Picola DFL expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't think we need to swap clubs over if goorambat do join so be it. I would think you will find toc are pushing hard to get into nw with another meeting scheduled

Could we see the old tungamah league reformed with the five benalla clubs from ovens and king joining. Dookie, katandra, tungamah, Katy, shepp east

Having seen Tatong, Swanspool and Goorambat first hand and I can only assume Longwood are a similar Standard. Those 4 sides would be roughly 30 goals behind the 5 old Tungamah sides mentioned.

Tocumwal Football Netball Club members voted overwhelmingly in favour of a move to Picola District Football Netball League on Wednesday night. Ninety per cent (234) of the votes received were in favour of the Murray Football Netball League club joining PDFNL, compared to 26 votes against and two informal votes.

It was the second time the Bloods’ members had gone to the ballot box on the issue after a vote on July 17 failed to reach the 75 per cent majority required for a move to proceed. Of the 223 votes received then, 152 were for the move (68 per cent) and 71 were against, with a further 14 informal votes received. A week later the club announced it would have a second vote.

Tocumwal president Bob Bourke said it was acknowledged the move was not going to fix the issue and there was still work to do to ensure the club’s long-term future was sustainable.
Bourke said the committee reiterated on Wednesday night some among them wished to stay in the Murray league, but would support the club regardless.

‘‘We’ve acknowledged all the way through, and again last night, we appreciated there’s still people who are going to be upset and it’s going to be very hard,’’ Bourke said. ‘‘But we just have to ensure we now give it everything we can to ensure the move is both justified and fruitful.’’
Bourke said the committee was looking at the playing list for next year and was speaking to a combination of candidates from inside and outside the club to take over from coach Shane Gorman.

The club’s annual general meeting is scheduled for August 28, when committee positions will be decided. Tocumwal must apply to be cleared from MFNL, requiring 75 per cent of club delegates’ votes to pass, and then lodge a formal application with PDFNL, where it hopes to join the north-west division.

PDFNL president Shane Railton hoped to have a meeting about the week of the AFL grand final where Tocumwal would make a presentation to the board and possibly club representatives.
He hoped to have a proposal in relation to the league entering the administration of the AFL Goulburn Murray commission at that same meeting. ‘‘Naturally the views of the clubs will be considered, but ultimately at the end of the day the constitution states the board makes the decision,’’ Railton said.

MFL general manager Dale Norman, who attended Wednesday’s meeting, said the league would be sad for the club to leave because it was a valuable member. ‘‘Unfortunately, it’s just the realities. They have to try something different,’’ Norman said. ‘‘From a league’s point of view, I still think we’re a very healthy league with 12 clubs.’’

I understand that a few SE clubs are very keen to have Toc move to the SE but it makes alot more sense they move to the NW. Very similar size towns and communities to other teams in the NW and also some old rivals. No side from the SE travel through Toc to go to any other side but in the north west Toc is almost the most central location. Seems a simple solution and would improve the NW league greatly.

Don't mind the idea of SE will give the folk around that area another club in another league to play in and they would be able to draw from around shep to. Travel is that bad either with shep being 50 odd minutes away. Have they got players that moved to the club from the likes of Berrigan, blighty will they play against there old clubs

I tend to agree with Mac. I know a bit re Blighty and they have a few players they have recruited from Toc can't think of many if any the other way. If they go in NW maybe that would stop them returning to Toc? However I see that as being maybe a little shortsighted to think of current player situations. IMO improving the league makes it far more appealing long term in so far as recruiting from outside our league as well as maybe help retain players we have developed from juniors, which should help all clubs hopefully. Locality wise perfect for NW. Normally the Vic clubs on our side are concerned if clubs further north apply to come in due to travel issues impacting on recruitment of juniors as well as senior players and I have supported that theory. This time though I can't see too many negatives for Toc to come in the NW.

Tatong and Swanpool have rejected the forced three way merge with far away Goorombat, especially with G'bat to host most of the games.

Latest news is Tatong and Swanpool have agreed a two merger, and if not welcome in the O&K will be seeking to join PDFL. Is there any room for another club in SE division?

While we're at it scrap all the other minor leagues and put everyone in the picola league. Seems to be way everyone thinks. "This isn't working we'll join the picola league". Does say something about the way the league is run though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of the Tatong Swans joining the South East. The PDFL have been revolutionary with their acceptance of new teams. Starting with Strathmerton, Tungamah, Katamatite and Katandra in the 90s. Berrigan, Shepp East, Dookie, Rennie in the 00s and now Tocumwal and perhaps Tatong Swans. They have split the comp. Obviously doing something right as they could possibly cater for upwards of 70 football sides and 130 netball sides.

As the power that be dissolved the leagues to the east of Shepparton the clubs have gravitated back together and the PDFL has provided that vehicle. Every step if the way the PDFL has made moves to ensure the existing clubs needs are met first. Remember the absurd proposal of taking on the whole Central Goulburn League?

I hope that the Tatong Swans can find a home in the Picola SE (even though they really should've been trying to get a Goorambat, or one of the old Tungamah FL clubs like the All Blacks or Violet Town to boost their numbers, but that's another story), even though the chances of them getting enough players for a Under 17's & 14's team looks pretty slim, not including getting Junior Netball as well (Longwood has had the same issues in the KDFL, but at least the league did the right thing by letting them in, even though everyone knew that the transition would be long and difficult).

The whole Ovens & King situation has been a debacle from day one, and I hope that the Swans find a new nest in 2014, if not for the reason you'll keep two clubs alive for next year instead of having them go quietly into the night.

I hope that the Tatong Swans can find a home in the Picola SE (even though they really should've been trying to get a Goorambat, or one of the old Tungamah FL clubs like the All Blacks or Violet Town to boost their numbers, but that's another story), even though the chances of them getting enough players for a Under 17's & 14's team looks pretty slim, not including getting Junior Netball as well (Longwood has had the same issues in the KDFL, but at least the league did the right thing by letting them in, even though everyone knew that the transition would be long and difficult).

The whole Ovens & King situation has been a debacle from day one, and I hope that the Swans find a new nest in 2014, if not for the reason you'll keep two clubs alive for next year instead of having them go quietly into the night.
You are assuming the league have GONE after Swanpool / Tatong , I am yet to see nor here of anything other than a willingness to hear of any clubs case, should they wish and be permitted to go elsewhere .

Latest from Tatong Swans

After a very (very) brief discussion at the AGM (held on Monday Night 2.12.2013), and without objection from any of the 12 remaining Ovens and King clubs Tatong and Swanpool are in the process of being released from the Ovens and King League. We are hopeful that this will be a swift process (as there were no objections) and we can actively and officially pursue entry into the Picola League.

If the Tatong Swans do this properly they can market themselves as a very good option for people in the Benalla area. The PDFNL is a very family orientated league that I am sure families of Benalla will appreciate. Give it a good go and I am sure after a rocky start you will find your feet and survive for many years.

BREAKING NEWS FROM TATONG

AFL VIC country have denied our request for further time to negotiate with picola league despite John O'Donohue stating they were not blocking the process.
Meeting tonight at gliding club 7pm. With Tatong FNC & Swanpool FNC EVERYONE urged to attend.

Also netball meeting with VNA at the Benalla Bowls Club 6pm again all are encouraged to attend.

BREAKING NEWS FROM TATONG

AFL VIC country have denied our request for further time to negotiate with picola league despite John O'Donohue stating they were not blocking the process.
Meeting tonight at gliding club 7pm. With Tatong FNC & Swanpool FNC EVERYONE urged to attend.

Also netball meeting with VNA at the Benalla Bowls Club 6pm again all are encouraged to attend.

Any updates on how this is going? Are they in or out??

Breaking news, 9 Jan 2014 from Shepparton News

Picola District Football League has left the door open for Swanpool and Tatong to join the league for next season

Picola District Football League president Shane Railton remains open to the possibility of wantaway Ovens and King Football League clubs Swanpool and Tatong joining the league next season.

The two clubs were recommended to undergo a three-way merger with fellow struggling club Goorambat, following an AFL North East Border Commission review into the viability of football in the region.

Swanpool and Tatong rejected the offer and were excluded from this year’s OKFL fixture, ratified at the league’s annual general meeting last month.

However, the two clubs have not been granted permission to negotiate with another league, because the deadline for opening such discussions was July 31.

At that time the review process was still to be completed.

The clubs requested an extension on that time frame at the discretion of AFL Victoria Country football manager Brett Connell, but it was denied ‘‘due to the impact such discussions would have on another league at this time of year (mid-December)’’.

However, Railton said that was not necessarily a concern for the PDFL board.

‘‘If it’s on the grounds of disruption to our league, I would have thought we would have been contacted to find out what sort of distraction it would have,’’ Railton said.

‘‘We have not spoken officially with Tatong-Swanpool and we haven’t heard from AFL Victoria Country in that regard.

‘‘AFL Vic Country certainly has not asked for our input or to my knowledge they are not even aware that we’ve done a fixture or anything like that, because it’s not on our website. It’s been circulated to our clubs, but it certainly hasn’t been publicised anywhere else.

‘‘It’s no real big issue for us, it’s a bit of restructuring of the draw, but at the moment nothing has really gone to print.’’

Railton first opened the door to Swanpool and Tatong two months ago, when he told The News the two clubs were welcome to make a presentation to the PDFL as ‘‘they would fit within what we believe is some form of expansion for our league’’.

While the door remains ajar as far as the PDFL is concerned, Railton said the decision to grant the two parties permission to speak rested with AFL Victoria Country.

‘‘If a club makes an application to us, we’ve got 21 days to give back an answer otherwise they’re accepted, so from our point of view if they get granted (permission to speak to us) we’ve got to consider it,’’ he said.

‘‘We haven’t even seen a presentation from (Tatong and Swanpool), so to predict what we may even come back with is a little bit unfair really.’’

As it stands, Tatong and Swanpool will have no on-field representation this year, despite still being considered part of OKFL, which is a major concern for Tatong president Felicity Munro.

The merge with Goorambat was rejected due to the proposed club being based at Goorambat — a town 60km from Tatong and Swanpool, which are 10km apart — and limited scope for negotiation of terms.

The clubs have appealed to Victorian Sport and Recreation Minister Hugh Delahunty and State Member for Benalla Bill Sykes, but to no avail.

Munro said legal action had been considered, but cost was an issue and the clubs were already looking to field a single team in PDFL’s south-east division.

‘‘This whole process has taken its toll on a lot of volunteers and a lot of people in both communities,’’ Munro said. ‘‘It’s no longer about the clubs, it’s no longer about communities, it’s no longer about families. The actions of AFL North East Border have made it about scoreboard results and about football and people have really lost faith in the whole concept of what it is to be a part of a club, so we’re having to pool our resources and try and draw that focus back into the family-based environment.

‘‘It’s an unfair battle and it’s fighting against scoreboard results, not against communities, so we’re trying to just enter into a league that has a few values that are a bit more in line with what we want.

‘‘We’re not going to go away, we’re going to do what we can to keep these footy communities and country towns alive.’’

IMO the alarming part of this whole process is the lack of public relations skills shown by our Governing Body. To go heavy handed like they appear to be surely isn't needed? I'm even more annoyed that they are trying to use the line “not granted permission to negotiate with another league due to the impact such discussions would have on another league” to hide behind the fact that IMO they simply don't want Swanpool/Tatong to go ahead as a joined entity. Please don't use that line to hide behind take FULL responsibility for what you are doing to these clubs. If you truly believe you are making the right decision then stand by that decision without muddying the water.

I know PDFNL well enough to know this wouldn't be the first time we have held up doing a draw etc whilst a few things got sorted, for example when the league was split.

John O'Donohue and Co, your apparent disrespect for the volunteers and members of these small football clubs with your heavy handed tactics is extremely disappointing particularly when you govern an industry dependent on VOLUNTEER work force. Volunteers who do so because of the passion and loyalty they have for their respective clubs, isn’t that the whole idea of “football clubs” regardless of league level. Trying to force mergers, in such a short time frame, with what appears to be very limited scope for negotiation, without giving a voice to these volunteers/club members was always going to cause unnecessary grief and as a volunteer watching on I find it discouraging and maddening. How would anyone like to be told, right you 3 are merging, you 2 over there you have to move to this home ground, don't complain, don't try to argue just do it or die!! So you think another league is going to save you, sorry but we rule things around here and we don't even want you talking to them...... of course we only say that in the best interests of that other league not that we have bothered to ask them. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling PDFNL may not be too popular in the powerhouse of AFL Victoria at the minute. Personally, I'm glad we are rocking their boat as I don't want to see them wander on in and use the same overbearing tactics on us.

I'm not saying grief could have been avoided totally, if player numbers are as bad as reported then something probably needed to happen. However, if AFL Victoria were adamant one way or another 3 had to become 1 they should have at least allowed far more time for negotiations of the details. Could the members of all three clubs been given the chance to vote on the home ground ,which appears to be the main obstacle?

Could the Tatong/Swanpool merger have gone ahead for this season, Goorambat stand alone , then reassess at an agreed time. A way could have been found to try and establish a new club that would have the backing of most people within the 3 clubs. The way things are I wouldn't be surprised if most of the volunteers involved simply gave up involvement in football if a suitable resolution isn't found. Perhaps their line of thinking was, just force the issue get the pain over with and everyone will settle down once the season starts? Umm…how’s that workin out for ya?? Or are you sitting in your office not listening

I just cannot believe the "sky would have fallen in" if things had taken a bit longer to sort out.

Yes sometimes governing bodies have to make tough decisions I am not disputing that, but surely in country football that is so dependant on a little thing (often undervalued in this world of “money in football”) called "loyalty" is it that hard to find a way to give respect and a voice to the people you rely on to keep country football alive.

Football clubs survive because of "loyalty and passion for the jumper". Changing a jumper may be easy, keeping the same level of "loyalty and Passion" with a merged entity takes a good degree of negotiation and co-operation…. not an iron fist!!

Given the nature of how things are going in the country at the moment with employment etc……. let’s not let the way this has been handled set a precedent for the future.

IMO the alarming part of this whole process is the lack of public relations skills shown by our Governing Body. To go heavy handed like they appear to be surely isn't needed? I'm even more annoyed that they are trying to use the line “not granted permission to negotiate with another league due to the impact such discussions would have on another league” to hide behind the fact that IMO they simply don't want Swanpool/Tatong to go ahead as a joined entity. Please don't use that line to hide behind take FULL responsibility for what you are doing to these clubs. If you truly believe you are making the right decision then stand by that decision without muddying the water.

I know PDFNL well enough to know this wouldn't be the first time we have held up doing a draw etc whilst a few things got sorted, for example when the league was split.

John O'Donohue and Co, your apparent disrespect for the volunteers and members of these small football clubs with your heavy handed tactics is extremely disappointing particularly when you govern an industry dependent on VOLUNTEER work force. Volunteers who do so because of the passion and loyalty they have for their respective clubs, isn’t that the whole idea of “football clubs” regardless of league level. Trying to force mergers, in such a short time frame, with what appears to be very limited scope for negotiation, without giving a voice to these volunteers/club members was always going to cause unnecessary grief and as a volunteer watching on I find it discouraging and maddening. How would anyone like to be told, right you 3 are merging, you 2 over there you have to move to this home ground, don't complain, don't try to argue just do it or die!! So you think another league is going to save you, sorry but we rule things around here and we don't even want you talking to them...... of course we only say that in the best interests of that other league not that we have bothered to ask them. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling PDFNL may not be too popular in the powerhouse of AFL Victoria at the minute. Personally, I'm glad we are rocking their boat as I don't want to see them wander on in and use the same overbearing tactics on us.

I'm not saying grief could have been avoided totally, if player numbers are as bad as reported then something probably needed to happen. However, if AFL Victoria were adamant one way or another 3 had to become 1 they should have at least allowed far more time for negotiations of the details. Could the members of all three clubs been given the chance to vote on the home ground ,which appears to be the main obstacle?

Could the Tatong/Swanpool merger have gone ahead for this season, Goorambat stand alone , then reassess at an agreed time. A way could have been found to try and establish a new club that would have the backing of most people within the 3 clubs. The way things are I wouldn't be surprised if most of the volunteers involved simply gave up involvement in football if a suitable resolution isn't found. Perhaps their line of thinking was, just force the issue get the pain over with and everyone will settle down once the season starts? Umm…how’s that workin out for ya?? Or are you sitting in your office not listening

I just cannot believe the "sky would have fallen in" if things had taken a bit longer to sort out.

Yes sometimes governing bodies have to make tough decisions I am not disputing that, but surely in country football that is so dependant on a little thing (often undervalued in this world of “money in football”) called "loyalty" is it that hard to find a way to give respect and a voice to the people you rely on to keep country football alive.

Football clubs survive because of "loyalty and passion for the jumper". Changing a jumper may be easy, keeping the same level of "loyalty and Passion" with a merged entity takes a good degree of negotiation and co-operation…. not an iron fist!!

Given the nature of how things are going in the country at the moment with employment etc……. let’s not let the way this has been handled set a precedent for the future. [/quote
could not agree more well said

As they say "Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it", because look at what the AFL (and that football Judas, Ross Oakley) did in 1996, by sending the best cuts of Fitzroy's carcass off to Brisbane (which was made worse by the smug, contemptuous attitude of the Bears Chairman Noel Gordon after North were shafted), and trying to force a merger between Melbourne & Hawthorn.

That period saw a lot of good people lose interest in the game (including members of my own family, who when Fitzroy were no more, stopped going to or taking interest in the footy), and caused the most controversial and infamous seasons in AFL History (apart from 2013) a lot of wounds in AFL football that have never truly healed.

I was mad keen for the Lions, and even though I follow Brisbane now (it took me a while to warm to them, but I saw the 3 premierships, so that won me over), it's not with any of the passion that I had when I had a team in Melbourne to support.

And that's the reason why I fail to see how forcing club to disappear is in any way good for local football, we know that there are a lot of clubs on borrowed time, and in a few areas of Victoria (the Mallee being the main region), there have a number of mergers that have occurred where the clubs now have the legacy of 2 or more clubs behind them (Ouyen United being the most with 6 clubs being linked to the current team), but these occurred naturally through outside factors and not wanting clubs to disappear entirely, without having a football Caesar giving the thumbs down.

It seems that Tatong and Swanpool barring a miracle are gone forever (Once a club goes into recess, it rarely comes back) unless the PSEFL throws the club a lifeline (it needs to happen soon, because its 5 minutes 'til midnight for them), and if the likely scenario happens in that Swanpool & Tatong don't find a home, you will see a lot of good people drift away from the game entirely.

I took an interest in this because with the new Murray Goulburn Commission running the KDFL, I feared they would do to Longwood and Ardmona what they've (the North East Commission) done to Swanpool & Tatong (I know there's a lot of people who would like Ardmona gone, but not due to the whim of a football Caesar), and that's why I hope that the David Swanpool & Tatong can put one right between the eyes of the Goliath of the VCFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back