Autopsy Pies lose by 16 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it has something to do with him leaving the field on his own accord, the trainers/drs only accompanied for 10-15m before he sprinted off, im sure they still gave him a test and deemed him not concussed.

Not every head knock or ko results in concussion.

73 mins TOG, Sidebottom 90 mins TOG, I agree with you, momentum lost. Also, he seemed to be everywhere, would love to know how many metres gained Adams covered. He was everywhere backing up or in the play.

Thanks. Sorry, mine should have been % not mins. Still significant, game was still in balance then.
Yeah it was huge...the lower minutes for Adams also potentially indicative that he may have been flagged as having a major role in Q4 as Sier and Treloar in particular were slowing down.

So him having to sit off for a while really did hurt us.

And yet he could improve massively. Certain teams have him nutted.
IMO needs massive strengthening in the gym and more training in body positioning/holding his ground. Leading patterns still need work also someone of his size needs to be meeting the ball at its highest point more often and making defenders hurt for dropping in front of his space knee in back or head take ya poison. Plays too nice.
The other part he badly needs to work on is kicks on goal outside 35m range, he tries to stab pass the ball even at 50m, he needs to learn to kick through it and give it more height (no bent knee and foot only going to knee height crap).

lol

Thinking about the game,we didn't have many outstanding players,apart from Sidebottom,yet we were still leading with about five minutes to go.You would think players like Pendlebury.Treloar,and Howe would improve significantly on that game because they were all under done.There's still plenty of upside for this team,but I feel that the forward line needs to lift significantly.We're going to need to kick more than ten goals if we're going to beat GWS next week.

Do you think Moore (fit) wouldn't contest and bring the ball to ground?

Laughable to suggest he would get out marked as regularly as Cox does, even as a 1st and 2nd year player more often then not if he didn't mark it he brought it down.

Don't get me wrong I think Cox can turn it around but he needs to do much much better and BTW the Hawks rnd 1 game wasn't the only other time this has happened a few other teams did it successfully through the year too.
Imo his biggest focus off season needs to be heavy gym work, regular 1v1 body positioning/holding ground training and given some angry pills while watching how Plugga Lockett used to lead with venom (a bit of a lost art). And finally goal kicking practice outside 35m range learning to actually kick through the footy. Then next year we may see a real threat.

I think Moore fit and having an uninterrupted season or two would quickly become one of the best forwards in the AFL, if not the best. I have no knock on Moore other than his ability to stay injury free.

Last edited:
Grundy was good for 3 quarters think he was well and truly spent in the last when he went quiet, Cox should of been put for a run in the ruck in the 2nd half (70/30 with Grundy taking the bulk ). At least he will win some clean taps and imo Grundy would of competed forward much much better then anything cox gave us and been less tired.

Yep, Grundy was not bad by any stretch. His usual standrads are pretty bloody high these days. He just didn't reach those levels imo. I reckon he'll tear Lobbe to pieces this week.

I still can't bring myself to watch the replay.

If any of you have, especially the last quarter, have many centre square taps (by Cox) went straight to a WC player?
I have.
And we still lost by 16 points :(

Wasn't the worst experience watching it again, we actually just missed some opportunities.
But they would be equally sad if they lost. (Not that i'd be sad about that.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about the game,we didn't have many outstanding players,apart from Sidebottom,yet we were still leading with about five minutes to go.You would think players like Pendlebury.Treloar,and Howe would improve significantly on that game because they were all under done.There's still plenty of upside for this team,but I feel that the forward line needs to lift significantly.We're going to need to kick more than ten goals if we're going to beat GWS next week.
Adams was better than Sidebottom imo.

Should be no Toby Green too, but we all know what the AFL is like.

The question is, if every footballer stuck their stops out like Toby Green, what sort of game would we have, and what sort of injuries would start occuring. It would be horrendous. Needs to be suspended.

Hopefully Howe goes up for a hanger over the little campaigner Greene and kicks him straight in the mouth.

I still can't bring myself to watch the replay.

If any of you have, especially the last quarter, have many centre square taps (by Cox) went straight to a WC player?
Was commented by others on Saturday night how well WC were reading Grundys taps.
Doubt if Coxs taps were any different.
WC had done their research. We hadn’t formulated a plan to counteract this possibility.

Yep, Grundy was not bad by any stretch. His usual standrads are pretty bloody high these days. He just didn't reach those levels imo. I reckon he'll tear Lobbe to pieces this week.
He needs to kick more goals. At least one a game. He also had some shocking changers. Needs a big one this weekend.

Melbourne won't beat Hawthorn.
I think they will.
But get clobbered by the Eagles, and it won't be pretty.

Can't stand hawthorn so I'm really hoping I'm right.

Commiserations on the loss. Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match - if you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 25 bounces

Pendlebury 22
Sidebottom 20 wing (3i)
Phillips 18 wing
Adams 17
Treloar 15 (1w)
Sier 13
WHE 9 wing
de Goey 6
Mayne 4 wing
Stephenson 1 wing

Rucks:
Grundy 21
Cox 4

Breakdowns - seeing it was a close game I've focused on the last term rather 2nd half in total:

1st Half - 15 Bounces

Pendlebury 12
Adams 12
Sidebottom 12 wing (3i)
Phillips 10 wing
Sier 8
Treloar 8 (1w)
WHE 6 wing
Mayne 4 wing
de Goey 3

Rucks:
Grundy 12
Cox 3

Last Term - 6 Bounces

Sidebottom 6 wing
Pendlebury 6
Treloar 4
Phillips 4 wing
Adams 3
Sier 3
WHE 2 wing
de Goey 2

Rucks:
Grundy 6

Commiserations on the loss. Here are the midfield frequency stats for the match - if you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 25 bounces

Pendlebury 22
Sidebottom 20 wing (3i)
Phillips 18 wing
Adams 17
Treloar 15 (1w)
Sier 13
WHE 9 wing
de Goey 6
Mayne 4 wing
Stephenson 1 wing

Rucks:
Grundy 21
Cox 4

Breakdowns - seeing it was a close game I've focused on the last term rather 2nd half in total:

1st Half - 15 Bounces

Pendlebury 12
Adams 12
Sidebottom 12 wing (3i)
Phillips 10 wing
Sier 8
Treloar 8 (1w)
WHE 6 wing
Mayne 4 wing
de Goey 3

Rucks:
Grundy 12
Cox 3

Last Term - 6 Bounces

Sidebottom 6 wing
Pendlebury 6
Treloar 4
Phillips 4 wing
Adams 3
Sier 3
WHE 2 wing
de Goey 2

Rucks:
Grundy 6
Looks to me like its time to take Scott out of the centre square, 1 clearance for the game. Sier and De Goey need to be in there more often

Was commented by others on Saturday night how well WC were reading Grundys taps.
Doubt if Coxs taps were any different.
WC had done their research. We hadn’t formulated a plan to counteract this possibility.

The real problem in the last 15 minutes was the lack of pressure we put on them at the centre clearances and stoppages - we don't always get first hands on the ball but a lot of our clearances come from pressure on the opposition mids.

In the game on the weekend the eagles were walking the ball out untouched after sharking the tap more often than not over that period late in the fourth quarter and that is what ultimately cost us in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back