Review Pies 112-71 Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Expecting Buddy and Kennedy back in vs us. See who we can get back in too. Be a real scrap of a game next week.

Played a brilliant patch of football around mostly really poor, stagnant, robotic play.

You take 7 and 2, good sides blow teams away when required etc. But I have concerns looking at the bigger picture right now.

I'm not sure Greenwood, Aish, Wills, Brown and Reid will cut it further down the track, but we got it away with it and Reid had a good one today.

We also got destroyed around the ball for 3 quarters, which we will get punished for against the better teams.

I thought Sidebottoms second half was terrific. The first great game he has played this year.

Stephens is absolutely terrifying for the opposition one on one. While you'd love DeGoey and Elliot there, giving Stephenson some more space to work in can work well for us if we move it quick enough.

I also thought Beams took a step forward as the game progressed, looking more asued with the ball and not being as exposed for legspeed.

I wish I was a mod jathanas so I could get as many likes as you......

But I agree with all of it. I never wavered. It was never going to be easy, and was a matter of taking out opportunities. Reid did that this week. More games in the old man, and he is suddenly playing like a young rooster!!!

I love these blokes on edge. My Uncle Baz was especially this way. He would constantly lose his mind, say shite like "aaawww * we are going to lose!" You would tell the poor b@stard, "don't worry baz, it'll be fine!" But he never listened. Then we win, they absolutely wet themselves, and you enjoy bringing them over to the good side of life. You can see their eyes light up like a Christmas tree.

I got doxxed here today too, and nearly lost my job. I'd love to say exclude the trolls, but it'll never happen.

Only clicked "Like" because there's no "Love".

I wish I was a mod jathanas so I could get as many likes as you......

But I agree with all of it. I never wavered. It was never going to be easy, and was a matter of taking out opportunities. Reid did that this week. More games in the old man, and he is suddenly playing like a young rooster!!!

I love these blokes on edge. My Uncle Baz was especially this way. He would constantly lose his mind, say shite like "aaawww * we are going to lose!" You would tell the poor b@stard, "don't worry baz, it'll be fine!" But he never listened. Then we win, they absolutely wet themselves, and you enjoy bringing them over to the good side of life. You can see their eyes light up like a Christmas tree.

I got doxxed here today too, and nearly lost my job. I'd love to say exclude the trolls, but it'll never happen.
Is it just me, or does this post read like a non-Greek Gimp effort?

Love it re

We run out games better than our opposition, or at least for the last two weeks. We tend to coast along in second gear for a large part of the game, we have the star power and big game players to kick up a notch when needed.

Set the tone early, then passive, Come home strong. Perhaps it’s a way to limit soft tissue injuries.

Reid was huge today, again all the closet Carlton supporters on here should ban themselves from posting for a week or so. I have to keep reminding myself that most people on here don’t know much about sport.

While I can understand us being acknowledged as one of the better teams in the competition I kind of feel Hudson and Russell have purposely started to sell a narrative of us being the team to beat for the premiership these last two weeks and it's been done in a disingenuous manner.

Why would they do this?

Well the old adage of the bigger they are the harder they fall comes to mind and they can sell that during the season and celebrate any defeat of ours as one for the underdogs. Makes great television for all the Collingwood haters which includes both of them.

The end game is the hope that if they repeat it enough that people will start to believe this is actually the internal view of the club and perpetrate the belief that we as a supporter group are full of hubris.

Hudson in particular is the most biased piece of s**t when it comes to Collingwood and would love nothing more than to build us up with faint praise only to see us fall. You could hear it in his voice last week just how shattered he was that Carlton didn't cause the upset.

Personally and despite being biased towards Collingwood I would have Geelong ahead of us after 9 rounds as they've been the more consistent team within games while until we actually find a way to beat this current West Coast squad we remain behind them also.

Interesting that both have an infinity for the side currently sitting a game clear on top of the ladder and yet it's us who are supposedly the clear standouts.

Pull the other way.

While I can understand us being acknowledged as one of the better teams in the competition I kind of feel Hudson and Russell have purposely started to sell a narrative of us being the team to beat for the premiership these last two weeks and it's been done in a disingenuous manner.

Why would they do this?

Well the old adage of the bigger they are the harder they fall comes to mind and they can sell that during the season and celebrate any defeat of ours as one for the underdogs. Makes great television for all the Collingwood haters which includes both of them.

The end game is the hope that if they repeat it enough that people will start to believe this is actually the internal view of the club and perpetrate the belief that we as a supporter group are full of hubris.

Hudson in particular is the most biased piece of s**t when it comes to Collingwood and would love nothing more than to build us up with faint praise only to see us fall. You could hear it in his voice last week just how shattered he was that Carlton didn't cause the upset.

Personally and despite being biased towards Collingwood I would have Geelong ahead of us after 9 rounds as they've been the more consistent team within games while until we actually find a way to beat this current West Coast squad we remain behind them also.

Interesting that both have an infinity for the side currently sitting a game clear on top of the ladder and yet it's us who are supposedly the clear standouts.

Pull the other way.
Geelong and WC look very solid with GWS and Richmond a level below but could easily peak at the right time, it's wide open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would they do this?

Pull the other way.

Absolutely spot on. Hudson is a little s**t eater never liked him

Real struggle for three quarters before whooshka...great to see us put the foot down but we are just going at the moment

Confident after the bye we can really start building

Last season opened my eyes enough to see that winning is the key and winning big is great but it can have a cost - both to the team and the young men who will be forced to live with the long term effects of the injuries they incur during their careers.

Best way of increasing injuries is to run players into the ground with exhaustion in search of percentage.

A balanced quest of winning by enough and giving the playing list ACHIEVABLE long term benchmarks should ensure a healthy balanced list.
I think that you have a strange idea about what happens on the field. It is a mass of small events that accumulate into the total game. Players deal with the small events one at a time. I.e they get the ball and then they look to do something with it. Percentage chasing doesn't happen in those circumstances. Team tactics have an influence, particularly in these defensive days with careful control by coaches, but injuries and levels of exhaustion can't be managed as you suggest they can.
Players run themselves into the ground every week, because anything less is enough for an opponent to get on top. It is at the "local" level of competing with an opponent that everything is decided.

Obviously the dickhead Richmond trolls are right.

We only won because of umpiring.
Their obsession has been predicable for a longtime now. Whinging for an odd game especially one which involves their club may be understandable, but every damn game we play regardless of the opposition is more than just clingy. Then you have the dick waving "we're the biggest club in the land" tripe.

At times I thought we looked slow
I thought this too. It may not be real though. Players who get the ball at full pace look quicker than the guys who have to get going before they can start to make ground.
There were times when Howe seemed to move like he was running in treacle, and he is not slow. Likewise, Maynard, another quick player, had moments af seeming to struggle. Several Saints players burst through at different times and seemed to leave our guys for dead, but in the end, they didn't get away often enough to set the game up.
The players with exceptional speed cause more trouble defensively, which is not so obvious or flashy. Stephenson's pace when defending up forward is probably as important as his offensive abilities. With all that said, I had the same impression as you.

We have very good depth, not sure too many other clubs could go on winning with their big name stars out

Stevo will rip this competition apart shortly
Mihocek what a pick up
Mids, Grundy, Treloar, Sidebottom, Pendles, Beams are the best combo going around

On to Sydney
The best teams do, but both last year and this we seem to be able to cover far more and far bigger outs than anyone would believe possible. The one we haven't had to face, and I don't think we could manage it, is the loss of Grundy. His contribution is enormous every week, and is the greatest point of difference between our team and the rest. Cox could replace him as a ruck man but he doesn't have the speed, skill and endurance that Grundy now brings out every week.
I'm not sure that Sidebottom can be such an influence when he is watched more closely than he was in this game. I do believe that we need Seir or his like as part of the midfield.

The best teams do, but both last year and this we seem to be able to cover far more and far bigger outs than anyone would believe possible. The one we haven't had to face, and I don't think we could manage it, is the loss of Grundy. His contribution is enormous every week, and is the greatest point of difference between our team and the rest. Cox could replace him as a ruck man but he doesn't have the speed, skill and endurance that Grundy now brings out every week.
I'm not sure that Sidebottom can be such an influence when he is watched more closely than he was in this game. I do believe that we need Seir or his like as part of the midfield.
We’ve played without Grundy before. Cox went in to the ruck for 2 weeks at the end of 2017 and performed very well against good opponents. Absolutely dominated Geelong and kicked 2 goals floating forward iirc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back