Mod. Notice Pies board: How can we make it better? (Feedback closes today)

State of the BigFooty Pies board today?

• Kinda like 1990 vintage Collingwood: The place is perfect!

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Kinda like 2009 vintage Collingwood: Ticking over well, on the up, good energy!

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Kinda like 2001 vintage Collingwood: Meh

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Kinda like 2004 vintage Collingwood: Not good, on the way down

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Kinda like 1999 vintage Collingwood: It's an utter, utter shambles

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

takeoutrash

Draftee
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which is your opinion and I respect it but I don't agree.
Yes some posters can be tiresome with their negativity. But maybe that is actually how they think. Maybe they aren't doing it to annoy us but because that is their outlook. I have met and known many people who constantly look at everything glass half empty.
If the poster is not being abusive or offensive what right do we have to tell them not to give their opinion. How can you decide if the person is really a troll or just one of those people who look at things glass half empty.
Besides some of the responses to the poster you are alluding to are very enjoyable to read.

THATSGOLD's first post here years ago was complaining about the negativity..

Then he discovered he could get attention by attacking the club.. you see it's not about opinions, that's where you and the mods get lost, his opinions change to suit and and serve only one purpose, to put the club down.. it's pathetic and it's beneath side by side

In the end he will cause nothing but infighting and conflict.. not for a resolution or solution.. no never that.. just for the sake of putting the club down

Last edited:

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood

Then he discovered he could get attention by impersonating an opposition troll.. it's just pathetic and beneath side by side
You may be right. And if he is trolling then he wants what all trolls want and that is a reaction.
The best way to kill a troll is to not respond.
Easier said than done I know.

takeoutrash

Draftee
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
You may be right. And if he is trolling then he wants what all trolls want and that is a reaction.
The best way to kill a troll is to not respond.
Easier said than done I know.
Everyone responds and the mods come in and clean up the toilet slapping everyone's wrist except the instigators.. it's pointless and will never end

Our own president identified it as 'internet style carping' and won't allow it under the club's roof while he is in charge.. THATSCOLLINGWOOD!

Last edited:
A lot of repetition from people who have Buckley issues and who paste it across every single thread. It's fine to have those concerns but if no new and particular point about Buckley is being made in a thread, it needs to go into the Buckley rant thread.

By way of example, if we lose and someone posts that we never lost those games under Mick or that everything has turned to s**t since 2012, that goes in the anti-Buckley slop-bucket. If someone says on the other hand that Buckley didn't move a player into a better position, that's relevant.

It is extremely tiresome to have every single loss sheeted home to Buckley without a particular explanation as to why he lost X game by his coaching decisions. When that happens the thread is derailed into an interpretive history argument.

At a practical level I'd like to see the mods check IP addresses to see if there are trolls on here getting away with murder. It wouldn't surprise me if some embittered opposition supporter got a new IP address and started trolling the board owing to their own club's shitness. The Finger is well known as a Saint's supporter masquerading as a Melbourne supporter. For posters who are endless and relentless carpers with the same old mantra, they need to be quarantined to a devoted thread unless they provide something new in the analysis of a game.

Bigfooty admin should support any such investigation, despite the fact that the Chief is a Carlton supporter, because it makes the board a massive drain to visit.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

Then he discovered he could get attention by attacking the club.. you see it's not about opinions, that's where you and the mods get lost, his opinions change to suit and and serve only one purpose, to put the club down.. it's pathetic and it's beneath side by side

In the end he will cause nothing but infighting and conflict.. not for a resolution or solution.. no never that.. just for the sake of putting the club down

If Thatsgold was the only person posting negative stuff, you might have a point. I would argue that the "negativity meter" hits about 80 to 90% after a loss. After the brisbane loss it was about 105.56% negative. As for getting a resolution of something on BF, you gotta be kidding. It's more chaotic than the United Nations without the free meals and beer. The best way to encourage positive comments is to agree with those posters and support their view. I must admit that when I came to the forum, I wanted the forum to be more positive and support the club. Then I realised that it didnt really matter if BF supported the club or didnt. I took the view that I would just enjoy expressing an opinion and not really care what others thought. I think it helps to improve your enjoyment of the forum. I recommend it.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
At a practical level I'd like to see the mods check IP addresses to see if there are trolls on here getting away with murder. It wouldn't surprise me if some embittered opposition supporter got a new IP address and started trolling the board owing to their own club's shitness.

FWIW Spicey many people get allocated dynamic IP address ranges by their ISP so it's not really a good gauge of who's who. Their IP address may change from one day to the next just because they've reconnected their modem/broadband/cable.

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but from a navigation and ease of use view, I'd like threads relating to this weeks match could be located in one area ( toward the top of the board). Included would then be the game and player/ review threads. They would them go into a 'game history' thread, much like the Didaka medal and the current weeks is created etc .
I notice also we do not always use a review thread but just continue the game day thread, other board close and commence the review which i find much neater.

The other thing that i would regularly add ( and we often do), and include in the 'current week bundle, is an opposition game thread. This again, is moved the opposition history thread at an agreed and sensible time after the weekend has past.

A fare & balanced treatment for all posters.
Some posters seem to be more equal than others.
Abusive posts & aggressive (bad) language (even if disguised) should not be tolerated.
BF rules governing this are clear.....yet not always policed.

Nb I think the Mods do a fantastic job (past & present). A time consuming & thankless task.
I appreciate their efforts.

FWIW Spicey many people get allocated dynamic IP address ranges by their ISP so it's not really a good gauge of who's who. Their IP address may change from one day to the next just because they've reconnected their modem/broadband/cable.

Very cold war.

I reiterate the point I made earlier here. The season is comprised of games and unless a poster makes specific game-day criticisms of Buckley - they go to the Buckley rant thread. If anyone wants to read and write about the general short-comings of Bucks they know where to go.

1eye

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2007
Aus
AFL Club
Collingwood
1. Stop trolls.... full stop! with firmness- (both external and internal supporters) this stuff can be discussed on the bay. Robust discussion, sure- people stirring the pot- get stuffed.
2. Team Selection should be stickied and locked each round. I really dislike needing to go through pages of stuff to see who has been selected, (maybe i'm not doing it correctly)? or conversely the team can be highlighted at the top of every page in a 'team selection discussion thread'
3. Mearging of threads has been pretty good- i.e FA and trades, Darcy Jesus Christ Moore, etc-

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
1. Stop trolls.... full stop! with firmness- (both external and internal supporters) this stuff can be discussed on the bay. Robust discussion, sure- people stirring the pot- get stuffed.
2. Team Selection should be stickied and locked each round. I really dislike needing to go through pages of stuff to see who has been selected, (maybe i'm not doing it correctly)? or conversely the team can be highlighted at the top of every page in a 'team selection discussion thread'
3. Mearging of threads has been pretty good- i.e FA and trades, Darcy Jesus Christ Moore, etc-

I think that 1eye should be given complete control over who posts in the forum. If he doesn't think they're acceptable then they get banned. 1eye should also be the sole judge of those who are stirring the post. If he says that they should be stuffed then they should get stuffed. I think that should solve all the problems

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that 1eye should be given complete control over who posts in the forum. If he doesn't think they're acceptable then they get banned. 1eye should also be the sole judge of those who are stirring the post. If he says that they should be stuffed then they should get stuffed. I think that should solve all the problems
.....or we could let the Mods do it

1eye

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2007
Aus
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think Markfs is getting the picture of what a robust discussion is, well done!

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have the mods be more vigilant on moving threads. I don't know about other club boards but we always have about 16 threads on the same topic. Maybe even a news thread aswell, I personally don't think we need a new thread every time someone writes a 5 line article on the club.
Within reason some topics get mashed up into conglomerate threads making it hard to follow or just gets completely lost in a 50 page thread... i find it quite annoying and so to do a few others it seems.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Try to stop meltdown threads, they are the worst, have an entire thread dedicated for rants and meltdowns after a loss and ban anyone who cant help themselves and makes one.

Stop threads that are just about 1 article from the HS or the Age or any other news company, have a thread dedicated for articles.

So stop most discussion unless its a FAP thread then its all good?

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree about the repetition of threads, hard to know where to look sometimes. I think megathreads for certain frequently discussed players (on the main board rather than a sub-board) could be looked at also (e.g. currently Luke Ball and BenKen are being actively discussed in at least a couple of threads each)

Just a general observation but the constant repetition of the same points by the same posters across multiple threads has also become more of an issue. I realise this is a difficult thing to moderate but it's a small number of posters most of the time. It means a lot of interesting and well though out posts are being lost in the noise.

Wouldn't happen to be 2 different topics on each player would it?

People tend to make new threads for a different topic so a new discussion takes place if you merge it chances are most wont see the original topic as it gets lost in the merged thread rendering it fooked.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Add a pies background

larrikan

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University of Hawaii Rainbows
I've been here for seven years. I read our forum everyday sometimes checking in a few times to see what is going on.

The fact is this year has been the worst as far as content goes. Last year was poor too.

I rarely post anymore because I got tired of personal attacks and grammar nazis. Some posters will look for a sentence or word in a post to start an attack. I am not talking about differing opinions; everyone is entitled to an opinion on a coach or player. More than in the past, posters are attacking our players on a personal level and judging their football abilities on it. This did not happen in the past as often. Narcissism rules here.

Mods should note we have lost some excellent posters because of personal attacks. This board is very lenient with personal attacks and thread derailments. It is so irritating to follow a thread then get two pages off topic.

The open door policy we have should be moderated a little. Some of our scum opposition lock us out of major threads and ban us instantly for a wrong word in those that aren't.

The recent negativity is ruining this board compared to the past. There is little respect for casual posters, long time readers. Mega posters believe it is their right to feel superior here yet we are all Collingwood supporters.

Mega threads have been allowed to clog the board now. There is too much subject crossover and duplicate posts, making it painful reading. Then when they are consolidated it gets confusing.

Put major threads at the top of the page and leave them there - "Rumours and gossip" "Knightmare's almanac/trade thread" "Post mortem/Rant thread" "players under 180cm!"(ok maybe not). Just find a way to clean the board up and make it easier to navigate.

Oh just on rumour and gossip - it is just that - we don't need pages of justification, facts and evidence, and poster attacks to prove them wrong. Posters with any inside info from a brother of a cousin at the petrol station will stop posting and personally I don't mind the lighthearted stuff.

It seems like certain posters have driven decent ones away. I'll keep reading everyday looking for any information about the club I love but it definitely has gone down hill lately.

jaxter600

Senior List
Jan 11, 2009
Rocklyn
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have certainly noticed a significant change since I first started lurking. In fact I come here less and less and post very rarely for me which is saying something as I was already a rare poster.

I can honestly say I'm over the derailment of most threads into spiteful, capricious my dad is bigger/better than your dad style of baiting that goes on. I am a personal fan of rational considered debate but am quite over the constant "cos I said so" approach that is often used. Provide me with thoughtful well argued facts to back up an argument and I may well change my opinion, but "just cos" has never worked.

The personal attacks on our players has I believe become an almost acceptable form of posting it would seem. How anyone sitting on their derriere's typing over the internet can demean and belittle someone who has the courage, talent and will to play elite sport beggars belief. I wish I was half as good/determined as these our players.

I don't know how it can be fixed though as mods can't be here all the time catering to what I believe is acceptable online behaviour. I just know that previously there was much less personal abuse, or demeaning attitudes and this board was the better for it. We still had robust discussion it was just a little more grown up and a hell of a lot more useful.

That being said have always found our board mods pretty good at what they do, maybe everyone is worn down now that we're not king of the castle anymore.
END RANT

Gotta Agree mate. Don’t want Trolls on here Ruining this Board because of them.

Agree there are posters on here just Stirring Up People and that is all they do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back