Competitions Pieman 2019 - Rd 13 v Carlton (post your bankers here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks to the mid-year trade period, I had 5 scoring player this week for I think the first time ever!

Me too, only missed Bont :( probably going to be my highest weekly score as well, although if only Suckling took his chances :(

Me too, only missed Bont :( probably going to be my highest weekly score as well, although if only Suckling took his chances :(
I think my banker (Naughton) was actually my 5th best scorer. Hopefully I still get the bonus points, even if the regular points drop out of my total.

We've got to iron out a few minor issues from the trade period so it might take another day to confirm the Rd13 results.

I'm sure you'll all appreciate it's more important to get the results out accurately than quickly ...

... Mexican Girl notwithstanding.

PIEMAN RESULTS RD 13 v CARLTON

This was our first game after the trade period and we kicked 15 goals, so some decent Pieman scores were recorded. Eight teams had 5 goalscorers, so that's a sign that the trade period has fixed a few problems. (Of course only your best 4 count each week.)

A few tales of woe though...
  • lateniter dropped Richards and brought in English which would have been worth an extra 50 points straight off and taken him up to 8th overall, but then he had a late change of heart and reinstated Richards. Perhaps he should have slept on it.
  • A lot of people got on the Gardner bandwagon and although he kicked a goal it was a disappointing second game from him. Maybe he's not the good thing we thought he was.
  • Bont2Boyd and I jumped onto Libba only to see him go off with a cartilage injury in the second quarter. Could be out for a few weeks. Dammit, I should've stuck with McLean after all.
There's probably a few more tales like that. Save them for the after-game drinks (and pies) at the bar.

Pieman Player of the Week
Tim English is the leading Pieman points-getter this week but only narrowly from a resurgent Paddy Lipinski.
Note that PotW and PotY continue to be assessed on the basis of pre-season handicaps, not trade handicaps.

1560688629149.png

Pieman Player of the Year
Aaron Naughton still has a big lead but Sam Lloyd has pegged him back a bit. We also saw Naughton shifted to defence late in the game - was that a sign of things to come? Or was it just an emergency measure when the Blues came storming back into it?

1560688896338.png

The KELVIN
While there were some tales of woe, I think ossie_21 will be pretty pleased with his late changes. He brought in English and Lipinski (the quinella in this week's PPotW in case you missed it) to replace Wallis and Gowers. Needless to say Ossie is our Kelvin winner this week.

More than half the field cracked the ton this week and Ossie topped 200.

1560689144858.png

The PIEMAN
Second-placed Curly5 came third in the Kelvin this week but our Pieman leader TempletonTheRat wasn't far behind and didn't give up much of his handy lead. He's still 48 pts ahead of Curly but there were some big scores behind dish licker who is only just clinging onto third.

Ossie_21 jumped from 19th up to 9th.

A few interesting weeks coming up ... how will the trade period shift the balance of power? Or will Templeton scoot away like a rat up a drainpipe?

1560689409831.png

Had a thought dogwatch for next year's Como that would really throw a cat amongst the pigeons and add some real excitement to the pieman

In light of Dunkley's sensational goal, what do you think of this -

If the player you select as your banker earns a goal of the week nomination, then for that goal, your score for that player is multiplied by 5 for that goal only. It wouldn't happen that often, but it would add a real boost to your score if you were lucky enough to have them.

The other alternative,mid you wanted it to be a more regular occurance, is for you and Vinegar Mess to nominate a goal of the week and apply it that way. We'd just have to trust that you as government officials were playing fair...

It's usually pretty obvious which is the best bulldogs goal each week anyway

Thoughts?

Had a thought dogwatch for next year's Como that would really throw a cat amongst the pigeons and add some real excitement to the pieman

In light of Dunkley's sensational goal, what do you think of this -

If the player you select as your banker earns a goal of the week nomination, then for that goal, your score for that player is multiplied by 5 for that goal only. It wouldn't happen that often, but it would add a real boost to your score if you were lucky enough to have them.

The other alternative,mid you wanted it to be a more regular occurance, is for you and Vinegar Mess to nominate a goal of the week and apply it that way. We'd just have to trust that you as government officials were playing fair...

It's usually pretty obvious which is the best bulldogs goal each week anyway

Thoughts?
If you think Vinegar Mess and I would play fair then you really know nothing about government.

Thanks. Nice idea, but I'm not keen on adding random factors like GotW (who kicked the first goal has also been a suggestion in the past) if they're going to have a huge impact. I mean what if it was Duryea who kicked it - it'd be worth over 300 points and could potentially kill off the comp with one kick. Maybe it's more befitting a PiemanX type of comp.

Perhaps if it was not x5 for that goal but simply +10 or +20 on the team score?

It adds another complexity to the score calculations too. Not beyond our capabilities of course, but complexity adds to maintenance/testing effort and increases the likelihood of errors creeping in over time.

I'm also wary about subjective measures like GotW. If you could convince the club (or your mate Bob) to declare a semi-official WBGotW every week then I'd consider using them as the arbiter, but getting someone on BF to do it is unsatisfactory IMO.

No idea what VM thinks yet. Anyway, we'll throw it in the mix for 2020, but no promises.

No idea what VM thinks yet. Anyway, we'll throw it in the mix for 2020, but no promises.
VM had conniptions thinking about the necessary spreadsheet updates!

I don’t mind the idea of a wildcard-type factor but it would need to be objective and, yes, less impactful than x5. Apparently something to muse about during the off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PIEMAN RESULTS RD 13 v CARLTON

This was our first game after the trade period and we kicked 15 goals, so some decent Pieman scores were recorded. Eight teams had 5 goalscorers, so that's a sign that the trade period has fixed a few problems. (Of course only your best 4 count each week.)

A few tales of woe though...
  • lateniter dropped Richards and brought in English which would have been worth an extra 50 points straight off and taken him up to 8th overall, but then he had a late change of heart and reinstated Richards. Perhaps he should have slept on it.
  • A lot of people got on the Gardner bandwagon and although he kicked a goal it was a disappointing second game from him. Maybe he's not the good thing we thought he was.
  • Bont2Boyd and I jumped onto Libba only to see him go off with a cartilage injury in the second quarter. Could be out for a few weeks. Dammit, I should've stuck with McLean after all.
There's probably a few more tales like that. Save them for the after-game drinks (and pies) at the bar.

Pieman Player of the Week
Tim English is the leading Pieman points-getter this week but only narrowly from a resurgent Paddy Lipinski.
Note that PotW and PotY continue to be assessed on the basis of pre-season handicaps, not trade handicaps.

View attachment 693715

Pieman Player of the Year
Aaron Naughton still has a big lead but Sam Lloyd has pegged him back a bit. We also saw Naughton shifted to defence late in the game - was that a sign of things to come? Or was it just an emergency measure when the Blues came storming back into it?

View attachment 693718

The KELVIN
While there were some tales of woe, I think ossie_21 will be pretty pleased with his late changes. He brought in English and Lipinski (the quinella in this week's PPotW in case you missed it) to replace Wallis and Gowers. Needless to say Ossie is our Kelvin winner this week.

More than half the field cracked the ton this week and Ossie topped 200.

View attachment 693719

The PIEMAN
Second-placed Curly5 came third in the Kelvin this week but our Pieman leader TempletonTheRat wasn't far behind and didn't give up much of his handy lead. He's still 48 pts ahead of Curly but there were some big scores behind dish licker who is only just clinging onto third.

Ossie_21 jumped from 19th up to 9th.

A few interesting weeks coming up ... how will the trade period shift the balance of power? Or will Templeton scoot away like a rat up a drainpipe?

View attachment 693722

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out.
But I'm playing the long game...
Waiting for West!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back