Review Pies 82 def Dogs 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
A loss that was probably as much of our own making as anything else. Just not potent enough in attack when we had control of the game. So many set shots sprayed far and wide.

For yet another week, it felt like we weren't tall enough yet again at selection.

Our midfield repeatedly ignored Naughton when he was one-out in the goal square. Mystifying stuff, Macrae a repeat offender.

I am not sure why Roarke Smith deserved a game ahead of Toby McLean, just a total head-scratcher that decision.

Nup that''s it I'm done season is a write off the boys are cooked mentally we let teams get 3 goals in front of us and roll over show no fight at all until the last 3 mins of the 4th and then claw a few back. Goal kicking forever a endless issue at this football club but the lack of fight when we go down by a few is new and very unbulldog like

To at least give a positive - games like this at least show players what the side is capable of. With improvement to our forward line, that could easily have been a win over a top 4 side. We're looking far better than sides like Carlton, Gold Coast, Saints, even Sydney or Hawks.

Would be easier recruiting other players when they see performances like that (i.e. dominating yet our forward line shitting the bed)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won 3/4 quarters & lose the match.
The 3 basic set shot misses (Naughton, Suckling, Rmith) that rebounded for 3 Collingwood goals don’t happen, we win the game.

We are not that far away, but we can’t hit the draft. Trade our high picks over the next 2 years for some gun forwards & we will be right up there

Nup that''s it I'm done season is a write off the boys are cooked mentally we let teams get 3 goals in front of us and roll over show no fight at all until the last 3 mins of the 4th and then claw a few back. Goal kicking forever a endless issue at this football club but the lack of fight when we go down by a few is new and very unbulldog like

Club house leader but some big names still to step up to the tee.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lyon is a campaigner but he’s a decent analyst along with Nick Riewoldt. Two good things he pointed out:

- If we had Grundy we win. No doubt but even in lieu of him we need to get a senior ruckman for the short term to take the heat off English, who is improving but not fully there yet to be a first ruck. Either Ryder or Sauce Jacobs just have to be got. No excuses, get Bevo to put his hate of too many big men ego aside and just get one.

- Trying to pull off the perfect play instead of trusting a one on one with our talls. Spot on Garry and that attempted kick to Bont (I think) at the end summed it up perfectly perfectly. Tony Lockett wouldn’t have got a kick with how poorly we used Naughton today.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with Naughts, Schache and preferably English spending more time there with another ruck. We just have no structure in regards to using them.

A new forwards coach with more nous in this regard, is a must.

Hats off to Schache too that said, takes his chances and if we tidy up down there, he could be a real weapon.

Anyone who says our list is **** has absolutely no idea, we won three quarters against a top 4 team and should’ve one. We lost it from the following...

25 shots to 18
59 I50s to 43
Kicked 11 BEHINDS to 3

I’ve been saying it all year, Goal accuracy is our biggest problem and if we tidy it up it will solve so many problems.

Last edited:
Same old s**t different week. 10 goals 13 behinds to 13 goals 4 behinds.

We can’t convert our opportunities and it’s costs us winnable games constantly. I don’t know when someone down at the club is going to wake up to this problem but it’s been the same for many years now. It doesn’t take Einstein to work out where our problems are.

So many set shots wasted and other gilt edged opportunities with simple snaps that should have been goals or should have been passes to team mates in better position. We just butcher the ball. Our kicking efficiency is woeful. That and the dominance of Grundy in the ruck was the difference but if we had kicked better for goal we would have won despite Grundy’s dominance.

Won 3/4 quarters & lose the match.
The 3 basic set shot misses (Naughton, Suckling, Rmith) that rebounded for 3 Collingwood goals don’t happen, we win the game.

We are not that far away, but we can’t hit the draft. Trade our high picks over the next 2 years for some gun forwards & we will be right up there
We don't even need gun forwards. It's amazing how much of a difference just being a natural forward can make. Lloyd is the only one who knows how to time a lead and it's automatically made him our best forward

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back