Review Pies 112-71 Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It perplexes me how people say they see absolutely nothing in Aish. I have to question whether you watch the games that carefully??
He is excellent in the contest. Rarely gets beaten. In fact his Oppoonent is often invisible. His spoils are a thing of beauty, go long & far, and clear the danger.

Leaves a bit to be desired with his disposal, but think that will come with confidence and when he feels comfortable

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that you have a strange idea about what happens on the field. It is a mass of small events that accumulate into the total game. Players deal with the small events one at a time. I.e they get the ball and then they look to do something with it. Percentage chasing doesn't happen in those circumstances. Team tactics have an influence, particularly in these defensive days with careful control by coaches, but injuries and levels of exhaustion can't be managed as you suggest they can.
Players run themselves into the ground every week, because anything less is enough for an opponent to get on top. It is at the "local" level of competing with an opponent that everything is decided.
I think you have the same - let it go and go about our business.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why isn't Treloar getting talked up for the Brownlow. Gets 30+ every week and it's a midfielder award.
His odds are starting to significantly shorten on the brownlow market. Punters at least think he's got a nice sneaky chance.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Cox, DeGoo, Adams, Sier, Moore and Billy - each and every one supposedly critical to our 2019 chances out with Checkers copping a couple of head knocks and Langers out for the last half almost.

So a lot of the cream missing from the mix but we still rise to the occasion, some of you on here will never acknowledge the power and relentlessness of this group but I guarantee you all the other senior coaches and 90% of the media are very much aware of it.

It is partly the playing list but mostly the system that is the key to this team - lose a player, simples, just plug another of the multi positional trained soldiers in and continue on.

We proved it last year and are doing so again this year but even better yet some of you will not relent.

If I hear one more time about how much this team is overrated, or this midfield is overrated I'm going to lose it big time.

Those of you who keep trotting out that absolute and utter trash have no idea.
Sier is not critical. I'm really tired of this board talking up this mediocre midfield like he's the 2nd coming of Dane Swan, if buckley didnt even pick him for JLT games then all he is at the moment is depth.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
While I can understand us being acknowledged as one of the better teams in the competition I kind of feel Hudson and Russell have purposely started to sell a narrative of us being the team to beat for the premiership these last two weeks and it's been done in a disingenuous manner.

Why would they do this?

Well the old adage of the bigger they are the harder they fall comes to mind and they can sell that during the season and celebrate any defeat of ours as one for the underdogs. Makes great television for all the Collingwood haters which includes both of them.

The end game is the hope that if they repeat it enough that people will start to believe this is actually the internal view of the club and perpetrate the belief that we as a supporter group are full of hubris.

Hudson in particular is the most biased piece of s**t when it comes to Collingwood and would love nothing more than to build us up with faint praise only to see us fall. You could hear it in his voice last week just how shattered he was that Carlton didn't cause the upset.

Personally and despite being biased towards Collingwood I would have Geelong ahead of us after 9 rounds as they've been the more consistent team within games while until we actually find a way to beat this current West Coast squad we remain behind them also.

Interesting that both have an infinity for the side currently sitting a game clear on top of the ladder and yet it's us who are supposedly the clear standouts.

Pull the other way.

You know one bloke worse than them, is Piggy, right? Wasn't picked up by big clubs like his beloved Carlton or Collingwood in the early 80s, and still holds a grudge. He groaned loudly in the box last week when we kicked the sealer, and against Fremantle in Perth last year, literally vocalised a sigh of relief, when Stevo missed a goal just on 3QT. Huddo has always been eccentric, and Dwayne is past it. Both affiliated with Geelong. Figures.

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sier is not critical. I'm really tired of this board talking up this mediocre midfield like he's the 2nd coming of Dane Swan, if buckley didnt even pick him for JLT games then all he is at the moment is depth.
Well let's be fair we were a much better side with him in it anybody could see it, and it's a little hard to be selected when you've been injured for a significant period.

dmoore30

All Australian
Dec 3, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Well let's be fair we were a much better side with him in it anybody could see it, and it's a little hard to be selected when you've been injured for a significant period.
You do realise he was not injured for a large portion of the start of the season. He hasnt trained or played well in the VFL injuries aside, I'm shocked at how much everyone overrates someone off the back of a handful of good games.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
You do realise he was not injured for a large portion of the start of the season. He hasnt trained or played well in the VFL injuries aside, I'm shocked at how much everyone overrates someone off the back of a handful of good games.
I think posters rate him on his immense potential

Right now we don't miss him because we have such great depth
Would he make us better now? Debatable
Will he make us better in the future? Absolutely he will

golazo

Premium Gold
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
Almost wanted to throw something through the tv everytime the commentators were saying how brave "young" Marshall is by taking it up to an experienced stalwart like Grundy.

Give us a break. He was in the draft class after Grundy and is just over 1 year younger!

Even someone in here said he's the next Grundy. Please! Grundy's the next Grundy..the guy's still developing

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Everyone to their own opinions dm - it's what a forum is all about - don't like it? Just ignore the poster.

It perplexes me how people say they see absolutely nothing in Aish. I have to question whether you watch the games that carefully??
He is excellent in the contest. Rarely gets beaten. In fact his Oppoonent is often invisible. His spoils are a thing of beauty, go long & far, and clear the danger.

Leaves a bit to be desired with his disposal, but think that will come with confidence and when he feels comfortable
Your name perplexes me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May come across as bias haha..
Aish is by no means perfect or a star. Quite underwhelming actually.

But to say he brings absolute nothing is deadset wrong
I'm a known Aish-disliker, but I enjoyed his game yesterday.
My main issue with his playing was his high rate of turnovers and just lack of awareness around contests, though it appears that he's left that issue behind him after coming back from that 3-week concussion.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a known Aish-disliker, but I enjoyed his game yesterday.
My main issue with his playing was his high rate of turnovers and just lack of awareness around contests, though it appears that he's left that issue behind him after coming back from that 3-week concussion.
Yep he 100% has deficiencies in his game that need to improve.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
We should just say to Grundy:

"We want to sign you to a 10 year contract, here's a cheque with your name on it, you just fill in the amount, it's all good"
I think what Geelong and Hawthorn have proved no play is irreplaceable. Don’t get me wrong he is an absolute must keep, but not at any price.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it possible to play both Reid and Cox together but Cox plays forward and Reid plays down back?
Who does Reid replace down back? Maybe Moore if he is injured (let's hope not). He is probably a better forward than defender these days. I'll leave this one to the selectors. It's a good position to be in.

Very good game from Reid who’s obviously hit great form. You have to give a hand to Casboult for his game last week for quelling him.

The Saints have a very good defensive system but at the end of the day they lack some real class players and their style exhausted them.

Swooper18

All Australian
Dec 22, 2008
South Yarra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
After a tight tussle for three quarters, Collingwood put the foot on the accelerator in the final term to prevail by 41 points against St.Kilda. It was a game that threatened to go down to the wire for the majority of the day, with the Saints netting more forward entries and scoring shots at Three Quarter Time without converting, while the Magpies converted regularly and promptly to stay in the contest, which then allowed them to take control with a dominant final quarter based on control at stoppages and forward-half territory, which ultimately enabled the Woods to have more scoring shots to score the goals they conjured to collect the premiership points.

Collingwood won most statistical categories from the game by netting positive differentials for disposals by +70 (406 - 336), +39 for kicks (227 - 188), +31 for handballs (179 - 148) and +17 for marks (96 - 79). Further gains were made from contested possessions by +21 (153 - 132), uncontested possessions by +28 (242 - 214), hit-outs were +29 (53 - 24), clearances were +4 (39 - 35) and stoppage clearances were +8 (26 - 18). The Magpies were also able to take differentials of +4 for Contested Marks (15 - 11), +13 for uncontested marks (81 - 68) and Marks Inside 50 by +5 (15 - 10). St.Kilda's gains came from centre clearances by +4 (17 - 13), tackles by +13 (72 - 59), +17 for Tackles Inside 50 (24 - 7), +5 for Inside 50's (52 - 47) and +1 for intercept possessions (62 - 61).

Adam Treloar (38 disposals @ 60%, 283 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 24 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 9 score involvements, 7 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50's) had a prolific game with his clearance work and score involvements from the stoppages. Dayne Beams (30 disposals @ 73%, 388 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 15 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 11 score involvements, 7 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50's & 3 Rebound 50's) made an immediate impact upon his return without kicking any goals. Steele Sidebottom (29 disposals @ 79%, 451 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 21 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 13 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 11 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50's & 2 goals) had his most damaging game of the season. Scott Pendlebury (27 disposals @ 70%, 430 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 10 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) had a vintage forward-half game from the midfield, where almost all of his forward entries resulting in a score. Chris Mayne (25 disposals @ 84%, 133 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Rebound 50's) had a solid game on the wing with steady ball use, and Brodie Grundy (24 disposals @ 54%, 242 metres gained, 18 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 8 handballs, 49 hit-outs, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 5 score involvements, 7 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) continued his rich vein of form and demonstrated why he is the best ruckman of the competition.

Jack Crisp (27 disposals @ 82%, 314 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 10 interecept possessions, 14 kicks, 13 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) was the only defender to accumulate more than 20 disposals against the Saints. Crisp's ball use was highly damaging on transition. Levi Greenwood (17 disposals @ 76%, 127 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50's) was crucial in defence with a number of intercept marks being taken in defence. Brayden Maynard (14 disposals @ 86%, 252 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50's) applied plenty of tackling pressure and got the footy moving forward.

Brody Mihocek (14 disposals @ 71%, 280 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 8 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 10 score involvements & 4 goals) stepped up to the plate with plenty of marks and converted goals for the side when the game was on the line. Jaidyn Stephenson (17 disposals @ 71%, 316 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 7 score involvements, 4 Inside 50's & 3 goals) was brilliant throughout the whole game, and mangaged to execute a torpedo from 55 metres out in the last quarter to bring the house down. Ben Reid (16 disposals @ 75%, 236 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 hit-outs, 7 marks, 5 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 10 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 3 goals) played extremely well to find form at the right time for his own benefit. Josh Thomas (13 disposals @ 69%, 196 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50's & 2 goals) chimed in nicely with a couple of timely majors. Travis Varcoe (13 disposals @ 77%, 157 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 7 score involvements & 2 goals) provided forward-half pressure and converted his opportunities. Will Hoskin-Elliott (13 disposals @ 69%, 264 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 2 handballs, 8 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50's & 1 goal) found some marking form along with a classy goal as he looks to get his AFL season in full swing.

Collingwood's next game will be against Sydney on May 24 at the SCG. A perfect opportunity awaits to give the Swans a bloodbath and undermine Sydney's oath to the Bloods culture.

Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who does Reid replace down back? Maybe Moore if he is injured (let's hope not). He is probably a better forward than defender these days. I'll leave this one to the selectors. It's a good position to be in.
Sure is just trying to see if there was a way to fit them both in, could he replace Langdon if he’s out for a while?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back