Review Pies 112-71 Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the lower end guys, Aish looked like he was short of a gallop but will be better for it. Clearly the coaching staff has faith in what he can offer. Brown was quiet after a stellar performance last week but we'll get that from a youngish player who is still adjusting to the rigours of senior footy. Despite what many will say, Wills' output was reasonable in my eyes (15 disposals, 11 CP, 7 tackles and 5 clearances).

Aish was an absolute non-contributer today like he usually is. Why were fans begging for him to come back in for the last 3-4 weeks? Even after Langdon went down Aish still didn't get into the game.

Brown didn't get huge numbers but he was everywhere in the contest chasing, pressuring and tackling. Got us out of trouble with some beautiful quick handpasses to advantage. Easily one of our top 10 players today.

'Many' people said Wills output wasn't reasonable? What a joke. He was very good today. In everything. There were many worse players today. Very happy for him he got another go this week after being given a task last week no other player in the comp could've done - Stopped Cripps. How many times has Cripps been tagged out of games? Exactly. Be fair.

Brown and Wills in the guts has really balanced out our midfield nicely and I hope to see this continue for the next few weeks.

Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, JT & Hoss up until the last qtr, Howe and Phillips all had worse games than Wills. Langdon was an absolute liability today and we instantly improved once he went down injured.

Reid looks in the best shape he's been in in a long time. Delivered huge today. Same with Checkers. They were both 2 of our most important players today.

Sidey BOG. Excellent performance. Kept us in it in the first half.

Treloar's disposal is shocking. Did some nice things but his butchering of the ball lets him down week in week out.

Pendles was good. A bit quiet, but as usual was involved in some great passages of play and always gets us out of a few tight jams.

Roughead had one of his better games today. He's in much better form than Howe the last few weeks.

Grundy was awesome again. Really enjoyed his battle with young Marshall today who might just be the next Grundy.

Phillips is just a poor man's Gaff. Not a smart footballer and panics like no other.

Crisp had a pretty poor game, mostly in the first half. Caught a few times and made some poor panicked decisions.

Stepho is getting back to his best now that he's not having to cover for WHE. Such a dangerous forward. He's always got 2 defenders going to him which says how much opposition teams rate him.

Top 5: Sidebottom, Grundy, Reid, Mihocek, Stephens (Honorable mention to Brown and Wills who were good all day and involved in everything and Beams who showed some glimpses of the gun I watched play at Brisbane last year)

Bottom 5: Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, Phillips and Langdon (Honorable mention to JT and Hoss who were quiet most of the day but to their credit did some very nice things in the 2nd half at some crucial times. Maynard was pretty ordinary as well.)

Last edited:

At times I thought we looked slow
Dave StKilda - like Carlton the week before - were coming out from a dark place with intense pressure from both within the club and from the idiot media to perform.

They both threw the kitchen sink at us and refused to relent, quite admirable really for 'also rans'.

Under those conditions any team will look slow, they ran in waves mate with manic attack mentality.

Eventually it wore them out and the best team was left standing.

Dave StKilda - like Carlton the week before - were coming out from a dark place with intense pressure from both within the club and from the idiot media to perform.

They both threw the kitchen sink at us and refused to relent, quite admirable really for 'also rans'.

Under those conditions any team will look slow, they ran in waves mate with manic attack mentality.

Eventually it wore them out and the best team was left standing.
In so many ways this is an integral post.

Sides use games against Collingwood (being Collingwood and being a top,side) as a mini style final.
They throw everything into it.

And we absorb it, we win. That’s the key, we win.

This group is gaining all the experience and chemistry it needs for the big assault down the track.

Aish was an absolute non-contributer today like he usually is. Why were fans begging for him to come back in for the last 3-4 weeks? Even after Langdon went down Aish still didn't get into the game.

Brown didn't get huge numbers but he was everywhere in the contest chasing, pressuring and tackling. Got us out of trouble with some beautiful quick handpasses to advantage. Easily one of our top 10 players today.

'Many' people said Wills output wasn't reasonable? What a joke. He was very good today. In everything. There were many worse players today. Very happy for him he got another go this week after being given a task last week no other player in the comp could've done - Stopped Cripps. How many times has Cripps been tagged out of games? Exactly. Be fair.

Brown and Wills in the guts has really balanced out our midfield nicely and I hope to see this continue for the next few weeks.

Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, JT & Hoss up until the last qtr, Howe and Phillips all had worse games than Wills. Langdon was an absolute liability today and we instantly improved once he went down injured.

Reid looks in the best shape he's been in in a long time. Delivered huge today. Same with Checkers. They were both 2 of our most important players today.

Treloar's disposal is shocking. Did some nice things but his butchering of the ball lets him down week in week out.

Pendles was good. A bit quiet, but as usual was involved in some great passages of play and always gets us out of a few tight jams.

Roughead had one of his better games today. He's in much better form than Howe the last few weeks.

Grundy was awesome again. Really enjoyed his battle with young Marshall today who might just be the next Grundy.

Phillips is just a poor man's Gaff. Not a smart footballer and panics like no other.

Crisp had a pretty poor game, mostly in the first half. Caught a few times and made some poor panicked decisions.

Stepho is getting back to his best now that he's not having to cover for WHE. Such a dangerous forward. He's always got 2 defenders going to him which says how much opposition teams rate him.

Top 5: Sidebottom, Grundy, Reid, Mihocek, Stephens (Honorable mention to Brown and Wills who were good all day and involved in everything and Beams who showed some glimpses of the gun I watched play at Brisbane last year)

Bottom 4: Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, Phillips and Langdon (Honorable mention to JT and Hoss who were quiet most of the day but to their credit did some very nice things in the 2nd half at some crucial times. Maynard was pretty ordinary as well.)
There are 5 in the bottom 4 . Varcoe was his usual hard running , pressuring, low disposal game but bobbed up a few times to score. I wouldn't put him as worst.

There are 5 in the bottom 4 . Varcoe was his usual hard running , pressuring, low disposal game but bobbed up a few times to score. I wouldn't put him as worst.

Aish could be BOG and still fans say he super dud:rolleyes:

That's gonna be a headache for selection. Both seem to be very streaky players with the potential to either kick 3 with 5+ marks, or have 2 disposals for the match and not feature. Reid has more athleticism around the loose ball, Cox draws more attention from the defense (and height, duh). The trick would be making sure the one who is in form on the day is the one who is in the side. For now I agree that Cox should go to the VFL, if nothing else to get back into match condition, but going forward this will be a continuing discussion possibly into September. They are effectively the same player on the stat sheet.

What are you smoking?

Reid more athletic than Cox? FMD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom 4: Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, Phillips and Langdon (Honorable mention to JT and Hoss who were quiet most of the day but to their credit did some very nice things in the 2nd half at some crucial times. Maynard was pretty ordinary as well.)

Wills was enormous in the last quarter.

A powerful final quarter performance but boy we've walked a dangerous tightrope these last 2 weeks and St Kilda will be kicking themselves they didn't put us to the sword on the scoreboard in that 2nd quarter when they dominated us.

Like last week and across the first 3 quarters again today St Kilda made us look vulnerable on transition with their leg speed and it's an area that still worries me moving forward.

Great to get the 4pts with some of our very best missing but still much work to do.

Entertaining game and a solid win.

Cant be unhappy with that.

Pleased to see

Reid stepping up like he did two weeks ago v Port. Hes now a best 22 selection and creates good selection headaches.
WHE showing improved form . Was huge late in the third quarter
Grundy. Hes a pretty good player.
Sidebottom. That was an AA 2018 type performance
Wills. A massive step up from last week. Probably not enough to retain selection but a good game regardless
Mihocek. The best backup fullback we have ever recruited from the VFL.
I've probably forgotten a few but it was a solid team effort

Only downside was Langdons injury, hopefully its not serious and Moore is straight back in.

Oh and kudos to Jono Marsh.

Aish could be BOG and still fans say he super dud:rolleyes:

I want to like Aish and try hard to find any and all positives each week with him but I'm just not seeing it.

This board used to be very anti-Aish even when he came on in the back half of 2017 and was performing consistently. Unfortunately he couldn't follow that up last year even though he had a handful of good games.

This year before he was injured he showed nothing.

He's not adding anything to our side yet this board now seems to think he's earned a permanent spot in our best 22.

This year I'm just amazed at what it takes for young Callum Brown to be acknowledged (instead of people pointing to stats which never tell the whole story) and that guys like Josh Thomas and Aish escape scrutiny week in week out. And goddamn were people harsh on Wills last week. First game back in such a long time and is expected to mind Cripps who NEVER gets tagged out of games. Wills did actually keep him quiet in the first qtr and sat out a lot of the rest of the game injured. He performed very well today yet everyone wants him dropped next week.

This board is just funny in how some guys escape scrutiny all the time and some can never do anything right no matter what.

When Aish plays a good game this year I promise I'll be the first to acknowledge it. I want him to do well and to find proper role in the side. But if he can't then I wanna see what a player like Quaynor can add to our side. Aish has nothing that the rest of our defenders don't already offer. Quaynor has something different.

Why isn't Treloar getting talked up for the Brownlow. Gets 30+ every week and it's a midfielder award.

His ball use to commonly very ordinary.

I thought this was a fantastic win. I know they had a few out as well, but De Goey, Elliott, Moore, Adams & Cox is a big chunk of top end talent to have missing.

Like Carlton last week, they threw everything at us, and probably should have been ahead at half time.

But that last quarter was incredible. 12 scoring shots to 1, and some really impressive center clearance work (at last) - just shows how important that is.

Grundy was huge again, and Sidey back to 2018 form. Reid has provided a headache for the selectors with that performance. Can we play all 3 at the same time. I think the SCG might be a bit small for that experiment.

Looks like Langdon will be out for a few, and Trav may get a week off. Hopefully De Goey & Moore will be back. Be really interesting to see what happens if Cox is available, and what if Sier, Quaynor & Wells have good games tomorrow? Its a good position to be in.

We really should get to the bye with 3 more wins - 10-2 at the bye, I'll take that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back