Competitions PiemanX

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not a separate comp from the Pieman. It's just a little add-on for those in the Pieman who want to participate.

It'll work best though if we keep PiemanX nominations, discussion and progress scores in this separate thread, so as not to befuddle the usual Pieman thread.

See the PiemanX details in the post below.

PiemanX

This year we’re trialling a new idea called PiemanX. We’re hoping it adds a little bit more intrigue to the season.

The idea is to collaborate with other contestants in the Pieman comp to form superteams, (hereafter called “PiemanX teams”).

Each PiemanX team must comprise three Pieman comp entrants who agree to play together.

Apart from nominating your PiemanX team you don’t really need to do anything extra. However … you may choose to consider forms of collaboration as the year progresses, e.g. who to include in your respective Pieman teams, who to trade in/out during the trade period and when to use your allocated bankers.

We’ll need at least 4 or 5 PiemanX teams to make it viable – a dozen would be great – so please give it a go and let’s see how it pans out.

RULES

Each PiemanX team comprises three Pieman entrants (teams) who agree to play PiemanX together and who nominate in the PiemanX thread.

No Pieman player can be a member of more than one PiemanX team at any one time.

PiemanX teams score points as follows:

• Each regular Pieman team has 6 WB players so it follows that each PiemanX team has 18 WB players. However some of these will be duplicates (e.g. Schache might appear multiple times). Only the best four WB player scores out of these 18 are counted and they must be four different players. That is you can’t use any one WB player twice in working out your weekly PiemanX score.
  • The best banker score within the PiemanX team also counts toward the team score for that round.
Weekly PiemanX team scores are accumulated over the season and the team with the highest aggregate season score is the PiemanX winner.

Trade period

Just to add a bit of spice …

If you are unhappy with your PiemanX team any two of you can vote out the third team member but only during the Pieman trade period of 3-15 June. But before you do that make sure you have someone lined up to take their place!

All PiemanX scores for the team to that point will stand, but obviously any scores accruing after the trade period must be based on the new team members.

NB: Since it’s a new concept we might decide to make some minor tweaks to the rules before Round 1 but we don’t want to make changes once the season’s under way if we can help it. Also, if we don’t get enough entries we’ll ditch it. Feedback on the concept is always welcome.

HOW TO ENTER

There is a dedicated PiemanX thread (this one). Get agreement to form a team from two other Pieman entrants. There is no “captain” as such so any one of you can post your nominated PiemanX team in that thread.

Include a name for your PiemanX team. The usual BF rules of no offensive or obscene names will apply.

If you want to enter PiemanX but don’t know who to enter with, just list yourself in the PiemanX thread as an available player and someone can draft you into their team, either by PM’ing you or simply by posting in the PiemanX thread. (You can however knock back being drafted if you don’t want to be in that team.)

We will moderate the thread if it will help – e.g. by summarising who’s still available to join a PiemanX team, so you don’t have to go trawling through all the posts trying to work it out.

SOME TACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS

As noted you don’t really have to do anything extra – you can just form a team and see how it pans out. However it’s probably going to help your chances if your PiemanX team:

• Has a good spread of WB players. No point having too much doubling or tripling up.
  • Rations out the use of banker quotas so you have at least one banker between the three of you for every game.
  • Has different bankers in any round that you use more than one banker.
  • Collaborates a little on what might be the best trades to make during trade period.
  • Keeps tactical discussions with teammates to PMs.
Of course all that has to be balanced with you trying to beat all of the opposition players in the main comp – the Pieman. It could get interesting if your closest competitor in the Pieman just happens to be one of your PiemanX teammates!

Oh, and a little bit of public PiemanX inter-team rivalry and banter is just fine!

I know it's early days but if you want to be in the PiemanX comp but don't know who to team up with, just post here that you're available.

Alternatively, if you've already got your team of three worked out, post your team name and the names of the three members here. Naturally you all need to agree to be in the team together and you'll each need to nominate a Pieman team of your own before Round 1.

Last edited:

Progress report.

So far Boydshow, Vital Dread and ScragCity have declared themselves free agents. PM them if you want to buddy up.

And in the revered AFL tradition of making it up as we go...

While it'd be nice to get our PiemanX teams up and running before Rd 1 I can understand that everybody's a bit shy. Or wary. Or both.

So maybe we'll get our regular pieman comp going first and make Round 1 a PiemanX JLT. That'll allow a bit of time to throw a few teams together once we know who's in the Pieman. A lot of people wait for the WB team to be named for round 1 before entering the Pieman anyway, which will make it a bit of a scramble trying to get PiemanX teams together at the last minute.

Once the dust has settled on Round 1 we can focus on getting our PiemanX teams sorted.

It'll also give everyone a chance to see who's got a decent Pieman team. No doubt whoever wins the Rd 1 Kelvin will be hot PiemanX property!

OK piefolk, let's see if this will work or not.
We have 38 regular Pieman entries and the comp kicked off well in Round 1 (see here). It should tick along quite nicely as usual.

In theory with those 38 we could form about 12 PiemanX teams but of course not everyone will want to be in it. However if we can get a minimum of four teams together I'm happy to keep PiemanX going and publish results each week.

The following have already said they're in - boydshow ScragCity VitalDread and Kermit . There's a small technical problem with Vital in that he hasn't submitted a Pieman team yet but it's still open for entries so that's easily fixed.

Working from the cringeworthy example of AFLX here's a suggestion: the above four can become PiemanX team captains (yes, I know I said there wouldn't be any captains) and as soon as they want they can contact other Pieman entrants to draft a team together. They only need to find two other willing entrants to make up their team of three. For instance we could have:
  • Boydshow's Bullies
  • Scraggers
  • Vitalsadistix
  • Kermit's Kroakers
...or perhaps a more inspired name of your own choosing.

To sound out a Pieman entrant you can either tag them in this thread or just PM them directly. You can do all future dealings with them by PM if you like (the more secret and devious the better). Just make sure you notify me here who is in your team.

Naturally it's not limited to just those four. Any three Pieman players can put a new team together.

Round 1 doesn't count. However if we have a viable field (four or more teams) by Round 2 then that's when we'll start keeping a PiemanX ladder.

Oh, and if it helps make up a PiemanX team, I'm happy to get drafted. (If anybody will have me :$)

If anyone else is happy to get drafted, just post here and someone will pick you up (so to speak).

It'll make it easier to work out who wants to be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PiemanX teams nominated so far:

ScragCity's Savants

ScragCity

dogwatch

TempletonTheRat

Grassman's Goats BB

boydshow

grassman75

?

?

Vital Dread

?

?

Kermit's Kroakers

Kermit

Wocka

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Last edited:
Well finally the offers are rolling in! As self proclaimed GOAT of Pieman, I've been waiting for someone to offer me a contract....well actually I just forgot, spending too much time trading Brayshaw in and out of SuperCoach for Sloane...I'm not GOAT of SuperCoach....

If we are still allowed to join up I'm happy to.

I'll have a a look today at the rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back