News Pies drop Leading Teams

Ted Parker

TED: How’s June?
Jul 15, 2013
Meeanjin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Leading Teams is supposed help mold players into leaders while each week in team meetings players come together and give feedback to one and other. It's a stupid program that divides players because some can and can't take criticism

An ex player mentioned to me several weeks back that Pendles had a good part of the playing group disenfranchised due to the open and direct feedback given to team-mates. The result was his Captaincy and its effectiveness was being impacted.
Now that's as reliable as 2nd hand info as opposed to coming from a current player directly but on the back of this news it may well have some merit.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
How do you feel a program like this could benefit Collingwood?
Sorry mate it went over your head.
Hendy has been an advisor to Bucks since the early days of his coaching career.
He just got the arse.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
All hail the great gubby go d

Everything that happens now that's good, in people's view, it's the great Gubby
Anything bad it's Buckleys fault.

(I'll set the default setting)

Spot on Saintly. Just repeat the mantra while gentling rotating your membership card in your hand and you shall reach BigFooty Nirvana:

If we made a good decision it was down to Hine.

If we made a bad decision it was down to Buckley.

If we are to make good decisions in the future it will be down to Gubby.

Ommmmmmmmmm...

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
Great news.

The fact that our playing group couldn't thrive in a leading teams environment and was persisted with is an indictment on the Pre Gubby regime.

From the little info i get was that it caused fractures in the playing group.

Football is a professional sport but it's not your team mates that should be calling you out.. leave it behind closed doors for the coaches.

I want a harmonious playing group that would walk over hot coals and broken glass for each other. More team building and less team stripping shreds..

Really looking forward to next season.

An ex player mentioned to me several weeks back that Pendles had a good part of the playing group disenfranchised due to the open and direct feedback given to team-mates. The result was his Captaincy and its effectiveness was being impacted.
Now that's as reliable as 2nd hand info as opposed to coming from a current player directly but on the back of this news it may well have some merit.
I'm going to put my old man cap on here. What I'm about to say is a generalisation and of course there are exceptions:

This is the issue with the Y generation (it's always been a problem with young adults but is now magnified by all the social media etc) in that people in their 20's like to say they want honest feedback and get involved in decision making so they feel they have some "ownership" but the reality is that what they really want is a pat on the back. They want their participation award and feel like they are being "bullied" if they cop any criticism, regardless of how well intentioned that criticism is.

This is the selfie generation that we are dealing with. It requires instant gratification and feels rejected without it.

My feeling is that leading teams will only work if you have leaders, including those that are very young leaders in the club, who are strong enough to pull the others along with them so that they are in a frame of mind where the criticism is accepted without it being seen by the individual as a personal slight on them.

Great news.

The fact that our playing group couldn't thrive in a leading teams environment and was persisted with is an indictment on the Pre Gubby regime.

Football is a professional sport but it's not your team mates that should be calling you out.. leave it behind closed doors for the coaches.

I want a harmonious playing group that would walk over hot coals and broken glass for each other. More team building and less team stripping shreds..

In other words you want coaches to deal with it behind closed doors and leave players guessing what the others have been doing. Which will leak anyway
Sorry but if you ask me to run through a brick wall for the bloke next to me, I think I should have the right to call him out. Just as he would have that right on me. And any of those precious fairies that can't cop criticism from their peers can GAGF

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spot on Saintly. Just repeat the mantra while gentling rotating your membership card in your hand and you shall reach BigFooty Nirvana:

If we made a good decision it was down to Hine.

If we made a bad decision it was down to Buckley.

If we are to make good decisions in the future it will be down to Gubby.

Ommmmmmmmmm...
And I love your avatar
Which I assume is Adam Treloar on his finest Sunday wares :)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

that is not always (Nigel) smart lol ;)
He'll never live it down

Aug 25, 2007
Gladstone Qld
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great news.

And then you get the playing group getting pissed off with the coaches, and then people get on here
and blast Buckley (you know who you are) for losing the group and its his fault everybody is leaving.
Maybe the players should man up and take the criticism on the chin

Was it optional or did the entire group participate?

I remember a video somewhere that had a brief snippet of Harry leading some kind of meditation session. It was with the whole group, but dunno if it was an experimental thing, or part of an ongoing program.

Meditation was very much Harry's bag.

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
And then you get the playing group getting pissed off with the coaches, and then people get on here
and blast Buckley (you know who you are) for losing the group and its his fault everybody is leaving.

It's the hierarchy..

Players are equals and it disrupts that if you have 3 mates telling you you're not pulling your weight.

It creates fractures and departures.
I'm all for accountability but its not good just saying take it on the chin if you don't have the personalities that can adapt to it.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The best leading teams in the world is when you win the Flag, then you are truly the leading team :D

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm going to put my old man cap on here. What I'm about to say is a generalisation and of course there are exceptions:

This is the issue with the Y generation (it's always been a problem with young adults but is now magnified by all the social media etc) in that people in their 20's like to say they want honest feedback and get involved in decision making so they feel they have some "ownership" but the reality is that what they really want is a pat on the back. They want their participation award and feel like they are being "bullied" if they cop any criticism, regardless of how well intentioned that criticism is.

This is the selfie generation that we are dealing with. It requires instant gratification and feels rejected without it.

My feeling is that leading teams will only work if you have leaders, including those that are very young leaders in the club, who are strong enough to pull the others along with them so that they are in a frame of mind where the criticism is accepted without it being seen by the individual as a personal slight on them.

I heard a young bloke just yesterday asking another bloke of my vintage (early 40s) how he could cope with finishing something but not be able to tweet about it so everyone would know. I laughed out loud at the suggestion and so did the other guy, but the kid was deadly serious. The idea that finishing something and doing it well was its own reward was just alien to him.

My other half had coffee with a friend recently and the friend's 3 year old was bullying and hurting other kids in the cafe's play area. The mum mumbled "Oh stop that little Johnny" and didn't get out of her chair once. This same mum had earlier complained at length about her son not listening or being "controllable".

On the other hand I've met plenty of Millenials who don't feel that they are at the centre of the universe. Really good kids that put me to shame with their work ethic and attitude. They're amazing.

Parenting seems to have a fair bit to do with both outcomes.

Which is why I rule with an IRON FIST!

OK, I don't. I don't take any crap though, and my kids are pretty well behaved as a result. There are consequences in their lives and they have to earn their priveledges, even at an early age. Kids really respond to it. Having no boundaries stresses them out like crazy.

Perhaps that's one of several reasons why recruiters have become more and more interested in the schooling and family upbringing of players.

In any case, each generation is different by definition, so it just is what it is. If a club doesn't work with what it's got and harness the potential of its players then it will fail.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sorry but for all you people bleating about how 'equal' everyone needs to feel it's just not factual and never will be. Some people are leaders and some are followers, others are lone wolves and then there are the 'disaffected' who spend their entire lives feeling 'alienated'.

Gratification is earned and not entitled, life isn't some debating society concept but a journey towards self betterment - with the emphisis on self.

In general the human condition is one of failure and missed opportunites, which makes the mindset of self betterment and readiness to take ownership of all our qualities, good and bad the only reliable blueprint for success. Those of us willing to face our true selves and reach for improvement by honest effort without expecting 'crutches' and 'empowerment' have a much greater chance of achieving our goals than those waiting to be validated.

It is what it is, just deal with it and move forward.

Or you could perhaps wait for someone to tell you just how 'oppressed' and 'disenfranchised' you are so that you can feel justified in being mediocre. **rollseyes.gif**

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember a video somewhere that had a brief snippet of Harry leading some kind of meditation session. It was with the whole group, but dunno if it was an experimental thing, or part of an ongoing program.

Meditation was very much Harry's bag.

The entire group used to participate in a yoga-style "Shavasana" after a session. The idea is that it calms the mind after the heavy cardio sessions and brings the body back to stillness to help recovery.

They also used to do this before running onto the ground. The theory behind it is that an excited/frantic mind is less likely to make cool decisions, whereas a still mind is focussed and dependable. Didn't seem to do the 2011 group any harm.

Pendles/Harry were also big yoga devotees - bloody amazing for stretching and recovery and helps prevent soft-tissue injuries by constant and gentle stretching all over. Not all the boys are fans but it didn't seem to do these two any harm!

Re: Leading Teams - what makes me laugh is that Pendles "tells it like it is" and disenfranchises the group.

Like Nick Maxwell never told it like it was?!? "Harden the * up" at Copeland? And a lot more behind closed doors.

Please, spare me. The real issue behind Leading Teams is that is makes players speak like corporate robots. Much better to deliver home truths in your native tongue in my opinion. Feels a lot more genuine and less spiteful. There's also a time/place to deliver criticism and it's not always in front of 39 of your peers.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
Great news.

agree. everything can be sorted with a beer and a bonfire.

PhiloBeddoe

Premium Gold
Mar 5, 2008
Ma's house.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
None
As long as the current generation in their 20's are getting some valuable input then it works FiloBeddoe........but if the puppets......sorry the leadership group are dictating the resolution to meetings then leading teams fails.

It's time our Club stops holding hands and as Maxy said a few years ago at the Copeland the players need to "step up"!

Get a ruck coach now instead of leading teams........it's a :thumbsu: from me.
CFC, it's easy to call the lower tiers of leadership 'puppets' when they agree with the admin about a pathway. It's a common call from employees in all sectors. In my experience, it usually comes from those who see no redeeming features of the admin and want some of them gone. It also comes from those who are disengaged and or believe their methods are better. Have a look at Heater's behaviour on the weekend. He was running his own feedback session on the ground. The LT feedback sessions don't finger point in the same manner although those who pot the program and know little about it think they do.

If you what you say is true about the resolution, I have no reason to doubt you, then the program was poorly facilitated. Either that or the players conveniently forgot that guidelines were set while taking into account the agreed expectations that they helped formulate.

While we all celebrate LT's demise at our club, think about the possibility that Buckley and his puppets can now absolutely dictate the resolution to any issue with minimal player input. In effect, it's status quo but without the extra meetings etc.
Accountability is a bitch, levendi.
Agree on the ruck coach. Grundy will be unstoppable next year.:p

ant22

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2005
gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
pies

So let me get this straight. You don't think the senior coach has some responsibility and accountability in how our leadership programs work?

I guess James Hird had no responsibility in ensuring his players were clean and protected from the harm caused by their peptides programs.

The senior figures who introduced leading teams are the ones who are most responsible-not the players. Don't get me wrong at the time I myself through it might be a good thing but that's the price of leadership. If you introduce something that does not work you take responsibility.

Back