Pies fined $20k, ($10k suspended) over ineligible player

AFL fines Collingwood $20K ($10K suspended), whaddaya reckon?

• No big deal / a drop in the ocean / mistakes happen

• That’s members’ hard earned cash / is probably symptomatic of bigger problems

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t we claim that he was training with the VFL...but read the wrong training notice & just got lost amongst the AFL boys...
Actually seems a bit harsh (the fine) if we de decided to list a player training with the VFL team...same club...same ground...
The AFL are just ridiculous with their rule interpretations sometimes...
We must refuse to pay any Football Tax...ever.

It was Nelly Yoa wasn't it? :)

Repeat 2 north Ballarat rebel players convinced to try out for vfl spots i lieu of no Ballarat vfl team
One impressed enough to take ramsays earmarked spot , which was a suprise to most
Great move by the club checking the kid out , must have shown a lot to oust the incumbent who I add was liked and respected by all at the joint
How do you join the Knee jerkers association...by invitation only or open to all...like Scientology?

Not a member , don't know the secret handshake
Pretty obvious who is though

What cost us $10,000 was a stuff up, pure and simple. Stop spinning it.

Well Some People don't like saying Club Stuffed up which Happened here with this $20 000 Fine

Read my other post mate
He trained with us and friggin inpressed , earnt the rookie spot and took Ramas
Now what would you want the club to do , KEEP RAMA and get baged for being loyal (oxley) or take advantage of the opportunity on the doorstep
No spin just logical facts
But keep following the knee jerker s
Mate This preseason their going great guns , all seem to know more than the paid professionals
What you just typed is all spin combined with straw man arguments.

Stop infusing getting Appleby (which is great!) with the club stuffing up by not listing him as training with the AFL squad. If we had listed him we would still have got him and we'd be $10,000 better off!

Some of the people on here act as if they have never made a mistake.

The AFL levy a bullshit fine for a silly mistake. The fine is ludicrous.

I know I've made a silly mistakes before. I know friends and family who have made errors before.

I'm not going hang the club because I can see how small mistakes can occur. What I find rediculous is the level of the fine. The AFL are a joke.

What I hope is that it doesn't happen again and we make sure it doesn't.

Some of the people on here act as if they have never made a mistake.
The AFL levy a bullshit fine for a silly mistake. The fine is ludicrous.
I know I've made a silly mistakes before. I know friends and family who have made errors before.
I'm not going hang the club because I can see how small mistakes can occur. What I find rediculous is the level of the fine. The AFL are a joke.

What I hope is that it doesn't happen again and we make sure it doesn't.

Its amateur hour "again" MJ nothing more nothing less...........exhibit A below

AFL fines Collingwood $20,000 for rules breach after 'administrative error' on third-party agreements
  • AAP
  • 5:55PM August 2, 2012
Collingwood have been fined $20,000 for what the AFL has labelled an administrative error regarding the league's player rules.

Its amateur hour "again" MJ nothing more nothing less...........exhibit A below

AFL fines Collingwood $20,000 for rules breach after 'administrative error' on third-party agreements
  • AAP
  • 5:55PM August 2, 2012
Collingwood have been fined $20,000 for what the AFL has labelled an administrative error regarding the league's player rules.
You've never made a mistake? I assume you're not in an occupation where a small error can have large consequences?

While it should not happen, the bullshit people carry on with is rediculous.

For all we know someone simply didn't write the name on the form when submitting the information. That's an easy oversight.

This is AFL red tape that raises money through rediculous fines.

What is clear is that we need to make sure staff are aware of their obligations and that everything needs to be double checked. Which is kind of stupid considering this isn't high finance, they are just footy clubs.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

You've never made a mistake? I assume you're not in an occupation where a small error can have large consequences?

For all we know someone simply didn't write the name on the form when submitting the information. That's an easy oversight.

What is clear is that we need to make sure staff are aware of their obligations and that everything needs to be double checked. Which is kind of stupid considering this isn't high finance, they are just footy clubs.

But its not about me and my mistakes mate.

Why doesn't the Club explain to the plebs what caused this "mistake"?

Just a little transparency on our part would be nice because I know we will never get that from the AFL.

By the way I don't think people have carried on in this instance or thread.

And its not so much about a minor mistake (and for me at least, its not even so much about the $10k fine)
What I find amusing is the hysterics the perpetually sad spread across this forum.
The media think its an insignificant issue, the commentators think its an insignificant issue, real world people think its an insignificant issue, but on here there are two types of people who go into a melt down
* those who purposely want to continue their agenda of damaging the club (because they believe their wants should outweigh anything the club is trying to do)
* those that just fall into the negativity because its easy to follow a loud hysterical minority

Last edited:
And its not so much about a minor mistake (and for me at least, its even so much about the $10k fine)
What I find amusing is the hysterics the perpetually sad spread across this forum.
The media think its an insignificant issue, the commentators think its an insignificant issue, real world people think its an insignificant issue, but on here there are two types of people who go into a melt down
* those who purposely want to continue their agenda of damaging the club (because they believe their wants should outweigh anything the club is trying to do)
* those that just fall into the negativity because its easy to follow a loud hysterical minority

You are wrong BJ and it is unfair that you label people as you have above.

If it was so insignificant as you say why was it made public??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every insignificant issue in football is made public (football runs this city), even more-so when it involves Collingwood
The AFL may have done so as a warning to other Clubs, as I doubt this is the first time this has happened

But its not about me and my mistakes mate.

Why doesn't the Club explain to the plebs what caused this "mistake"?

Just a little transparency on our part would be nice because I know we will never get that from the AFL.

By the way I don't think people have carried on in this instance or thread.
Ok. Well that explains the difference between us. I'm willing to put myself in the shoes of others, and clearly you're not.

Last edited:
And its not so much about a minor mistake (and for me at least, its even so much about the $10k fine)

Well put and on the money

Even as little as 10 years ago it likely wouldn't have been but this type of information seems to get released more these days to help fill a 24hr news cycle rather than due to any perceived significance. I'm not defending the club or trying to justify the error, just not getting too caught up in the hysteria. It was a mistake, learn from it, move on. It's not like Collingwood are the only side ever to have been sanctioned by the League for these type of indiscretions.

It may not even have been an error. It could have been a last minute decision to have a look at him at training and thus not enough time for the approval process. Thus it was quite possibly a calculated risk on our behalf.
Could be, in business you do make those calls, but they had time, still should not have happened.

It may not even have been an error. It could have been a last minute decision to have a look at him at training and thus not enough time for the approval process. Thus it was quite possibly a calculated risk on our behalf.

You can still submit paperwork in those instances, even if you don't get the approval notice back in time, you've at least initiated the process even if it's the next day. My understanding is that there wasn't even an attempt to get approval. May have been as simple as a breakdown in communication from FD to Admin.

Last edited:
I have a feeling about 2 years ago we got a $2 k fine for not having correct locations for the testers Of substances.

If memory serves Hawthorn copped a $7k fine as well. For same sin of improper locations for drug testers. Even the perfect make errors.

Might be a few clubs at that time copped a little smack from the AFL.

Don’t know what happened this time, shouldn’t have. Appears dumb.
Seems a bit heavy handed as a fine but not a hanging offence in my view.

Probably be better if the details were given. Example a non recorded player trained with the VFL boys pre draft or whatever it was. Just so It’s all open in this instance.

It’s a reminder to get the little things right.

He's a young kid.. He probably sent an emoji to RSVP the invitation to train and the old guy who received it didn't understand
RSVP?
You’re so last decade.

Tinder that did it :sick:

Back