Pies/GWS pick trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Sphynx

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this going to be the worst trade of all time?

I think the pies finish last.

Hawks to beat Collingwood and North to beat Adelaide.

Could have had Jason Horne and Nick Daicos.
Yes and it will take some beating moving forward.

Other clubs might trade out the #1 pick in future, but I highly doubt it will be for a few picks in the 20's.

It's extremely strange for a club to misread their following years finishing position by what looks to be about a dozen positions on the ladder.

Sphynx

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure but the issue is you could have got two.
It's a point lost on most Pies supporters.

They could have also had another top pick in 2022 even if they don't have the #1 pick.

There's no upside in trading your first pick a year out from an NGA or F/S prospect. None.

So many moving parts that can't be anticipated - said player might get injured, form turn to sh*t, your ladder position might plummet (See Collingwood) meaning you can double up, a generational prospect might unearth themselves, might have long term injuries to different positions or other players leaving etc.

They should have waited until this year to trade it. Given their likely finishing position, they could have leveraged the top pick in almost any scenario for the double up.

Or alternatively got a Kings Ransom in 2022 picks.

Malifice

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
If I see Ned Guy I may punch him.
Either way we will get one of the best kids in the draft
You would have had 2 of the best kids in the draft.

As shitty as our midfield is, you guys also need to build one, largely from scratch. You also need a KPF or two.

Surely you guys look to trade Grundy to Port and speed this rebuild up?

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
You would have had 2 of the best kids in the draft.

As shitty as our midfield is, you guys also need to build one, largely from scratch. You also need a KPF or two.

Surely you guys look to trade Grundy to Port and speed this rebuild up?
Who would take on grundys contract? No one. Paying a million for a ruckman is moronic. Just see Hickey they got for zero

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Truth be told I am not even sure what Collingwood got out of this deal. Even in bad deals you sort of see where the other club is coming from, where they at the time thought they would benefit from the trade. I don't get that with this one, I don't see what Collingwood thought they would get out of this trade.

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
Let's not forget that current ladder positions mean that Adam Treloar was traded with a pick surplus to the Bulldogs, plus $300k pa x 5 years. Incredible.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I see Ned Guy I may punch him.
Either way we will get one of the best kids in the draft
Yes, but you will go into points deficit to do so.

Meaning it compromises your draft in 2022 as well.

Imagine you finish last in 2022 and can only get pick 10.

This is the worst list management of all time unfortunately for you guys.

Last edited:

markm106

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So it was traded for picks 24 and 30. I guess they needed picks last year and they get access to one of the best this year but they certainly could have done better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Orange crush

All Australian
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It's a point lost on most Pies supporters.

They could have also had another top pick in 2022 even if they don't have the #1 pick.

There's no upside in trading your first pick a year out from an NGA or F/S prospect. None.

So many moving parts that can't be anticipated - said player might get injured, form turn to sh*t, your ladder position might plummet (See Collingwood) meaning you can double up, a generational prospect might unearth themselves, might have long term injuries to different positions or other players leaving etc.

They should have waited until this year to trade it. Given their likely finishing position, they could have leveraged the top pick in almost any scenario for the double up.

Or alternatively got a Kings Ransom in 2022 picks.
This .... With bells on

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, It sets a new benchmark for piss poor list management I think we can probably all agree on that.

This could be a moment in the club's history that sets them back 20 years... Like Carlton and the salary cap in the late 90s.

I don't think it's all Ned Guy's fault either, he was the puppet, not the one pulling the strings.

Last edited:

Sphynx

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It will likely end up at pick 2, which could have easily been traded with a sweetener for pick 1 (The team with pick 1 can't draft Daicos, so its an easy trade).

So yes, worst deal of all time even if they don't finish bottom.
It really comes down to their game vs Hawthorn.

Without Pendles, every chance they lose it and get the spoon.

I'm pretty confident we will roll Adelaide and possibly Richmond on the run home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad