Status
Not open for further replies.

Congrats to everyone involved. Just wanna mention the 3rds game
That Katunga coach should give it up
Poor kids have to put up with that loser thinking he has half an idea
His speeches/everything he did was ridiculous
Well done strathy bad luck the talented kids wit the stupid coach

Not a fan?

I’m sure that both Katunga and Strathmerton do, all other teams had at least 18 throughout the season but rarely a full 22

Really - was told yesterday Strathy had a fourths boy playing yesterday and throughout the finals for them? Pretty sure noticed Waaia and Rennie doing the same and Rennie had at least one backup between fourths and thirds in the prelims last weekend?

On that point - do those who don't think the young lads should be playing thirds and seniors also have the same objections to boys playing 4ths + 3rds week in week out, or 3rds and 2nds? Just curious, especially considering these are consecutive game senarios.

Really - was told yesterday Strathy had a fourths boy playing yesterday and throughout the finals for them? Pretty sure noticed Waaia and Rennie doing the same and Rennie had at least one backup between fourths and thirds in the prelims last weekend?

On that point - do those who don't think the young lads should be playing thirds and seniors also have the same objections to boys playing 4ths + 3rds week in week out, or 3rds and 2nds? Just curious, especially considering these are consecutive game senarios.

Spot on. Only club with 22 was Katunga.

On your second point. I think consecutive games is a massively bigger ask than playing 3rds and 1sts

Now that the season is done and dusted, if the league does not either pick up or lose any more clubs, interested to know peoples opinions on the finals structure with the top 8 etc.

IMO I think the pass out system between grounds for each day in the first weekend worked well with the elimination and qualifying finals being played at nearby clubs (better than MFL anyway) even if was somewhat confusing at first having a mix of elimination and qualifying games on the same day together. I believe the perceived disadvantage to a top four team playing on a Sunday or two is in reality insignificant over the whole finals series. Interestingly 3 of the 4 football premiers all started their finals on the first Sunday.

I also like the fact every team has to play at least twice to make the grand final - makes the grand final a fairer contest with all sides on the park having played the week prior.
Interested in others opinions please.

Final 8 worked extremely well despite some issues with fixturing, which was no doubt created by need for new fixture so close to the start of the season. The late notice also removed the option of having the elimination and qualifying finals over two weekends and without having the grand final 1 week later , being this coming week and creating all 4 grand finals in the AFLGM region on the same weekend as well as the O&M grandfinal. The flow on would have also been if staying with tradition of having the senior Vote Count on the Monday night prior to the GF would have seen it clash with the GVFL's, O&M's vote count.
I believe the attendance at both senior , junior(1st ever formal) vote counts as well as the Grand Final were beyond expectation, likewise the online live streaming.

In regards to junior numbers it is interesting to view what is happening around the footy world.
Reports of a local league being forced to play a 3rds semi finals with as low a 12 players per side due to lack of numbers and the same league often had match days featuring only 1 game of footy and two games of netball.
Whilst a club in a neighboring league has apparently received notification that if they don't have XXX amount of committed juniors to play 3rds for 2019 signed up shortly, they won't be permitted to play in that league in 2019 or beyond.
I think the introduction of the U11's will assist the leagues clubs to maintain junior players beyond Auskick rather than seeing them be recruited to other nearby clubs and as a result clubs will start to see numbers increase.

Last edited:
Final 8 worked extremely well despite some issues with fixturing, which was no doubt created by need for new fixture so close to the start of the season. The late notice also removed the option of having the elimination and qualifying finals over two weekends and without having the grand final 1 week later , being this coming week and creating all 4 grand finals in the AFLGM region on the same weekend as well as the O&M grandfinal. The flow on would have also been if staying with tradition of having the senior Vote Count on the Monday night prior to the GF would have seen it clash with the GVFL's, O&M's vote count.
I believe the attendance at both senior , junior(1st ever formal) vote counts as well as the Grand Final were beyond expectation, likewise the online live streaming.

In regards to junior numbers it is interesting to view what is happening around the footy world.
Reports of a local league being forced to play a 3rds semi finals with as low a 12 players per side due to lack of numbers and the same league often had match days featuring only 1 game of footy and two games of netball.
Whilst a club in a neighboring league has apparently received notification that if they don't have XXX amount of committed juniors to play 3rds for 2019 signed up shortly, they won't be permitted to play in that league in 2019 or beyond.
I think the introduction of the U11's will assist the leagues clubs to maintain junior players beyond Auskick rather than seeing them be recruited to other nearby clubs and as a result clubs will start to see numbers increase.

In regards to your second point above about junior numbers in other leagues, would you like to elaborate a little please, just to put it in context please, especially in relation to location, thanks.

In regards to U11's it is interesting to see the different approach taken by different clubs with this as I have been told some have the little ones train weekly and some don't. Haven't seen many of the games but wonder if that is reflected in the games?

On a few issues:
Super job by Jerilderie on saturday hosting
Rennie had 23 under 17, but normally 20/21 to pick from any given day and in prelim had an under 14 on the bench
Decision re Joel O'Dwyer in the 1's not 3's was made early primarily at that stage because of lack of any depth in 1's, but he then comfortably held his spot all year and was super in grand final decision made with family and 3's coach support
Continue to love the sub rule
In a 13 team draw which is always going to be skewed an 8 is a good idea and i am happy to play 4 finals over first weekend, will never be perfect scheduling, but do not want an extra week of finals
Do we want 4 teams back???
Do we want 2 divisions???
Good umpires were excellent during year but there are some very questionable ones
Under 11's train weekly at hoppers
I thought i heard on the stream a $35k gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back