Toast Pies dominate Dogs (86-34)

Remove this Banner Ad

NO New Major Injuries

giphy.gif

As much as I agree RE the gods of bizareness needing to shine positively on us more often, I'll always remember and be thankful for Milne hesitating for a split second and an awkward bounce turning a certain goal into a behind 🙏🙏🙏
was right behind that goal - heart palpitating, stress monitor blown a gasket - welcome to Pies finals

Dogs were made to chase their tail.

(See what I did there?)

I still :hearts: Sidebottom, works his arse off and so many players look for him.
He’s very special.

Elite runner.

And we will need the elite runners this year if we double up on games.

I love Checkers. He is so consistent, plays his role week in week out, the coaches must love him.

Great to see WHE involved in a bit last night. Had some of his 2018 touch back.

Pendles is doing it all again. Amazing.

Would have won by 70 or more if they didn't take the foot off the pedal in the last 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter. Pies big problem in addition to injuries is that they don't go for the kill... They ease off at times throughout games.

Bulldogs should bounce back they were terrible in the first... Albeit Pies pressure got them shook.. The pies blitz then with mid season type intensity and it shocked the doggies.

Need to do this against the Tigers who are fast starters. Don't want to play from behind against Tigers need to clamp them down early and shake their confidence

It was a fantastic all round performance last night. Grundy took another leap forward as a player. His tap craft looked another level. It was great to see some variety and some new strategies. The punch forward into space. The tap over his head to a player running behind. Generally I was just happy to see his taps creating space and for the mids to be on the move at the drop of the ball rather than flat footed. It will make our midfield less predictable to the opposition and harder to counter. That said English isn't much of an opponent in the ruck.

I have been really outspoken about Tyler and thought he was lucky to get a game. I think he had a great debut and provided a level of input similar to what he averages in the VFL. I really like his evasiveness, lateral movement and spatial awareness in tight. Philosophically I like him over Wills as he just has that much more talent and can hurt offensively. That was pleasing. Still, he needs to kick more often. I hope with experience he can win more footy too. It was a really promising debut.

I liked WHE off the wing. When Sidebottom is a mainstay and your other options are Mayne and Phillips it can leave you a little one-paced. It was good to see some pace and a good aerial target. Gives us a different mix.

Mihocek is my favourite player. He is so smart, so no fuss and so committed. His leading patterns really smart. Great overhead and reliable kick. Most underrated key forward in the game.

I could go on but it was great to see the footy back and the excitement of a win. It's all been a little stressed lately and I really reckon these things are important. You could see it in the emotion of the club song and reckon there were a lot of people in lounge rooms feeling that same joy and energy.

Now obviously Grundy played phenomenally last night, you don't need me to tell you that, but I noticed something I hadn't seen very much last year and that was his control of the ruck contest not only with his body strength but with his mind (IQ). It seemed a lot more fluent and he was tapping it down to our players and sometimes ahead of them so they could run onto it. Last year he was winning the taps, but it was rarely to our advantage. So whatever they've been working on in the preseason is working because Grundy is twice the player he was last year already.

Last edited:
Now obviously Grundy played phenomenally last night, you don't need me to tell you that, but I noticed something I hadn't seen very much last year and that was his control of the ruck contest not only with his body strength but with his mind. It seemed a lot more fluent and he was tapping it down to our players and sometimes ahead of them so they could run onto it. Last year he was winning the taps, but it was rarely to our advantage. So whatever they've been working on in the preseason is working because Grundy is twice the player he was last year already.

WTF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy’s IQ is fine........you don’t go back to back All Australian if you don’t understand your caper.
It was okay last year, but far from fine in my opinion. He was very inefficient, winning so many taps but not able to translate that in a way that could make the team dominate, at times just tapping it down randomly to nobody or to the opposition. But now he is a lot smarter with where he hits it to, able to predict a players running path and tap it to their advantage. This makes him double the ruck he is and if this continues for the rest of the season, we may very well bare witness one of the greatest seasons from a ruckman in the AFL/VFL.

It was okay last year, but far from fine in my opinion. He was very inefficient, winning so many taps but not able to translate that in a way that could make the team dominate, at times just tapping it down randomly to nobody or to the opposition. But now he is a lot smarter with where he hits it to, able to predict a players running path and tap it to their advantage. This makes him double the ruck he is and if this continues for the rest of the season, we may very well bare witness one of the greatest seasons from a ruckman in the AFL/VFL.

He will be the best Pies ruckman I have ever witnessed in my lifetime at the end of his career.

I just hope he has a few Premierships to match his 9 All Australians.

..............and Adams job on the Bont.

I feel like I've posted that much about Bontempelli in the last 20 hours that it probably comes across as borderline obsessive 😂 They hyped him up so much before the game and he probably had his worst game ever.

Robbo's best player in the league...

was right behind that goal - heart palpitating, stress monitor blown a gasket - welcome to Pies finals

Me too mate - about Row M, Goddard flying for that mark and goal is also indelibly singed into my brain, I was distraught at what was such a beautifully perfect grab happening to us at a critical point in a granny.

Never mind, we got paid back double in '18 of course (as is the Collingwood way!).

He will be the best Pies ruckman I have ever witnessed in my lifetime at the end of his career.

I just hope he has a few Premierships to match his 9 All Australians.

Hope not like Thommo where he was a Dominant Ruckman but Sadly no Flags to his name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back