies hold their first selection, then select Naughton and Brander as a few phantom have them, they could walk away with one of the big fancied mids in Rayner / Dow / Cerra / LDU / Stephenson with Coffield, could potentially make away with one of the best draft hauls with those two picks.

If Freo or Collingwood trade down or decide the midfield talent on offer is too hard to pass up, the next batch of players dont seem to suit them as much, a few inside mid (Constable / Clarke / Bradshaw) a couple of KP (Not sure how saints fan feel about their KP stocks), Fogarty / Higgins already have a few smaller and 3rd tall types. Would be interesting to see how it unfolds if that's the case.

Outside class, speed, skills.

Andrew Gaff could be gettable with one of those picks.

Replaces Montagna on the wing nicely and would instantly improve the Saints midfield depth.

Definately see the Saints trading at least one of those picks for the right player. They were close to making finals this year and bitterly disappointed. The pressure is building to make finals in 2018 and an 18 year old kid won't do that. Two first rounders helps in a big way, use one to trade and one in the draft.

Ideally we need a Gaff/Whitfield/Scully/I Smith/B Hill/ S Hill/Sidebottom/Lewis Jetta when he was good type, because in the first half of the year we were the no.1 ranked team at transitioning the ball from D50 to F50, but then we got worked out after our win against GWS and for the rest of the season after R9 (or until about R20 at the least) we were ranked 18th at it, so we need more help at transitioning the ball from end to end and another thing we're poor at is hitting targets inside 50, so those with good kicking skills would also be a very high priority.

On the inside we have Steven, Ross, Armitage, Stevens, Steele, Dunstan, etc, and from about R5 onwards we were one of the best clearance teams in the comp, so that's not an area of major need, but we're not so good on the spread and have a very one-paced midfield outside of Steven, so what we really need is those who can run and spread- ideally at speed, help with our transition from defence to forward and those who regularly hit targets by foot.

Someone who fits all those bills would be great of course, but obviously they don't grow on trees, so we'll take what we can get.

Pick 7 for Sidebottom?
This is a very interesting suggestion and one that has been raised on our board if we were to miss out on the likes of Kelly.

Ideally we'd like him to be a year or two younger, but I reckon we'd be a very good chance of pulling the trigger if he was offered. At least for pick 8, as he could have another good 6-7 years in him and he brings plenty of experience, including having played very well in a GF.

Getting him would allow us to move Newnes back to HB to take over the rebounding role Joey was playing there and overall I expect it would be an upgrade on what we were generally getting from Joey this year.

What if Freo or Collingwood chose Ballenden with picks 5 or 6?
Well doesn't matter because the trade would be done prior to the draft. Saints use pick 1 to get Rayner, at pick 7 and 8 there's still players Lions would be interested in like Darcy Fogarty, Adam Cerra, Garner, Higgins (at a push)

Well doesn't matter because the trade would be done prior to the draft. Saints use pick 1 to get Rayner, at pick 7 and 8 there's still players Lions would be interested in like Darcy Fogarty, Adam Cerra, Garner, Higgins (at a push)

Can you extrapolate?

If say Collingwood bid for Ballenden with pick 6, wouldn't Brisbane have to use pick 7 or 8 to override Collingwoods bid?

Can you extrapolate?

If say Collingwood bid for Ballenden with pick 6, wouldn't Brisbane have to use pick 7 or 8 to override Collingwoods bid?

Yes we would. Although highly unlikely it is possible as Collingwood do need KPP. But I think it's highly unlikely Bris would trade pick 1. Unless we get pick 2 or 3 back as part of the trade.

Yes we would. Although highly unlikely it is possible as Collingwood do need KPP. But I think it's highly unlikely Bris would trade pick 1. Unless we get pick 2 or 3 back as part of the trade.

Okay, thanks, I agree with you and this is my point.

What is the point in trading pick 1 for pick 7 and 8, if there is the real risk that one of those picks will get used for Ballenden, who under your current scenario, could be picked up with pick 12?

Brisbane are just better off keeping pick 1, taking the best player, and then snapping up Ballenden at 12 rather than coughing up pick 7 and trying to get a midfielder with pick 8.

Your mob is in the same category as us, you need to pick up a top shelf midfielder.

- I could see the Saints doing that trade with Gold Coast for 2 & 24.
- There's no point trading for Carlton's pick 3 as the complimentary pick would be 38, so that's a crap deal for the Saints.
- Norths 4 & 21 is the next best, but we also need one of the cream midfielders.

Beyond that there's no value for StKilda.

I think they can only upgrade with GC.

If Adelaide win the flag and trade their first (pick 17, with GWS not having a first) in a trade for Gibbs, then Carlton might be open to 3 and 17 for 7 and 8.

There's every chance that one of LDU or Cerra will be there at 7 and that suits Carlton's needs more than ours, so that could be a trade that works for both parties. Although Carlton might be a lot more keen on it, unless it's highly likely Rayner will make it to 3, which would get our attention I reckon.

The two I could see us most keen to trade up for are Rayner and Dow, then maybe Stephenson and then LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adelaide win the flag and trade their first (pick 17, with GWS not having a first) in a trade for Gibbs, then Carlton might be open to 3 and 17 for 7 and 8.

There's every chance that one of LDU or Cerra will be there at 7 and that suits Carlton's needs more than ours, so that could be a trade that works for both parties. Although Carlton might be a lot more keen on it, unless it's highly likely Rayner will make it to 3, which would get our attention I reckon.

The two I could see us most keen to trade up for are Rayner and Dow, then maybe Stephenson and then LDU.

Who knows what will happen, but the consensus I gather is that the elite tier (Rayner/LDU/Dow/Cerra/Stephenson) will drop away just before your two picks and this places you in a position of not getting the best value out of your picks this year.

Whether this turns out to be true is for people better informed than I to decide.

I get the feeling you think similarly, otherwise you wouldn't be tabling the suggestion.

Very good chance Rayner is there at 3 - unlikely Lions or GC will draft him. Dow will very likely be gone.

The Tigers could send 15 & 16 for one of StKildas 7/8 picks and bundle that up with a 2nd round pick from next season to get Schache to Punt Rd.

StKilda then have 7/15/16 to tempt a top 4 pick out of a club, plus a pick in the 20's..

This is a very interesting suggestion and one that has been raised on our board if we were to miss out on the likes of Kelly.

Ideally we'd like him to be a year or two younger, but I reckon we'd be a very good chance of pulling the trigger if he was offered. At least for pick 8, as he could have another good 6-7 years in him and he brings plenty of experience, including having played very well in a GF.

Getting him would allow us to move Newnes back to HB to take over the rebounding role Joey was playing there and overall I expect it would be an upgrade on what we were generally getting from Joey this year.
I think Sidebottom would be a very good pick up for the saints. Feel that he would compliment the midfield nicely. If the saints were able to pull off the trade suggested with Carlton for pick 3 & pick 15-17 (if they trade Gibbs), I would definitely be inclined to directly trade pick 15-17 for Sidebottom.

Saints pick up a top line midfielder from the draft (Dow/LDU/Rayner/Cerra) while being able to address an immediate need for a quality outside mid.

Who knows what will happen, but the consensus I gather is that the elite tier (Rayner/LDU/Dow/Cerra/Stephenson) will drop away just before your two picks and this places you in a position of not getting the best value out of your picks this year.

Whether this turns out to be true is for people better informed than I to decide.

I get the feeling you think similarly, otherwise you wouldn't be tabling the suggestion.
I disagree on two points.

I wouldn't necessarily call the top group "the elite tier". A common theme from the draft watchers who post in the phantom draft section is that even this years "elite tier" is not as elite as previous years draftees.

Secondly, I expect some kids who are currently spoken about as being outside the top 10 will climb up draft boards. We saw it last year with Tim Taranto climbing from outside the top 10, to being pick 2. Could easily see Hunter Clark and Andrew Brayshaw climb in to the top 10. Some watchers rate Coffield up there right behind the top four.

Of course team needs might not match the talent available. I'd say there is a pretty handy top 9 players. Followed by another 8 or more players who could be moved in to the top group, or make up a larger second tier group. The early part of the draft really hinges on what Freemantle and Collingwood do, and then who is still on board when it gets to Richmonds two picks and who they look at.

Rayner
Davies-Uniacke
Dow
Cerra
Stephenson
Brayshaw
Coffield
Clark
Higgins
--
Constable
Darcy Fogarty
Hayes
Brander
Naughton
Ballenden
Lachlan Fogarty
Zac Bailey

Howso? This year's top 10 pick and 2nd in next year's superdraft is plenty for an uncontracted player that nominates one club, if anything it's overs.
Can't see a future because the Dees will only climb the ladder next year making it a higher first round

The Tigers could send 15 & 16 for one of StKildas 7/8 picks and bundle that up with a 2nd round pick from next season to get Schache to Punt Rd.

StKilda then have 7/15/16 to tempt a top 4 pick out of a club, plus a pick in the 20's..
Unless Schache demands a trade to the Tigers, pick 7 and a future second rounder won't get it done

What you're not taking into account though is that the two teams with picks 5 and 6 at the moment have relatively good midfields and are much more in need of adding to their key position stocks (Freo up forward and Collingwood at both ends) and as such, there's a very good chance that if they don't trade out of those spots, two of Brander, Fogarty or Naughton will be taken at those picks, in which case one of those 5 you mentioned will be available at 7.

Which is why it could be extremely well worthwhile Carlton trading back to 7 to upgrade 17 to 8, depending on who they're most keen on.

It may also be why we wouldn't actually do that trade, but it would also depend on which of those 5 was the one most likely to slide. If it was the slower Cerra, he would suit Carlton's needs more than ours, as they need to add to their inside more than we do.

If the one they want the most is Rayner though and they're happy to not get much midfield input from him for the next year or two then they probably wouldn't do such a trade.

No way you would get pick 1 and 18 off Brisbane. Pick 1 is worth 3000 points, and picks 7 + 8 are worth 3195.

Brisbane's Pick 1 and a 2018 4th rounder for St kilda's 7+8 would be more around the mark
Yeah not its own. We'd have to add something of value.

Unless Schache demands a trade to the Tigers, pick 7 and a future second rounder won't get it done
If Brisbane were offered 7 and a 2018 second for Schache (assuming he's requested a trade) they'd take it and run. As it stands that's an incredibly good deal for them.

I wonder weather Gold Coast would be interested in trading pick 2 and player for 7 & 8?

Adam Saad would be nice but that might be asking a bit too much. Possibly someone like Aaron Hall. Values him at about a mid second round pick.

I wonder weather Gold Coast would be interested in trading pick 2 and player for 7 & 8?

Adam Saad would be nice but that might be asking a bit too much. Possibly someone like Aaron Hall. Values him at about a mid second round pick.
I think Hall and Pick 2 for 7 & 8 is fair
Rayner or LDU would add star quality and Hall has outside sizzle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back