Competitions PIEMAN 2020 - Final Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the long delay folks, I've been away. But the wait is over to discover who is our official Pieman for 2020 ... (yawn).

It's Charlie Bucket !

Here's your gong Charlie - 🎖 - congratulations young fella!

Charlie not only won by a comfortable 384 points but he actually started a game later than everybody else. Normally this would have been an impediment but maybe this year it helped because he was able to see that Vandermeer had been selected for his debut in Round 2 ... and the rest is history.

The two other Vandermeerians filled out the podium places - congrats to Wocka and ossie_21 the only others to pass 2000 points.

Top of the Vandermeerless set (the rest of us) was LordC who also deserves our applause for doing it the hard way. He finished 41 points clear of Sharkey66 and six others in a cluster of only 60 points.

1602482639845.png

Our Pieman Player of the Year was never in doubt. It is of course Laitham Vandermeer who snuck under the handicappers guard at the start of the year and won by a comfortable 200 points with only 9 goals. A tip of the hat to Mitch Wallis who topped our goalscoring and finished in second place. And who would have guessed that Josh Schache would finish bottom of that list with only 2 goals and 22 points?

1602480478728.png

Elimination Final Results
The Elim Final results (Kelvin, PPotW) will be posted in the thread for that game.

Next Year
I'll be posting more here on how we might proceed in 2021 but as most of you would know we have been trialling a different approach (called "Pieman Mk II" until now) and that seems to me like the best way to go, perhaps with a few modifications. Thanks also to those who participated in that trial.

Your feedback and suggestions are welcome, as always.

So once again, thanks to everyone who participated and provided encouragement and feedback through the year. It's been a strange old season but we got there.
In particular I'd like to thank Vinegar Mess once again for all the help he has provided over the last 2-3 years. Hope to see you back on the board again soon, VM!

Go Dogs!

Last edited:
Thanks for running again dogwatch and congrats to CB even though he snuck in VDM with the advantage post-break ;)

Not that it matters all that much, but any reason why there's different values for english as banker in the table above?
Hmmmm, I'll look into that. Thanks.

I had to do some quick worksheet changes to incorporate the Elim Final (the workbook had already been hacked a bit due to the changed season) so something is definitely not right!

English didn't kick a goal in that match so it's probably just that column that didn't get fixed.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry for the long delay folks, I've been away. But the wait is over to discover who is our official Pieman for 2020 ... (yawn).

It's Charlie Bucket !

Here's your gong Charlie - 🎖 - congratulations young fella!

Charlie not only won by a comfortable 384 points but he actually started a game later than everybody else. Normally this would have been an impediment but maybe this year it helped because he was able to see that Vandermeer had been selected for his debut in Round 2 ... and the rest is history.

The two other Vandermeerians filled out the podium places - congrats to Wocka and ossie_21 the only others to pass 2000 points.

Top of the Vandermeerless set (the rest of us) was LordC who also deserves our applause for doing it the hard way. He finished 41 points clear of Sharkey66 and six others in a cluster of only 60 points.

View attachment 983552

Our Pieman Player of the Year was never in doubt. It is of course Laitham Vandermeer who snuck under the handicappers guard at the start of the year and won by a comfortable 200 points with only 9 goals. A tip of the hat to Mitch Wallis who topped our goalscoring and finished in second place. And who would have guessed that Josh Schache would finish bottom of that list with only 2 goals and 22 points?

View attachment 983558

Elimination Final Results
The Elim Final results (Kelvin, PPotW) will be posted in the thread for that game.

Next Year
I'll be posting more here on how we might proceed in 2021 but as most of you would know we have been trialling a different approach (called "Pieman Mk II" until now) and that seems to me like the best way to go, perhaps with a few modifications. Thanks also to those who participated in that trial.

Your feedback and suggestions are welcome, as always.

So once again, thanks to everyone who participated and provided encouragement and feedback through the year. It's been a strange old season but we got there.
In particular I'd like to thank Vinegar Mess once again for all the help he has provided over the last 2-3 years. Hope to see you back on the board again soon, VM!

Go Dogs!

Cheers Dogwatch!!

You’re right, I got a massive leg up coming in a week late. I think the kudos needs to go to Ozzie_21 and Wocka for having the kahunas to take Vanders before a ball had been bounced.

Thanks for the effort in running it for the season too, I’m sure it was fairly time consuming. Look forward to next seasons new hybrid Pieman!!

Thanks for running again dogwatch and congrats to CB even though he snuck in VDM with the advantage post-break ;)

Not that it matters all that much, but any reason why there's different values for english as banker in the table above?
OK, all fixed - I've replaced the leaderboard above. It was showing the right banker but the banker scores for each of them were wrong.
Human error as usual! :flushed:

The correct values were used in the Kelvin scores (will post those shortly) and in finalising the season totals.

Here's another little piece of Pieman trivia for those who can't get enough of it. The list of Kelvin winners for 2020.

Highest score in any given week was ossie_21 with 345 points in Rd 9. The next two best Kelvin winning scores were both from Charlie Bucket - 325 and 303.

Kelvin wins in 2020:
5 - Charlie Bucket
3 - ossie_21 and Wocka
2 - Northern Dogs, Sharkey66, businessfish and Doggies_13
1 - jaxie1, Floridog

1602484214315.png

Here's another little piece of Pieman trivia for those who can't get enough of it. The list of Kelvin winners for 2020.

Highest score in any given week was ossie_21 with 345 points in Rd 9. The next two best Kelvin winning scores were both from Charlie Bucket - 325 and 303.

Kelvin wins in 2020:
5 - Charlie Bucket
3 - ossie_21 and Wocka
2 - Northern Dogs, Sharkey66, businessfish and Doggies_13
1 - jaxie1, Floridog

View attachment 983659

Thanks for running it again, much appreciated.

Just a quick question, would that also be the highest Kelvin score since inception of the pieman?

Just a quick question, would that also be the highest Kelvin score since inception of the pieman?
I'll have to consult Wisden on that. I don't think so. Will let you know...

Just went back a few years to 2016.

In 2019 the highest score was Snarls Barkley with 331.
In 2018 it was that man again (Snarls) with 458, plus dogwatch with 453 and Snarls again with 447.
In 2017 the highest was StringyDog with 426 then jaxie1 with 372.
In 2016 the highest two scores went to threenewpadlocks with - wait for it - 660 and then StringyDog again with a whopping 602

For the first four years (2012-15) the handicaps were calibrated differently so the season total of the winner was always under 1000 and weekly scores would rarely if ever get to 100. So I doubt threenewpadlocks will ever be beaten for a weekly score.

Since I re-calibrated handicaps in 2016 the highest season totals have been X_box_X (2018) with 4202 and StringyDog (2016) with 4164. The last two years haven't got close to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you DW good to ‘support’ the comp from the bottom again - Kritter 35 is a good number though :)
The club B&F for 2020 is terribly upset that you overlooked him.

Congratulations, Charlie Bucket , and thanks dogwatch . Happy to have made top 10 in this year of madness.

If you will be changing the rules for 2021 you will have to give me very explicit and simple instructions :p . Sorry, I haven't kept up with your alternative plan.

See you all next year! (on this comp ;) )

Congratulations, Charlie Bucket , and thanks dogwatch . Happy to have made top 10 in this year of madness.

If you will be changing the rules for 2021 you will have to give me very explicit and simple instructions :p . Sorry, I haven't kept up with your alternative plan.

See you all next year! (on this comp ;) )
It’ll be easy. If you have managed the Pieman until now you’ll have no problem with the new one (except maybe picking the right players!)

I’m also aware that you aren’t retiring until you’ve won it. Well done on cracking the top 10!

It's Charlie Bucket !

Charlie not only won by a comfortable 384 points but he actually started a game later than everybody else. Normally this would have been an impediment but maybe this year it helped because he was able to see that Vandermeer had been selected for his debut in Round 2 ... and the
rest is history.

....maybe it helped?.......really Dogwatch, maybe............THERE'S NO FARKIN MAYBE ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

As well as his pie with sauce, make sure he also gets the worlds biggest asterisk.

1602577945639.png

..and as for you Bucket, you can shove your smug You’re right, I got a massive leg up coming in a week late. I think the kudos needs to go to Ozzie_21 and Wocka for having the kahunas to take Vanders before a ball had been bounced right up your you know where.

Bucket, you can have my kudos, give me my farkin Pieman. (I reckon I had Ozzie covered, he sounds like a stoner)

See you next year, you pricks :)

.....and sour grapes taste like s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back