Review Pies defeat Dees (98-57)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Took my 5 year old Nephew to his first game today. Some turbulent times trying to keep him interested, but thankfully he loved celebrating goals and we managed to kick enough that he had something to yell at every 5-10 minutes lol.

He also has a new favourite (or first favourite really), and he has good taste. Jaidyn Stephenson has got this young fella hooked.

Thank me whenever you wish, I had to fight off an Essendon supporting grandpa, an Essendon supporting uncle, my fiancé who’s also Essendon and this out of the blue infatuation with the Tigers. He’s well and truly ours, and as long as I keep taking him to games he’ll be a Magpie for life!
5 years old and only his first game. Discraceful.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Positives

- Backline was superb again, Justin Longmuir has done an amazing job with our back 6.
- Greenwood's transformation into a backman.
- Is there a more exciting forward duo than Stephenson and DeGoey?
- Sier, can't think of a handball that didn't hit a target, even when under immense pressure.
- Hoskin Elliott back to his best/full fitness, very easy to forget how good he is. 42 goals last year puts him in the elite category for a half forward, great to see him return to his 2018 form.
- Doesn't feel that long ago that the Sack Buckley thread was on world record pace, now we are complaining about losing the clearances in a 41 point win. Great time to be a Pies fan.
- The day as a whole, seeing the Thousands of Beanies in the crowd is pretty inspiring. What Neale has accomplished is jaw dropping.
- Nick Riewoldt's impersonation of Freddie Mercury, not bad.. not bad at all!

Negatives

- Clearance work
- Disposal efficiency from Treloar and Pendles (a rare poor game by foot)
- Some pretty poor umpiring
- Occasional lapses that allow a large momentum shift.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 years old and only his first game. Discraceful.
5 yr old kids nowadays arent like we were (im gen Y, so im talking me and olders), half of them have never heard the word "no" unless its come out of their own mouths, theyve rarely had any boundaries or instilled in them from the time they can walk when [mum/dad/grandma/insert other 'adult' here] says sit down and do as your told means exactly that and if you knew what was good for you youd bloody do it, a mindboggling bunch of them are even asked for THEIR permission by their parents to do something and/or given choices like theyre adults themselves, and practically all of them (** gross generalisation but i think an accurate one) have developed no way of coping when they dont get what they want or arent the centre of attention so they chuck a tantrum the likes of something youd see in a Chucky movie.

Id say 10 is an appropriate age, theyve generally had a few years of school to teach them how to behave in a socially acceptable manner

Last edited:

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Need Elliott back in, his defensive forward work was missing badly yesterday

I may be on my own a little here, but I didn't think it was such a good win, happy that we did, but we made far too many errors.
We actually got smashed in the middle

WHE, Stevo and the entire defensive unit won it for us
Nice to see The Bear back in and play a very serviceable game

I think the rest came at exactly the right time

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Overall, a very good performance. Posters rave about our forward line & midfield, but our defence is the hero.

We have some very very good players in the back half. They don’t get exposed too often.

Positives :
Didn’t realise that Mihocek was that quick.
De GOEY is a god.
Sier’s visions is as good as you get.
Love how Aish attacks contested marking contests.

Negatives :
Treloars kicking
Stephensons goal kicking
Not seeing the Bear & De GOEY in the Center square :(

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Relieved to see WHE play so well yesterday. He really does take some games, after a break, to build back to his best in terms of touch, timing, confidence. The same with Aish. These guys rarely dominate games, but once they have 'it' back, their contribution is invaluable.
Agree.

History does say a strong prep works for Hoskin-Elliott. Hence took a good few weeks for him to find his groove.
Just how he rolls.

He also has an amazing “separator” from the average player. This high level skill. Magnificent soft hands, impeccable judgment. He sorts of floats through, but that’s his talent. An amazing complement to the beast De Goey, the hard pack horse worker in Mihocek.

Just waiting for Jamie to return :)

ps tell that husband of yours his cats have real competition:)

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
What does everything think about getting my act together and creating a book of my greatest 'if we f lose this' quotes re?

Like 100 pages or whatever with pictures and drawings and a quote on each page. Some s**t like that re. Was thinking $9.95 is a good rrp and that re. Was gonna do a 500 page one and sell it for $19.95.. but thought it would be a better idea to have a 5 book volume box collection set or whatever you call it at $9.95 a book.

What does everything think about getting my act together and creating a book of my greatest 'if we f lose this' quotes re?

Like 100 pages or whatever with pictures and drawings and a quote on each page. Some **** like that re. Was thinking $9.95 is a good rrp and that re. Was gonna do a 500 page one and sell it for $19.95.. but thought it would be a better idea to have a 5 book volume box collection set or whatever you call it at $9.95 a book.

Gimpy, make sure its a 'greatest hits' or the 'best of'. We dont want any of your lame threats. You have standards to keep up.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I was so happy this morning.. I was hop skipping and jumping down Brunswick St singing 'they paid paradise to put up a parking lot'.. and these Brunswick st mouhles started having a crack at me as I hopped and skipped past em singing with a smile on my face.. they were sitting at a cafe drinking some s**t that smelt like dirt or some s**t like that.. and I go to em.. 'you know mouhles.. where you're sitting now there was a tree there 500 yrs ago re vlaka'.. they just stopped and stared at me.

Am I a great or what re. A f bastion reeee

haydenboii

Senior List
Sep 13, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully we start dominating the centre clearances with Grundy back to full health and Adams coming back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

esc0bar

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anyone else think the game shssould have been a lot closer after quarter time. Dees missed a lot of opportunities and with scoring comes momentum. Not confident with this team. Adams and Elliot only two players missing from our best 22 with Langdon perhaps a swap with Aish. Will need to improve as a team if we want wins against Geelong, GWS and WCE this season.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I thought it was Howes and WHE's best games for the year. I thought the whole team benefitted from having these two mobile, springy and skilled players at their best. Makes us mobile and clean when they're up and about.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anyone else think the game shssould have been a lot closer after quarter time. Dees missed a lot of opportunities and with scoring comes momentum. Not confident with this team. Adams and Elliot only two players missing from our best 22 with Langdon perhaps a swap with Aish. Will need to improve as a team if we want wins against Geelong, GWS and WCE this season.
Adams especially is a vital cog who gives us true presence in and under.

You know the old saying about May champions?

We are on the Cats 2011 trajectory - if all goes well from here injury wise we should be cherry ripe heading into the finals then we shall see who is the best side when all the chips are on the table.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Hopefully we start dominating the centre clearances with Grundy back to full health and Adams coming back

I'm not sure we're ever going to dominate the clearances with this group, or at least this midfield structure. I would settle for bridging the gap and making it even. We seem to set up to defend the clearance, win the ball back and launch quickly. The benefit is that when we win it we have more space and can be more constructive with it. I still reckon its dangerous to give up first use consistently though because if the opposition navigates the defensive structures you're in trouble.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not looking to argue, but who was in your eyes?

I really liked Aish's and Howe's game yesterday.

I will watch the game again tonight.......I might have had a few too many Gin & Tonics yesterday during the game :$

Matt_TY

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2003
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
I think I can process my thoughts now:
-Pendles had a poor game
-Sidey had his moments, in particular he was everywhere in the first quarter
-Darcy had that one error but was otherwise fantastic
-De Goey and Sier were great (that goal though!) and Mihocek had a lot of involvement too
-Gawn was obviously best on for the Dees, but Jayden Hunt also was up while the Demons were coming back at us
-Umpiring remains a joke, not even for bias as much as constant new interpretations and consistency issues. The league seriously needs to professionalise these people, then back off and let them sort out the rules rather than constantly handing down new rules and interpretations, and let them be accountable when they get it wrong.

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol. He’s had a good three weeks. I have never seen him play anything approaching a blinder. Closest was probably the QB game a year or two ago where he got absolutely smashed in a marking contest and it ****** his season.
I forget which week but in the one of the last 3 he played absolutely out of his skin. Was marking everything

I really liked Aish's and Howe's game yesterday.

I will watch the game again tonight.......I might have had a few too many Gin & Tonics yesterday during the game :$
Can't disagree, just my impression at the ground, and no G&T's.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
We’re the real deal........enjoy the ride people.

It won’t be a boring ride people that’s for sure.

P.S I am still waiting for an AFL apology tomorrow for the Howe free kick.

yeah that rule is disgraceful they actually also penalised Tom Mcdonald for using his knee in the marking contest later in the game too.

Game sanitised enough without taking the speccy or attempts of it out of the game.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Never seen Aish get a run in our midfield yet....worth rotating him in their occasionally. Think he could be a good extractor/clearance player.
Totally agree with you regarding Mihocek, his such an asset. I will add also, thought Cox was really good for his 1st game in well over a month.

Cox just needs to work on those times where he gets moved under the ball in marking contests and just fails to compete at all, he had a few moments in the first half but improved as the game went on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back