Review Pies defeat Dees (98-57)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win! Good bounce back from last week, we had them at arm's length and never looked too troubled.

Our defence was brilliant, loving what that group is producing currently

I didn’t analyze his game that much (I will when I watch the replay) but Bucks has never used him in that role before that is why it peeked my interest.

Wasn't at the game but got physically mauled by Viney in the 1 midfield start I did notice. I think it's good some other players can occasionally rotate through there though as it spreads the load and improves the flexibility of the team. Not sure a bull like Viney is a good matchup for him though.

Last edited:
I can assure you, the commentators are the last people to ask when it comes to the rules.

Which is really frustrating because the average watcher (I.e someone lesser than your average Collingwood board poster) often listen to the commentators instead of making up their own mind.

Happens every game I watch when there's an umpire decision I actually agree with and the commentators debate it for minutes.

Wasn't at the game but got physically ailed by Viney in the 1 midfield start I did notice. I think it's good some other players can occasionally rotate through there though as it spreads the load and improves the flexibility of the team. Not sure a bull like Viney is a good matchup for him though.

Did Viney play today? I thought he and Nath Jones were still out injured.

Sier

Go read the Tiger’s Trade board
We’d happily take a 2nd for Sier
FMD We’re guilty on this board of silly trade scenarios but at least we’re not Richmond

Edit: + Stephenson is a seagul!
Just on the Tigers, they have the two most lame players in the AFL, Sydney Stack and Jack Higgins. A guy that does fortnite dances before games and another who can’t put together a sentence

Sier

Go read the Tiger’s Trade board
We’d happily take a 2nd for Sier
FMD We’re guilty on this board of silly trade scenarios but at least we’re not Richmond

Edit: + Stephenson is a seagul!

LOL, from a team who's forward strategy is built around seagulls I guess they'd know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not what the commentators were suggesting. Where can we confirm the rule?

Pretty sure that's the rule (Green karate kicks) but the free against Howe was never the intent.

I never quite understand this. We got our fair share of c2c goals and we acknowledge that it more often than not comes from our good play, yet when the opposition do it, it's about our poor play rather than acknowledging their good play.

I think it’s because Melbourne are a much poorer side than Collingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid win.

Played much better football today compared to last week. We recorded a season high 'Pressure Factor' which is a reflection of the intensity we produced today and which mirrored last year, so it was good to see it returned after it was lacking in previous weeks. That was our best tackling effort since the Richmond game in round 2 with us winning 16 more tackles than Melbourne.

Excellent performances by Sidebottom, Treloar, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott. All four stood out to me with them dominating their respective roles.

Melbourne won the clearance count (46-29) and the inside 50 count (58-56), but irrespective of these stats we dominated them on the outside and our defensive pressure held up very well. Melbourne are already a strong clearance side, so it's not a stat I'm overly concerned about, but there's no doubt we need to improve in clearances sooner rather than later. Hopefully now with the inclusions of Sier, and Adams in a few weeks time this can start to change for the better.

The inclusion of Sier was undeniably a beneficial one for the team. He clearly provides a better midfield balance with his inside grunt work. Still somewhat baffles me why he's been out of the team for this long, but I think he needs to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

Cox was very rusty early on, but slowly started to getting better as the game progressed. Just good to see him get through the game without any dramas.

Very happy to be 9-3 as the bye approaches. Couldn't have asked for too much at this stage. Some performances have been hit and miss, but the W-L record is excellent. There's a lot to be optimistic as we prepare for the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Solid win.

Played much better football today compared to last week. We recorded a season high 'Pressure Factor' which is a reflection of the intensity we produced today and which mirrored last year, so it was good to see it returned after it was lacking in previous weeks. That was our best tackling effort since the Richmond game in round 2 with us winning 16 more tackles than Melbourne.

Excellent performances by Sidebottom, Treloar, Stephenson and Elliott. All four stood out to me with them dominating their respective roles.

Elliott?????

Sure were.
Levi also solid, he’s such a tough nut.
He was good. I think because in the last few weeks he has played some blinders... so it overshadows today where he just played his role.

at least once a game he attacks a contest, or just runs so ridiculously hard straight through a contest, that you just sit back and think woah. Has to be inspiring being out there on the field and seeing that.

Get Sier signed already! The kid is a beast!

If he plays 10 games for the year we have a clause in his contract where we get dibs on an extension. Unless injury strikes, with Beams out of the side, I don't see him getting dropped. That would take him to 11 games for the season and we can resign him without any stress.

So 2 turnovers from Aish and you consider his performance “faultless”?
Your word, faultless, which by definition is the perfect performance.
So yes, I’ll stand by my assertion that you didn’t watch the game.
Or you deliberately chose to overlook the turnovers.
Who’s wearing the blinkers?
2 turnovers from 21 touches is about as ‘faultless’ as you can get my friend. Unless your expectation is 0 turnovers from every player on the ground lol.

Blinkers...? You talking about blinkers?? It is so painfully obvious that it literally kills you to say Aish was great today.

You don’t have to love him as a player... but f*** you bag the kid every single opportunity you get... so when he plays like this, you should grow some balls and put yourself out there and go ‘you know what, Aish was actually really good today’ and leave it at that.

It goes both ways. Knock a bloke all you want, but when he actually performs... grow a ****ing dick and admit it.

Rant over

Did Viney play today? I thought he and Nath Jones were still out injured.
They actually play Nathan Jones off a wing now. One of the most mind boggling coaching decisions i’ve ever seen. He isn’t a wingmans a-hole... he is an inside mid, or in the VFL in my eyes.

This encapsulates Melbourne problem as a team. They are so slow and useless on the outside. Their midfield is full of all the same type of players, and they have no true wingmen, and no real line-breakers in the middle. Viney, Oliver, Jones, Brayshaw, Harmes... all one-paced, and ball-butchers if they are not ‘on’. Teams completely dismantle them on the spread... hence why we got smashed in clearances and CP, but win by 40

Adams can't get back soon enough. We miss his clearance work and pressure.

Our forwards are so dynamic. Only reckon Geelong, West Coast and Freo have the defenders to be competitive against them. Stephenson could kick 10 one day.

It was great to see Cox clunking some marks on the wing. It helps our ball movement when under pressure to have that get out kick as an option.

While we got beat up at the clearances I actually thought the midfielders were great. Improved our attack on the ground ball and reckon that must have been a focus after last week. Treloar scrapped so hard and broke the lines. I reckon Siers handballs have the penetration of a kick they're so quick and long.

I thought Aish was fantastic. Really looks good in defence when his field kicking is good. He wins a lot of disputed ground footy and is really assured with his handballing. The whole defence were amazing and only got caught out a few times. So solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back