Toast Pies land Sanderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I don't mind that Bucks will have a bestie in the coaching panel. Coming to work would be FAR more enjoyable if you're literally seeing your best friend every day. The fact that he's a coach with senior AFL experience is a bonus. I actually think having a coach that didn't do so great COULD be good if we assume they learned from their mistakes.

Time will tell. Hopefully he's not a yes man and given how close they are, he's honest enough to let Bucks know when he's screwing up.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good get for the CFC.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'll be watching the Pies closely next year to see how he goes. Admittedly I didn't like the Crows brand of footy under Sando but it's hard to write him off completely. He was pretty unlucky in his time at Adelaide, copping draft sanctions and losing quality players to injury and defection to other sides.

Forward coach doesn't seem like a bad fit. Not sure about ball movement though. This was a weakness of his at the Crows. Our ball movement was glacial under Sando so I hope he's improved in this area.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Jonno94

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
No senior assistant coach sounds perfect to me.

What the hell was role actually for anyway?
Overseeing the entire football side with Buckley? You dont know what the role is for yet it sounds perfect to you? What. I doubt you can effectively operate an AFL team without one.

As somebody pointed out we said we're signing 2 more coaches at the members forum, a senior assistant will be one of those.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
As far as I can work out Bucks has little to do with recruitment, medical or motivation:)D). I hope he has a lot to do with this and don't have any problem with him choosing a friend. As Shpeshal Ed posted, nothing wrong with having a friend to support you at work.

Excuse my ignorance, what happened at Adelaide with Sanderson? Any rumours as to why the players didn't like him?

Aug 17, 2006
Lilyfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Overseeing the entire football side with Buckley? You dont know what the role is for yet it sounds perfect to you? What. I doubt you can effectively operate an AFL team without one.

As somebody pointed out we said we're signing 2 more coaches at the members forum, a senior assistant will be one of those.

Yeah it sounds perfect to me, not having a role that no one really knows what it is.

You said its "Overseeing the entire football side"...

So you mean a coach... a director of football...

So who said we are signing a senior assistant? Or was it 2 more coaches and you're saying "one will be a senior assistant"?

Is one of the 2 sando, so now theres only 1 more?

Is that a senior assistant, ruck or goal kicking coach?

Cause if we can only have 2 or those 3... i pray we don't hire a senior assistant (in other words a footy PA for Bucks)

Look forward to your clarification.

Respect.

Not sure where the 2 new coaches is coming from.
I heard Bucks say he could tell us who 2/3 of his coaching panel was.
Now we know who the remaining 1/3 is.

Not sure where the 2 new coaches is coming from.
I heard Bucks say he could tell us who 2/3 of his coaching panel was.
Now we know who the remaining 1/3 is.
Yeah I can't see any roles left for any senior assistants.

The backline, forward line and midfield are filled, what else is there? Development or specific skill coaches. That's about it.

I severely doubt we will put anyone in Balme's role, like when Malthouse chose not to take it up in 2012 we never really filled it, with Eade and Balme never really being the DOC.

Maybe promote Rivers from VFL backline development coach to now being Harvey's backline assistant. Someone has to work with our tall defenders still, Harvey isn't going to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Would of loved to have Tapping promoted to an assistant's role and Sando come in as a Senior assistant.

Or flip it. Tapping senior assistant. Sando as a forward coach. Really though it's coaches sorted. Lets sort out the piece of swiss cheese which is the structuring of our player development department within the football department.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or flip it. Tapping senior assistant. Sando as a forward coach. Really though it's coaches sorted. Lets sort out the piece of swiss cheese which is the structuring of our player development department within the football department.
Sando has done his apprenticeship and afl senior coach experience. How do you rate Sando and Tapping against each other?

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Sando has done his apprenticeship and afl senior coach experience. How do you rate Sando and Tapping against each other?

I'm not enamoured with the idea of Sando after hearing some information on why he was moved on by Adelaide. I'm hoping he's learned from those reasons and doesn't bring it to Collingwood. The comments I read about his time with the AFL have me hopeful but with reservations. I rate Tapping highly and love what he has achieved with the VFL side. In terms of curriculum vitae's Tapping can't win. But I would have Tapping ahead of Sando.

eddiebankbalance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2011
melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not enamoured with the idea of Sando after hearing some information on why he was moved on by Adelaide. I'm hoping he's learned from those reasons and doesn't bring it to Collingwood. The comments I read about his time with the AFL have me hopeful but with reservations. I rate Tapping highly and love what he has achieved with the VFL side. In terms of curriculum vitae's Tapping can't win. But I would have Tapping ahead of Sando.
Well he gets a good report from Geelong. And those rumours you heard ( out of adelaide ) would reflect his coaching ability?

well left

Premiership Player
May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
However, I'd like to see some new coaches added to the ranks who has coached at other sides in 2016 and can bring some external IP. I feel we have too many 'Collingwood' people. Good clubs get a wealth of knowledge from a lot of sources. Although Sanderson has coaching experience at a number of clubs, he hasn't been internally involved in an AFL club for a few years. The game moves pretty quick. I'm hopeful of 1 good signing of an assistant from another club in the next few months.

Noticed Matt Egan has left Essendon. Well regarded for player development and maybe a link with Sanderson. He could be a handy addition to the panel.

I personally think it's a great appointment. Let's not execute the bloke to early. Mark Neeld for one example, wasn't anything special as a senior coach, but all reports out of Essendon rate him highly, as an assistant, and he did a fair job for us.
I'm not fussed that Sanderson is a mate of Buckleys. They are adults after all, and I'm sure they're professional enough to work professionally together. I'd rather a harmonious coaches box.
I would be surprised if Gubby didn't give it the stamp of approval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back