Pies/GWS pick trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested, why do you think that is?

Not sure, but the first rounders we have taken since 2011 that have not been academy selections are

Dean Towers
Zac Jones

Oliver Florent
Will Hayward
Matthew Ling
Dylan Stephens

Logan McDonald

2 definite busts there (Ling and Towers), a likely complete failure of a top 5 pick in Stephens and Jones who is playing for a different team and who we got less than what we paid for him.

Of that group only 2 are currently best 22 players, and as of right now none of them are stars. At best Florent and Hayward are very solid contributors.

Not sure, but the first rounders we have taken since 2011 that have not been academy selections are

Dean Towers
Zac Jones

Oliver Florent
Will Hayward
Matthew Ling
Dylan Stephens

Logan McDonald

2 definite busts there (Ling and Towers), a likely complete failure of a top 5 pick in Stephens and Jones who is playing for a different team and who we got less than what we paid for him.

Of that group only 2 are currently best 22 players, and as of right now none of them are stars. At best Florent and Hayward are very solid contributors.
Should trade down every year into 2-3 second rounders aha

Dean Towers
Zac Jones

Oliver Florent
Will Hayward
Matthew Ling
Dylan Stephens

Logan McDonald

and didn't even bid on Tom Green.

He still has the years left in him to be a very good player for the WCE, but that would still mean they paid too much. Anyone know what it was worth in draft points?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatā€™s Daicos going to cost them in future draft collateral?

Absolutely burnt their future by trading for a couple of second rounders.

At least the person responsible isnā€™t there any more I spose.

Whatā€™s Daicos going to cost them in future draft collateral?

Absolutely burnt their future by trading for a couple of second rounders.

At least the person responsible isnā€™t there any more I spose.
Very little. If we sit on our bums and twiddle our thumbs all trade period and donā€™t move any points in, weā€™ll set up ourselves for a minor deficit which will move our first round pick back next year by two or three selections at most.

Very little. If we sit on our bums and twiddle our thumbs all trade period and donā€™t move any points in, weā€™ll set up ourselves for a minor deficit which will move our first round pick back next year by two or three selections at most.

I was under the impression that if Daicos got bid on with pick 1 that Collingwood would need to use all their 2021 picks for points and would still be 600 points in deficit. Is that wrong?

Very little. If we sit on our ass and twiddle our thumbs all trade period and donā€™t move any points in, weā€™ll set up ourselves for a minor deficit which will move our first round pick back next year by two or three selections at most.

Understood. Looks like they will need around 500-600 points to obtain. If they do nothing, it moves say pick 5 to pick 10. The higher their pick, the less it moves obviously.

I

I was under the impression that if Daicos got bid on with pick 1 that Collingwood would need to use all their 2021 picks for points and would still be 600 points in deficit. Is that wrong?
That is correct but a 600 point deficit isnā€™t really that significant when youā€™re picking up the best player in the draft. If we finish last, our pick will fall from 1 to 2. If we finish second last, itā€™ll fall from 2 to 5. If we finish 10th, itā€™ll fall from 8 to 21.

And thatā€™s if we donā€™t move any points in. A worthy sacrifice for a prospect as special as Nick Daicos.

That is correct but a 600 point deficit isnā€™t really that significant when youā€™re picking up the best player in the draft. If we finish last, our pick will fall from 1 to 2. If we finish second last, itā€™ll fall from 2 to 5. If we finish 10th, itā€™ll fall from 8 to 21.

And thatā€™s if we donā€™t move any points in. A worthy sacrifice for a prospect as special as Nick Daicos.
You think you will move some points in this year?

You think you will move some points in this year?
If some club wants to pick up on our list trimmings then maybe, otherwise it wonā€™t be easy. Club might look at moving future second or third into this year to prevent deficit, hopefully they donā€™t touch the future first.

is the rule change from last year still in effect in regards to how many players you have to take in the draft? it used to be a minimum 3 picks, and last year was changed to one because of reduced list sizes i believe

Last edited:
is the rule change from last year still in effect in regards to how many players you have to take in the draft? it used to be a minimum 3 picks, and last year was changed to one because of reduced list sizes i believe
Buggered if I know to be truthful. We have an academy player Youseph Dib to bring in after Daicos but with his small frame I find it doubtful heā€™ll command a bid in the top 40 or 50. He might be a rookie selection. As far as I know, rookie promotions are considered to be part of the ā€œminimum 3 picksā€ a club must make, and we have John Noble and Jack Ginnivan amongst our rookies who look like theyā€™ll play a lot of footy in 2022. If we wanted to, I believe we could simply take Daicos and then promote two rookies. Weā€™ll see I guess.

Yeah, I was told its back to 3 players this year.

Obviously pick 3 would've been worth a lot more on the open market now than what the Pies traded it for last year. That said, they did actually manage their draft picks reasonably well last year (on draft night), working around the academy player and bringing in some very solid talent.

So what they did last year they probably could've done this year. After paying for Daicos they might've been lift with a better return on picks in the 20's or 30's, but would they end up with any better players - not sure. I'll be generous and call that a draw.

The 2 better situations are:

1. Trade pick 3 for a future first round pick and something else decent of a team that then misses finals next year. Spin the pick a year forward. That situation allows you to keep a top 10 pick, although you have to pick the right club to deal with and bet on them not going well. With the ladder fairly even it's hard to know just which club you'd want to deal with.

2. Trade pick 3 for pick 1 and get in ahead of a Daicos bid. Would North do it? Would Adelaide make it a 3 way deal if North and the Crows both moved back 1 spot allowing and Collingwood agreed to draft someone they didn't want. That way North get to keep Horne and Adelaide get their preferred guy too. What if you gave each of them incentives, what would the cost be and would the AFL then allow it? My guess is North would ask for such a haul that it almost wouldn't be worth it in a straight pick 1 for pick 3 trade.

The reality is the Pies have stuffed up but they're still getting the best kid in the draft with pick 3 and some assorted things thrown in to make up the difference. As bad as they've botched it really can only hurt them so much. More of a missed opportunity than a bad result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back