Pies/GWS pick trade

Pick 2 almost confirmed at this stage.

If they were worried about Daicos they could have traded it to almost anyone for their 2022 first rounder (Crows, Suns, Hawks, maybe even North would have done that deal), and probably ended up with a top five pick next year. Instead landed two mid-second round picks last year in a speculative draft given lack of junior football played.

Hope it works out for them and the players they drafted last year turn out to be stars, but based on the pure numbers of it it would have to be amongst the worst pick swaps of all time. Would love to know where they expected to finish on the ladder this year, and where they thought the pick would land. Very lucky they didn’t finish last or there would have been zero excuses at all given they could have used it + landed Daicos without worrying about a bid, not that it makes much difference.

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Basically pick 2 for McRae and Poulter. Worst trade you’ll see.
Actually it was worse than that, McMahon and Poulter.

Now opposition supporters in the future can't say "that was the worst trade I've ever seen" about their own club, because nothing will beat this. Although two 1st round picks for Beams comes close.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Baffling decision. Guess that’s what happens when they got desperate last year. Getting in those draft picks would ‘paint’ a better picture to members to cover the lost of players hoping they won’t notice the draft picks lost in the future

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
And we’re paying Grundy a mill a year for the next 5, yay!!
Gawn
Naitanui
Darcy
Goldstein
Lycett
Hickey
Draper

All had better years as well, Super talented but hes been going to the direction of average rather then improvement or even remaining a top 5 ruckman

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this happened after the Treloar etc trades? I don’t understand, this pick swap is arguably so much worse than those deals, and it’s not as though it was being driven by any salary cap pressure. If anything it’s the opposite. They traded two picks for four, so splitting the quality across multiple players who will take up more cap space.

The Pies figured they lose their P1 in 2021 on the Daicos deal.

They will instead be scrabbling together points from late picks to match an early bid on Daicos.

Also do we know for a fact that Daicos has agreed to be a F/S?

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Gawn
Naitanui
Darcy
Goldstein
Lycett
Hickey
Draper

All had better years as well, Super talented but hes been going to the direction of average rather then improvement or even remaining a top 5 ruckman
I'm a fan of Draper but to be fair he missed about 10 games so Grundy should have him covered for that reason alone.

Back