Pies narrowing window, last chance saloon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood has a problem its far to over rated by its supporters and just always under achieves. Its also a case of 1 step forward and 3 back. Always riddled with set backs,stuff ups and its its own worst enemy. Always shoots itself in the foot im afraid. Along with false hope. Last 10 years has been a slowly deflating balloon.

They have a decent run home. Make the finals, with Treloar and DeGoey back and you just never know.
On form they will struggle to get there. Melbourne, Collingwood, GWS competing for two spots with Essendon chasing.

On form they will struggle to get there. Melbourne, Collingwood, GWS competing for two spots with Essendon chasing.

All three have a good run home...

Whoever shits the bed first against a lower place team is gone.

GWS could just about seal it if they could beat west coast next week.... but can't see that happening.

All three have a good run home...

Whoever shits the bed first against a lower place team is gone.

GWS could just about seal it if they could beat west coast next week.... but can't see that happening.
You reckon? Pies have Brisbane and Port. GWS have West Coast. Melbourne have St Kilda. Pies need to win all three v North, Carlton and GC to lock it in and on form I think they will struggle to take all three of those.

Beams was a breaking point.

We made the 2018 Grand Final and just lost. We were just a step off the pace, and got Beams in to give us that edge and make us clearly the best midfield in the comp. Then not having things turned out the way they were supposed to... It broke the playing group. We lost that extra piece that was there to get us the Crown, and bit by bit things just fell away with injury, form.. etc. Now I feel like the team is disjointed and a mess really. We have Grundy, and a midfield that is like musical chairs with players in and out injured continually along with a few young guys rotating around in there. Then the forward line is just not functioning at all. And the backline rests on Moore. Howe going down has really weakened the back.

The only way out of this is to go hard on a free agent or a trade. I haven't been following it much lately, but if J Cameron is still up for grabs, Pies need to go hard for him and find a way to squeeze him into the cap. Getting strong leading forward is the only way we can salvage something from this team and get back to competing. It might also help Cox... I think he could be better if he is not on the best defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other side of Covid, an away game in the national comp will have a different meaning to the old State League days.
Away is interstate, not a different car park in Melbourne.
Enjoy the game?

They are not alone in the whole 2 or 3 injuries destroys their side beyond recognition.

Im personally happy to see what taking Neale(Pendles)/Lyons(Treloar)/Cameron(DeGoey)/Andrews(Howe)/Birchall(Langdon)

I strongly suspect they are outside the 8 and losing games against the Eagles at Optus for example
Not always losing to the eagles at Optus, 8 games at Optus & ‘earned’ a home final? What a joke. It’s called karma and if Pies don’t win another game this year who cares. We ended your season 👍

Enjoy the game?
Nothing is cringier than digging up an old post to talk s**t to someone that made you upset months ago because results fell your way

One more year if they can recruit a fwd.
Sidebottom Langdon and Howe back.

Beams trade a huge stuff up. Lost high draft picks.
Absolute gift to Lions.
Howe's injury was the clear turning point in their season. They looked great early on but defence collapsed without him.

I think you're right in that with Howe fit and potentially acquiring a good tall forward, they've still got one final chance.

Age - Howe and Sidebottom will turn 30 next year but should bounce back for good seasons and certainly aren't old, same for Roughy. Otherwise Dunn, Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Reid, Beams - not much to worry about missing out on there from the over 30's.

Biggest worry in terms of age is what happens with Pendles. Will be 33 and isn't really suited to playing any position apart from on ball. Does he play some wing and flank to get through the year then back on ball for September? That's probably the smartest way to manage him.

Backline - should still be very strong with Howe back that settles Moore down.

Midfield - Grundy clearly not right this year. Probably needs to keep rotating through young talent - the Brown boys getting dropped for finals not ideal. But clearly still a diverse and talented group.

Forwards - the big question mark. Have to sign up De Goey and Mihocek I'd have thought...unless De Goey can be swapped out for a more consistent true forward? Then hope Will Kelly comes on? Do they chase Ben Brown? Will Stephenson bounce back? A lot of questions.

I don't think it's the last chance saloon, just needs some decent renovations this summer. Fair questions on Pendles tho, inside mids over 33 playing in flag sides aren't all that common I wouldn't think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back