Opinion Pies fans. Calm the **** down!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies fans. Calm the **** down!

Just peace out for a while and prevent yourselves from having a collective, board wide meltdown and heart attack!

Geelong are flying and are the rightful premiership favourites at the moment.

Outside of them, the accepted 'next' favourites are Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond and GWS.

We have been getting injuries lately and haven't been playing our best, but we only lost by 4 points last week after 7 straight wins.

We have lost 3 games out of 11 by a total of 33 points and comfortably sit top 4 with a chance to go back up to second tomorrow. If we win tomorrow, we will be 2 games and a tonne of percentage ahead of 5th, despite a tough early fixture, a fair whack of injuries and a form drop.

Yet, after last week's 4 point loss against a decent side playing out of their skins, half of this board went into meltdown and wrote us off as a premiership chance.

Some perspective guys....

GWS have lost 4 games by a combined 130 points.

West Coast have lost 4 by a combined 189 points and just lost, by a lot, to a bang average Sydney side with only 1 player on the bench for a big chunk of the game.

Richmond have lost 5 by a combined 244 points!

Geelong, despite their dominance this year, were led by us for almost the whole game and just snuck home with a late surge in what was comfortably our worst performance all year. We're really not that far off them.

Most good judges say that good teams find a way to win when not at their best. That's exactly what we have done recently, often by considerable margins. We are going bloody well and it doesn't matter one little bit if we are imperfect at this point in the season. All that matters is that we get the wins on the board and focus on trying to be at our best when it all matters. The finals are 13 weeks away and a lot can change in that time!

We have been in a better position than this, at this point in a season, maybe 2 or 3 times since 1990. Getting to watch our team play out seasons like this is why we invest so much time, energy and money in the club, even in the hard years. I, personally, am loving it.

Pies fans. Start enjoying the ride, and calm the **** down!

Last edited:
I cant really think of a game since round 1 last season where we have been pumped?

Seems like every game since the side has atleast stayed in the game for 3 quarters.

This round, Richmond, GWS & West Coast have all lost.
They are our key competitors for a top four spot.
If we can beat Melbourne (and it’s only an if), we go back up to second.
With a win we will be a game clear of GWS, a game & 20% clear of WCE and 2 games & 30% clear of Richmond.
A good place to be at the bye.
Just beat Melbourne!

I'm as cool as a cucumber.
What brought on this plea to the masses?

Not you I guess.

There's just a weird amount of negativity around here considering how we're going. The reaction to last week's loss was straight up hysterical by some.

I'm concerned for the health of some of my fellow supporters. Call it a public health announcement.

Pies fans. Calm the **** down!

Just peace out for a while and prevent yourselves from having a collective, board wide meltdown and heart attack!

Geelong are flying and are the rightful premiership favourites at the moment.

Outside of them, the accepted 'next' favourites are Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond and GWS.

We have been getting injuries lately and haven't been playing our best, but we only lost by 4 points last week after 7 straight wins.

We have lost 3 games out of 11 by a total of 33 points and comfortably sit top 4 with a chance to go back up to second tomorrow. If we win tomorrow, we will be 2 games and a tonne of percentage ahead of 5th, despite a tough early fixture, a fair whack of injuries and a form drop.

Yet, after last week's 4 point loss against a decent side playing out of their skins, half of this board went into meltdown and wrote us off as a premiership chance.

Some perspective guys....

GWS have lost 4 games by a combined 130 points.

West Coast have lost 4 by a combined 189 points and just lost, by a lot, to a bang average Sydney side with only 1 player on the bench for a big chunk of the game.

Richmond have lost 5 by a combined 244 points!

Geelong, despite their dominance this year, were led by us for almost the whole game and just snuck home with a late surge in what was comfortably our worst performance all year. We're really not that far off them.

Most good judges say that good teams find a way to win when not at their best. That's exactly what we have done recently, often by considerable margins. We are going bloody well and it doesn't matter one little bit if we are imperfect at this point in the season. All that matters is that we get the wins on the board and focus on trying to be at our best when it all matters. The finals are 13 weeks away and a lot can change in that time!

We have been in a better position than this, at this point in a season, maybe 2 or 3 times since 1990. Getting to watch our team play out seasons like this is why we invest so much time, energy and money in the club, even in the hard years. I, personally, am loving it.

Pies fans. Start enjoying the ride, and calm the **** down!
I’m calm but we need to win tomorrow.

Not you I guess.

There's just a weird amount of negativity around here considering how we're going. The reaction to last week's loss was straight up hysterical by some.

I'm concerned for the health of some of my fellow supporters. Call it a public health announcement.
It was amazing that previously gutsy wins all of a sudden became lucky wins.

I'm enjoying this season much more than last season.

We're a far better balanced side, and have HUGE ins to look forward to in the second half of the year. The likes of Sier, Adams, Elliott, Cox, Langdon all not didn't play against the Dockers last week but are in their way back.

We will win tomorrow and can look forward to a top 4 finish.

I’m calm too... Glad we lost against Freo. A wake up call we needed. A loss to Melbourne on the QB would have been more catastrophic, particularly leading to the bye round.

I couldn’t give a f’k if I get flamed for this comment either.

One point you missed OP is that Geelong have been kissed on the di<k with regards to injuries.

More than happy for Geelong to have the spot light and for us to be in the background. Until we prove we can beat Geelong and West Coast though I'm not thinking far ahead.

It was amazing that previously gutsy wins all of a sudden became lucky wins.

I think it comes back into perception of how a team has played in said narrow wins.

If you play like s**t for 2 and half quarters and blitz for a quarter the perception is you played poor footy on the whole and luckily got the win despite it.

If you play well all game but the opposition also play well then you eek out a win, then you have beaten good opposition, both playing well so its perceived as a hard fought win.

Pies all seasons have more of column a then b which leaves people feeling nervous of the wheels falling off.

I guess the flip side is it also points out that should we improve our consistency within games we could be very dominant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what Boris? you get my flag back from the piece of s**t Western Australian West Coast supporting umpire that didn't pay a block he pays every single week and I'll CALM THE **** DOWN! :mad:

Last edited:
If I were any more chill I would be hosting ponies for an all equine carrot eating contest and dancing the tarantella naked.

You know what Boris? you get my flag back from the piece of **** Wesern Australian West Coast supporting umpire that didn't pay a block he pays every single week and I'll CALM THE **** DOWN! :mad:

The Howe one?
Haha ok I'll forgive you for losing your calm over that.

One of the worst (non)decisions I've seen.

We are getting injuries again... lots of them to good players; ie Adams, Beams, Langdon, Elliot. DeGoey doesn’t look fit. We’ve played very patchy football. Our depth is poor... our VFL team is getting smashed.
I’m not convinced.

Not you I guess.

Results wise, I'm very happy, but I am concerned that we are falling into our 2015-2017 crab-like game style, rather than looking to move the ball quickly like we did last year.

It has been a while since I'd say we played a fantastic 4 quarter game. We were belted in the middle last week and it was a loss that had been coming for a while. We could get belted again in the middle later today. Hopefully, the injection of Sier and Cox helps us to win more of the inside ball and gets us back to the dangerous looking forward line we can possess. As mentioned earlier a massive game now with other top four rivals having losses. Go Pies!

I think how we are going is the problem, if we were doing what Geelong is doing (which is where I expected us to be after coming so close with so many injuries and inexperience) then I would agree with you.
But it feels like we've just been getting by while our depth and class gets eaten into every week with a new injury and we come off the pace that little bit more.
I hope I'm wrong but it's got a very familiar look about it, and I'd really hoped we'd be the stand out team this year.

Injuries have robbed us of flexibility this year as they did last year and we are in a better relative position than our GF year last year.

Cox and Sier back in today makes us a much more threatening team and consider with Adams back in the midfield gains the balance and power we have lacked recently.

Win by even 1 point this week and the season opens up nicely.

Game day hugs brothers and sisters.

Side by side.

I think how we are going is the problem, if we were doing what Geelong is doing (which is where I expected us to be after coming so close with so many injuries and inexperience) then I would agree with you.
But it feels like we've just been getting by while our depth and class gets eaten into every week with a new injury and we come off the pace that little bit more.
I hope I'm wrong but it's got a very familiar look about it, and I'd really hoped we'd be the stand out team this year.
We were the stand out team in '11 by a long way

That worked out well.

The familiar look is that even running at 80% we made it to the big dance. And our 80% this year is better than last years.
Last year there was the Tiger Juggernaut that went undefeated at the MCG. So now we got Geelong that are the norm.
We are not red hot favourites I will happily agree but we can bat deep and replacements are battle hardened. Bring it on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back