Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

And another thing...how good is it going to the footy and expecting to win? Supporting a good side again? Going to games during the dark years of 2014-17, and maintaining the faith - it was hard work.

Even though its round 7, and there's a lot to play out for season 2019, the club is still to be congratulated for getting us back to this position. We absolutely pummeled PA for three quarters last night; we just didnt do enough on the scoreboard to really bury them.

We are playing skillful and exciting footy, with top notch footballers all over the ground. So good to watch.

I'm trying to keep a lid on but we are getting that 'stars everywhere' look about us that all premiership sides have. It's hard to pick a weakness and we have quality all over the park.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Phillips 26 wing
Pendlebury 24 (2w)
Sidebottom 24 (17w, 7i)
Beams 22
Treloar 21
Adams (inj) 13
WHE 13 wing
de Goey 2

Rucks:

Grundy 25
Reid 2
Roughead 2

1st Half - 15

Phillips 13 wing
Pendlebury 12 (2w)
Beams 12
Sidebottom 11 wing
Adams 11
Treloar 10
WHE 4 wing
de Goey 2

Grundy 13
Reid 2

2nd Half - 14

Phillips 13 wing
Sidebottom 13 (7i, 6w)
Pendlebury 12
Treloar 11
WHE 9 wing
Beams 8
Adams 2

Grundy 12
Roughead 2

I know he has a tendency to crap his dacks when he gets hot but I liked Phillips game. He gets to the right spots to give us a chop out and seems to get to the right places, if only he could clean up his disposal a little bit he'd be a star.

It is a game as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between black and white, between science and faith, and it lies between the pit of ones fear and the summit of their knowledge. It is the dimension of imagination. And it was on a cold, dark night that the Port Power thought they had arrived, only to find out that their destination lay in... the Twilight Zone.

1556934759593.png

Last edited:
No-one has mentioned that we kept them to a total of 69 points.

Defence is killing it

That's what I mean, the much vaunted midfield is getting shown up by the backs and forwards... with those names running around in the midfield for us to still have such a good forwardline and backline is unreal.

It is a game as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between black and white, between science and faith, and it lies between the pit of ones fear and the summit of their knowledge. It is the dimension of imagination. And it was on a cold and dark winters night that the Port Power thought they had arrived, only to find out that their destination lay... in the Twilight Zone.

View attachment 667208

Lol, it's like Richmond, they come to town with high hopes and left with their tail between their legs exposed as pretenders.

Reid has had injury battles but he hasn't lost his ability. Reid is AA calibre key position player when at 100% which he is now, Reid at his best is one of the better KP's in the comp and he's getting back to it. Reid has bigger upside for us this season. Cox will probably come back and Mihocek gets dropped.

Mihocek isn't going anywhere.

Lycett has risen to my most hated player after last night. He tagged Grundy. The amount of dirty punches and constant niggled directed to Grundy. Really annoyed me.
Disappointed the boys didn’t stand up for Grundy.
Grundy got the chocolates, but he’ll be an extremely sore boy.

Greenwood was returning the serve to Lycett on the wing in front of me.
He also played a good game last night across the backline I thought.

He is flat out not a good set shot for goal. That's normal for him sadly. It's his one downfall sadly.
He was a dead eye last year. His issue is between the ears right now, genuine yips. Hopefully he can get on top of it, because he was our most reliable set shot 12 months ago alongside WHE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win aside from set shot misses. Put another “form” team in their place.
A shout out to the slightly unsung Crisp and Maynard.

Mihocek isn't going anywhere.
When asked about playing Cox and Reid in the forward line Bucks noted Mihocek’s mobility. Don’t think Mihocek gets dropped for Reid at any stage but suggests they might be open to trying all three at some stage.
Whilst Reidy had a great game, to me he looks nervous as hell when taking set shots inside 50m. Not so much a worry when we are dominating but unless he improves his set shots it could be demoralising in a closer contest. Reminded me of Travis Cloke a bit last night.
I have no such worries with Cox or Mihocek inside 50m.

The possibility of three talls is growing on me. Mihocek is very mobile whilst Reid was moving as freely as he has for five years.

Cox comes in, and DeGoey gets bumped out to play more midfield minutes to cover the loss of Adams.

Or WHE gets bumped and plays on the wing.

I think the club should try and play cox Reid and Mihocek together for a few weeks to see how it works. I certainly didn’t like Reid rucking.

Maybe Moore has stolen Howe's thunder as the man to get up the highest and first to the ball. I'm starting to think Howe is starting to lose some spring, he doesn't take a specky every week these days.

I think Howe is being asked to play a more accountable role which minimizes his opportunity or need to fly for those marks. Starting to play some really good consistent footy.

You’re curious? Nah, I think you have my answer.

Reid was excellent and I’d written him off prematurely. Mea culpa and all that.

But Lynch’s time will come...

I got the ‘he’ll be an emergency’ bit right though.:p

I think Howe is being asked to play a more accountable role which minimizes his opportunity or need to fly for those marks. Starting to play some really good consistent footy.
That’s my take.
I’m watching him during the match and I think I see one word:

Discipline.

I know he has a tendency to crap his dacks when he gets hot but I liked Phillips game. He gets to the right spots to give us a chop out and seems to get to the right places, if only he could clean up his disposal a little bit he'd be a star.

He's been really fumbly the last few weeks which generally isn't something I'd associate with him. It's been putting a lot more pressure on him though and that's not what he needs.

Curiously, Mick Malthouse has asked the same question last night on the ABC radio coverage.

Guess what his answer was?

Doug Hawkins (Yep, I kid you not)

He then prattled on about a bunch of other players from the 20th century.

But when he was pressed about Collingwood, out of Pendlebury and Buckley who do you think he picked?

Dane Swan (Yep, I kid you not)

With Steele Sidebottom being the most consistent over a long term.

He reckons Buckley was a great player but was compromised because of the hamstrings. And Pendlebury has had a good patch of around 4 years.

Cantankerous git

Malthouse is far worse than a cantakerous git, but unfortunately he is going to keep wanking for as long as some media keep giving him airtime to wank.

Wet Toast pissed him off after he did nothing in his second five years there, after not achieving as much in his first five years there than that Wet Toast side should have achieved.

I have nothing good to say about Malthouse.

For me it’s Buckley. He dominated the competition along with Voss and Hird in a stronger way than Pendles ever has. We are splitting champions but Bucks for mine is Colllingwood GOAT.

Pendles and Swanny is the better comparison and I have Swanny just ahead because his best was more dominant and he kicked more goals. On that score Bucks is better than either of them also. Bucks was the most damaging mid of the 3 them Swanny then Pendles

Well spoken.

Simply put, Buckley was able to carry a side over a number of seasons.

Not taking anything away from Pendles; he has outstanding awareness & peripheral vision, excellent decision making, I'm a huge fan. Nathan could run harder, mark better, kick longer, and was always tagged during his heyday. A perfect example of this is to imagine playing Pendles at centre-half-back on Cameron and expecting him to win that contest. Bucks was played on Carey (the dominant CHF of the time) and he wiped the floor with him.

Last edited:
The possibility of three talls is growing on me. Mihocek is very mobile whilst Reid was moving as freely as he has for five years.

Cox comes in, and DeGoey gets bumped out to play more midfield minutes to cover the loss of Adams.

Or WHE gets bumped and plays on the wing.

I think the club should try and play cox Reid and Mihocek together for a few weeks to see how it works. I certainly didn’t like Reid rucking.

Agree with everything.

I agree on Buckley.

But not Swan over Pendlebury. Scott far longer and far more elite and A grade, from all but the beginning of his career to now. Dane was a slow starter. Great player ofcourse and curtailed by that horrible foot injury but for depth of career Scott for me.

I’d also suggest Scott was the better skilled and did more of the mercurial in traffic.
But we are splitting hairs.

Have you got a top 5 or 10 players you’ve seen of our players?
Buckley
Thompson
McKenna
Wayne Richardson
Greening
Carman
Daics
Swan
Pendles
Gavin Brown

No necessarily in order. Bar O’Dea Greening likely would be best ever. Tuddy can go in for Carmen if we count what he did but Carmen could have been anything except for the brain. This is off top of the head so have probably forgotten someone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back