Review Pies 112-71 Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see Aish as being a potential medalist but he has certainly suffered through being way down the pecking order for his natural position and injuries haven't helped at all.

Aish was an absolute non-contributer today like he usually is. Why were fans begging for him to come back in for the last 3-4 weeks? Even after Langdon went down Aish still didn't get into the game.

Brown didn't get huge numbers but he was everywhere in the contest chasing, pressuring and tackling. Got us out of trouble with some beautiful quick handpasses to advantage. Easily one of our top 10 players today.

'Many' people said Wills output wasn't reasonable? What a joke. He was very good today. In everything. There were many worse players today. Very happy for him he got another go this week after being given a task last week no other player in the comp could've done - Stopped Cripps. How many times has Cripps been tagged out of games? Exactly. Be fair.

Brown and Wills in the guts has really balanced out our midfield nicely and I hope to see this continue for the next few weeks.

Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, JT & Hoss up until the last qtr, Howe and Phillips all had worse games than Wills. Langdon was an absolute liability today and we instantly improved once he went down injured.

Reid looks in the best shape he's been in in a long time. Delivered huge today. Same with Checkers. They were both 2 of our most important players today.

Sidey BOG. Excellent performance. Kept us in it in the first half.

Treloar's disposal is shocking. Did some nice things but his butchering of the ball lets him down week in week out.

Pendles was good. A bit quiet, but as usual was involved in some great passages of play and always gets us out of a few tight jams.

Roughead had one of his better games today. He's in much better form than Howe the last few weeks.

Grundy was awesome again. Really enjoyed his battle with young Marshall today who might just be the next Grundy.

Phillips is just a poor man's Gaff. Not a smart footballer and panics like no other.

Crisp had a pretty poor game, mostly in the first half. Caught a few times and made some poor panicked decisions.

Stepho is getting back to his best now that he's not having to cover for WHE. Such a dangerous forward. He's always got 2 defenders going to him which says how much opposition teams rate him.

Top 5: Sidebottom, Grundy, Reid, Mihocek, Stephens (Honorable mention to Brown and Wills who were good all day and involved in everything and Beams who showed some glimpses of the gun I watched play at Brisbane last year)

Bottom 5: Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, Phillips and Langdon (Honorable mention to JT and Hoss who were quiet most of the day but to their credit did some very nice things in the 2nd half at some crucial times. Maynard was pretty ordinary as well.)
wow by your standards i'm surprised that we aren't last on the ladder ?

Geez, the class showed.
Aish was an absolute non-contributer today like he usually is. Why were fans begging for him to come back in for the last 3-4 weeks? Even after Langdon went down Aish still didn't get into the game.

Brown didn't get huge numbers but he was everywhere in the contest chasing, pressuring and tackling. Got us out of trouble with some beautiful quick handpasses to advantage. Easily one of our top 10 players today.

'Many' people said Wills output wasn't reasonable? What a joke. He was very good today. In everything. There were many worse players today. Very happy for him he got another go this week after being given a task last week no other player in the comp could've done - Stopped Cripps. How many times has Cripps been tagged out of games? Exactly. Be fair.

Brown and Wills in the guts has really balanced out our midfield nicely and I hope to see this continue for the next few weeks.

Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, JT & Hoss up until the last qtr, Howe and Phillips all had worse games than Wills. Langdon was an absolute liability today and we instantly improved once he went down injured.

Reid looks in the best shape he's been in in a long time. Delivered huge today. Same with Checkers. They were both 2 of our most important players today.

Sidey BOG. Excellent performance. Kept us in it in the first half.

Treloar's disposal is shocking. Did some nice things but his butchering of the ball lets him down week in week out.

Pendles was good. A bit quiet, but as usual was involved in some great passages of play and always gets us out of a few tight jams.

Roughead had one of his better games today. He's in much better form than Howe the last few weeks.

Grundy was awesome again. Really enjoyed his battle with young Marshall today who might just be the next Grundy.

Phillips is just a poor man's Gaff. Not a smart footballer and panics like no other.

Crisp had a pretty poor game, mostly in the first half. Caught a few times and made some poor panicked decisions.

Stepho is getting back to his best now that he's not having to cover for WHE. Such a dangerous forward. He's always got 2 defenders going to him which says how much opposition teams rate him.

Top 5: Sidebottom, Grundy, Reid, Mihocek, Stephens (Honorable mention to Brown and Wills who were good all day and involved in everything and Beams who showed some glimpses of the gun I watched play at Brisbane last year)

Bottom 5: Varcoe, Greenwood, Aish, Phillips and Langdon (Honorable mention to JT and Hoss who were quiet most of the day but to their credit did some very nice things in the 2nd half at some crucial times. Maynard was pretty ordinary as well.)

Aish a non-contributor But Brown not in bottom 5? Come on.

Geez, the class showed.
I want to like Aish and try hard to find any and all positives each week with him but I'm just not seeing it.

This board used to be very anti-Aish even when he came on in the back half of 2017 and was performing consistently. Unfortunately he couldn't follow that up last year even though he had a handful of good games.

This year before he was injured he showed nothing.

He's not adding anything to our side yet this board now seems to think he's earned a permanent spot in our best 22.

This year I'm just amazed at what it takes for young Callum Brown to be acknowledged (instead of people pointing to stats which never tell the whole story) and that guys like Josh Thomas and Aish escape scrutiny week in week out. And goddamn were people harsh on Wills last week. First game back in such a long time and is expected to mind Cripps who NEVER gets tagged out of games. Wills did actually keep him quiet in the first qtr and sat out a lot of the rest of the game injured. He performed very well today yet everyone wants him dropped next week.

This board is just funny in how some guys escape scrutiny all the time and some can never do anything right no matter what.

When Aish plays a good game this year I promise I'll be the first to acknowledge it. I want him to do well and to find proper role in the side. But if he can't then I wanna see what a player like Quaynor can add to our side. Aish has nothing that the rest of our defenders don't already offer. Quaynor has something different.

Re Brown, it’s just that the stats do tell the story today.

Yeah, that single possession was a good one.

Was mighty in and around the clearances with his tackling, harassment, and willingness to take tackle heat.

Was mighty in and around the clearances with his tackling, harassment, and willingness to take tackle heat.
Funny, Varcoe gets lambasted on this forum for low possessions but high pressure and tackling, but Wills is mighty...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, the class showed.

Aish a non-contributor But Brown not in bottom 5? Come on.

I thought Aish and Brown were fine. Aish probably only behind Roughy as our best defender across 4 quarters today. Brown was very clean and creative with his ball use and a game high 33PA's.

Funny, Varcoe gets lambasted on this forum for low possessions but high pressure and tackling, but Wills is mighty...

I've never had a problem with Varcoe. Brown (33PA's), Varcoe and Wills (24 apiece) all contributed.

The guy standing next to me at the G was stressing big-time. Told him the boys will stand when it matters. For me, this game was never in doubt because:

a. This team knows how to win, even when they made us look slow I knew the boys would bounce back. This group of young men has gelled.
b. I doubted St Kilda's ability to apply that pressure for 4 quarters.

and most importantly...

c. We're farkin awesome.

I wish I was a mod jathanas so I could get as many likes as you......

But I agree with all of it. I never wavered. It was never going to be easy, and was a matter of taking out opportunities. Reid did that this week. More games in the old man, and he is suddenly playing like a young rooster!!!

I love these blokes on edge. My Uncle Baz was especially this way. He would constantly lose his mind, say shite like "aaawww * we are going to lose!" You would tell the poor b@stard, "don't worry baz, it'll be fine!" But he never listened. Then we win, they absolutely wet themselves, and you enjoy bringing them over to the good side of life. You can see their eyes light up like a Christmas tree.

I got doxxed here today too, and nearly lost my job. I'd love to say exclude the trolls, but it'll never happen.

I've never had a problem with Varcoe. Brown (33PA's), Varcoe and Wills (24 apiece) all contributed.
Yeah I wasn’t referring to you specifically. There was a poster earlier though who was singing Wills’ praises while saying Varcoe wasn’t good at all, yet they had the same amount of pressure acts, Varcoe had 1 less touch, but 2 goals. Go figure...

Brown had 9 possession and 2 tackles. He was pretty much invisible.

The Brown and Varcoe types do all the stuff that doesn't appear on the stat sheets allowing all those in our team who seem allergic to it to run up the numbers. I certainly don't expect every player to acheive specified numbers, it's a team sport.

Sensational game from Ben Reid today - in his first game this year he just didn't kick straight but he was very dangerous I thought.
He then had a quiet one, and today had an absolute corker. What a great problem to have.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It was great to see Reid in my Didaka votes today - hopefully he can do that more than one game at a time.

Great last quarter but I saw plenty of things in the first 3 that I would call lazy/weak and that's not something I associate with our team. We do seem to have a knack of not letting sides run away from us even when they're well on top , so that's a good sign.

As someone else said - when ( or if) we get a few back and put 4 quarters together we will be extremely hard to beat. Until then Geelong deserves their spot on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back