PIES Membership Tally

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't it be because they want to limit the amount of members we have due to the fact we might not be able to fit them all in to the ground if they all wanted to come?
The Richmond membership is sold out, as is the Collingwood Legends membership. I'm sure capacity is a factor, but either Collingwood members are getting ripped off or Richmond is selling them too cheap, either way, we get a bad deal.

Wouldn't it be because they want to limit the amount of members we have due to the fact we might not be able to fit them all in to the ground if they all wanted to come?
Actually that makes perfect sense.

The Richmond membership is sold out, as is the Collingwood Legends membership. I'm sure capacity is a factor, but either Collingwood members are getting ripped off or Richmond is selling them too cheap, either way, we get a bad deal.
Technically you are only getting a bad deal if you want both Collingwood and Richmond membership of Legend level.

If you want say only Collingwood’s and that’s the price then the only determination is the value you perceive it has and whether you purchase.

Im of the view all memberships are designed to be a money making excercise. Then we decide accordingly with our own circumstances to take it up or not.

Ps not having a go at anyone in any way. Clubs make money from them that simple.

Technically you are only getting a bad deal if you want both Collingwood and Richmond membership of Legend level.

If you want say only Collingwood’s and that’s the price then the only determination is the value you perceive it has and whether you purchase.

Im of the view all memberships are designed to be a money making excercise. Then we decide accordingly with our own circumstances to take it up or not.

Ps not having a go at anyone in any way. Clubs make money from them that simple.
But if you apply that logic and take it to its extreme, that's like saying, "If a Collingwood membership costs $1000 and you get access to all home games, and a Richmond membership costs $10 and you get access to all home games, you can't make compare those costs because they are two different products".

I'm not sure why we should pay a tax because we go for Collingwood (the majority of the time our Collingwood support isn't a choice, we were just brought up that way). I don't think there is a better apples to apples comparison of memberships than Collingwood and Richmond (very similar number of home games, similar chance of a grand final berth, similar demand), and I think the fact we need to pay 150% extra because our club has decided that's what the "luxury tax" is for supporting Collingwood is pretty poor form by the club.

But if you apply that logic and take it to its extreme, that's like saying, "If a Collingwood membership costs $1000 and you get access to all home games, and a Richmond membership costs $10 and you get access to all home games, you can't make compare those costs because they are two different products".

I'm not sure why we should pay a tax because we go for Collingwood (the majority of the time our Collingwood support isn't a choice, we were just brought up that way). I don't think there is a better apples to apples comparison of memberships than Collingwood and Richmond (very similar number of home games, similar chance of a grand final berth, similar demand), and I think the fact we need to pay 150% extra because our club has decided that's what the "luxury tax" is for supporting Collingwood is pretty poor form by the club.
Going to extreme examples $1,000 to $10.

I’m just suggesting clubs use memberships as a money maker, that’s not bad, it’s not good, it’s just how it is.
There’s all sorts of membership categories and I’m sure their designed for different income situations but all as revenue for the club.

I’m a bit more into adults make their own choices and if the price is too high the buy in should fall, if it doesn’t well what can I say, the club’s raked in funds it thought it could get (and did get).

Don't pay it mate?
Who cares about Richmond, this is Collingwood. The money is going to our club and helping us out, the club I love more than anything in the world.

Going to extreme examples $1,000 to $10.

I’m just suggesting clubs use memberships as a money maker, that’s not bad, it’s not good, it’s just how it is.
There’s all sorts of membership categories and I’m sure their designed for different income situations but all as revenue for the club.

I’m a bit more into adults make their own choices and if the price is too high the buy in should fall, if it doesn’t well what can I say, the club’s raked in funds it thought it could get (and did get).
I understand there are different membership categories. Richmond has significantly more choices than Collingwood, and are cheaper across the board in like for like situations. The basics of economics suggest price should be dictated by supply and demand. Do we have less supply than Richmond? No. Do we have more demand than Richmond? Probably not. So why then do we have 150% inflated price? Because the club just decided we should. How does the perspective of the clubs constant publishing of membership totals change when you look at it from the perspective of, they have intentionally priced out potentially 30,000 supporters from memberships?
Don't pay it mate?
Who cares about Richmond, this is Collingwood. The money is going to our club and helping us out, the club I love more than anything in the world.
I did stop buying a membership through Collingwood, I was a Legends member for nearly a decade.

$900 for a membership through Collingwood or $400 for an AFL membership and I get to go to every game in Melbourne. Easy decision.

I understand there are different membership categories. Richmond has significantly more choices than Collingwood, and are cheaper across the board in like for like situations. The basics of economics suggest price should be dictated by supply and demand. Do we have less supply than Richmond? No. Do we have more demand than Richmond? Probably not. So why then do we have 150% inflated price? Because the club just decided we should. How does the perspective of the clubs constant publishing of membership totals change when you look at it from the perspective of, they have intentionally priced out potentially 30,000 supporters from memberships?

I did stop buying a membership through Collingwood, I was a Legends member for nearly a decade.

$900 for a membership through Collingwood or $400 for an AFL membership and I get to go to every game in Melbourne. Easy decision.
Cool.
Do you choose to be a collingwood AFL member?

Does anyone know how much game day memberships, seating, each club is assigned? I imagined it would be equal? Or does it depend on the home/away game?
Equal to who?

If you're referencing the previous discussion about Richmond:

GA Home and Away - Collingwood: $370, Richmond: $317
Legends Membership (H&A + GF) - Collingwood: $910, Richmond: $535
Reserve Seat - Collingwood: $755, Richmond: $340
Streaming Pass - Collingwood: $155, Richmond: $120
Interstate - Collingwood: $170, Richmond: $140

Its cheaper across the board.

Last edited:
Equal to who?

Maybe Richmond think there way is better, good luck to them.
Do they offer guarantee GF opportunity to buy a ticket?

I must admit I don’t look at what other clubs do, I just go with what Collingwood has on offer.

Ofcourse AFL memebership or MCC memebership might be even a better option for some.
People can pick what suits their disposition.

For what it’s worth I pay my racing clubs memebership the day the bill arrives.
Then I do the football.

Equal to who?

No, I mean seating capacity at grounds. Like say a hawthorn v pies game, is it split, 50/50? Or pies v geelong, pies v essendon etc.

Who cares about what Richmond are doing? That's their business not ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is correct for Legends and other high end memberships. The prices are sky high due to the scarcity of seats and the club knows they’ll always sell out or close to it. The reality is though that all membership catergories including the 17 H/A packages and below will never be popular enough to go beyond capacity.

FWIW Essendon has 70k + members and plays 7 home matches at a ground with a 55k capacity. Despite that they never get near full houses.

Equal to who?

Conversely our Legend's membership looks good against Hawthorn however the cheapest package that they offer a guaranteed grand final ticket with is just $425

Legends - Hawthorn $975 (reserved seat 7 home games & 4 replacement games; gated entry to the remainder in Melb/Tas)
Flexi gold - Hawthorn $425 (reserved seat bay 11 home games or 4 replacement games)

The closest package we have to their flexi gold is the Legends bay (reserved home & away) at $875 or the MCG legends (reserved MCG) at $810

Does anyone know how much game day memberships, seating, each club is assigned? I imagined it would be equal? Or does it depend on the home/away game?
Looking over our packages, there's now a Captains with Grand Final Guarantee. This wasn't available at the start of the year and is yet to be sold out. All home & away reserved seat packages and ANZAC day reserved seat packages sold out sometime ago. This suggests that away reserved seating is the highest restricting factor; whether this is due to Marvel Stadium (I assume a smaller allocation than the MCG given the smaller capacity) or ANZAC day (demand) is unknown.

barrackers thats really interesting re captains.

Your reasoning sounds right to reasons.

How are we getting beaten by Richmond!?

Hawthorn.

We all saw their membership at the MCG on Sunday.

Lucky it was the MCG, as we wouldn’t want a tight fit, would we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back