Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
Wunghnu's set to fold.

Picola District Football League club, Wunghnu looks like they're in real danger of folding with a 302 point flogging at the hands of Blighty on the weekend.

The maggies haven't won a game in 43 attempts, (but they drew a game last year against Yarroweah) and with similar depressing results in all four grades of football and thier two netball sides, I think the end is imminent for this club, I hope they finish of the season, but if results like this continue, I don't see any point in continuing.

for more about the PDFL, look at www.pdfl.com.au

It's really bad for Wunghnu

Well Wunghnu played Waaia at home today and did they improve on thier dismal effort from last week, not entirely.
SENIORS
WAAIA 49.32.326 d. WUNGHNU 0.0.0
RESERVES
WAAIA 24.23.167 d. WUNGHNU 0.1.1
UNDER 17'S
WAAIA 16.8.104 d. WUNGHNU 0.2.2
UNDER 14'S
WAAIA 6.8.44 d. WUNGHNU 1.4.10

Overall Wunghnu's sides on average, were beaten by 159 points, and scored 3 points on average.

Waaia's combined score in all 4 grades was 95.80.650 to Wunghnu's 1.7.13, being on top by 637 points.

I think they (Wunghnu) should fold, because its better to go into recess than to be comprehensively beaten by ridiculas results like this, because it's no good for all concerned.

Perhaps they should just flood. They might only concede 24 goals then.

Seriously, it's a shame for the country football when a team underperforms like this. Financially are they stuggling? and what about crowds?

That's what Panton Hill used to do to save face (My father was chairman of selectors there in 1988-1991 when the Redbacks only tasted victory 4 times during that period, and defeats came in huge margins, but they've improved out of sight over the last few years, to be a reasonable side).

Thier finances (from what i've heard) are sound, it's just that they're in a tiny area where they can't get any decent players, and where few people have the time to put into football, and they players they do try to recruit are drawn away because of the spectre of death that hangs around this team.

It's more of an socio-economic reason why teams like this struggle because the towns can't sustain them through the lack of men and women (for the netball) who are of suitable age, and where the oppotunities for them to be sucessful lie elsewhere, so results like these are a small part of a bigger problem that's putting the stake through the heart of small town Australia.

You have to admire him in some respects. But, results like these will wear a club down to the point where people question the reasons for continuing.

Wunghnu score some goals!!!

I'm sure a freshly painted 'G' will appear on the top line of the scoreboard at Wunghnu's footy oval next week, as they posted a few majors in their efforts against Mathoura of recent.

Despite the term 'goal' probably having suffered a bit of a Mad Max 3 'does-the-tell' bastardisation up there at the Magpie nest, Wunghnu gave it their all and ended up going down 5.6.36 to Mathoura's 37.18.240.

No, not an impressive scoreline, but you should have seen their scores from previous weeks!

Over to Wayde for a more detailed analysis ... :D

Yeah. It seems like they need a helping hand.

Even someone who could go up and coach their players in a game or at training as a one off.

Wunghnu brought over 15 members of their 1973 Picola DFL (thier last premiership) premiership team to training last week, as well as having a re-union, last saturday, to hand out tips to thier players, and a few Numurkah players have been brought out of retirement through Lee Nolen, thier coach (and Numurkah premiership backman), and a few of the old Wunghnu players as well, so the numbers are good, it's just that the talent isn't there, and that can only last so long.

P.S
Wunghnu's thirds and fourths recorded wins against the Timbercutters, and I might head down therem on Saturday against Katandra, since that i'll be in the area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, according to the league's website, and McPherson Media (the owners of all local newspapers from Seymour to Deniliquin, from Rochester to Benalla), Mathoura's always been called "the Timbercutters".

Wunghnu breaks 65 game losing streak

Yes my freinds, what seemed to be impossible has finally happened, and many football people up here are delighted that the Mighty Wunghnu Magpies, the most lovable team in football have beaten Mathoura (the Timbercutters) in a senior Picola & District game, breaking a three and a half year losing streak, and I bet that the boys will be raging on til the wee hours at the Mechanic's Institute Hotel, Wunghnu tonight.

WUNGHNU 3.3.21, 3.4.22, 11.8.74, 14.10.94
defeated
MATHOURA 2.1.13, 6.5.41, 8.8.56, 10.13.73

Goals WUNGHNU
Mark Dunstan 2, Tim McKellar 2, Robert Rodda 2, Kim McElhinney, Lee Chapman, Jade O'Dwyer, Jason McConkey Terry Tyack

Goals MATHOURA
Alexander Fisher 4, Benjamin Vesty 2, Tony Sumner 2, Nathan O'Callaghan, David Eddy

Best WUNGHNU
Paul Ebborn, Mark Dunstan, Jason Saunders, Chris Quafe, Nick Tyack, Steve Cassimaty

Best MATHOURA
Shane Van Zutphen, David Eddy, Justin Hartshorn, Tim Spaney, Alex Fisher, Tom Sumner

RESERVES
MATHOURA 10.7 d. WUNGHNU 6.6
UNDER 17'S
WUNGHNU 9.18 d. MATHOURA 2.1
UNDER 14'S
WUNGHNU 7.7 d. MATHOURA 7.2

Congratulations Wunghnu, and I hope that the worst times are behind you.

Mathoura were also winless coming into this game, so either way somebody was going to break the drought so to speak, but the Timbercutters have been struggling for numbers this year due to the axing of many jobs in the sawmills due to the drought and tougher regulations, so i'm delighted that Wunghnu have finally won a game, but I hope that Mathoura can also keep afloat.

As far as Blighty goes, well they've done the usual trick in buying a heap of players to buy a flag, failed and now they've been left with a lot of former reserves players, also Blighty is a tiny place (blink and you'll miss it), and because they get most of thier money from donated rice and cattle from local farmers, so they can sell on the market, and since there's precious little of that around, they club suffers as well.

Phil, Tarpeena lost 120+ matches in a row didn't they, and if you could you please tell us the longest losing streak for teams in every state/territory, if you can.

And, BTW. Kinglake didn't draw with Diamond Creek, a huge fog rolled in cutting visability to 20 metres, at the start of the second quarter, and the umpires decided to call it a draw according to the DVFL's "Kingalke Rule", that states that any game that can't continue to to weather before half time, should be demmed a draw, and if that happnes in the 3rd or 4th quarter, the team that is ahead at the time of the cancellation, is demmed to be the winner, and in both cases, the umpires make the final decision, luckily for the Lakers, Diamo were up by 4 points when they called it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back