Pies narrowing window, last chance saloon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfinished business. There's a lot of talk about the Pies will be mentally broken after the pf and gf losses - yeah I don't buy that. Might as well write off GWS, no one's doin that. If anything logically thinking it will steel their resolve.
Against a decimated GWS (that had never won a game without both greene and lachfield missing), at their own home ground (where GWS had only won three games previously), a week off with GWS travelling across the country, all the media around Toby's tribunal appearance and a nice leg up from the AFL with Stephenson clear to play after match-fixing... Yeah I reckon there'll be some scars from that.

Against a decimated GWS (that had never won a game without both greene and lachfield missing), at their own home ground (where GWS had only won three games previously), a week off with GWS travelling across the country, all the media around Toby's tribunal appearance and a nice leg up from the AFL with Stephenson clear to play after match-fixing... Yeah I reckon there'll be some scars from that.

Was perplexing to watch that game from the stands. You'd think they'd come out breathing fire but instead played probably their worst game for the year.

[/QUOTE
Scars? Thats a mere black eye compared to the trauma of 2018 and they rebounded.

Was perplexing to watch that game from the stands. You'd think they'd come out breathing fire but instead played probably their worst game for the year.
Nah, the worst game of the year goes to the one at marvel V North. But this one was up there. They obviously took it way too lightly. Fed into the hype at how many players they had out.

Scars? Thats a mere black eye compared to the trauma of 2018 and they rebounded.
Buckley said in the post-match it hurt more than the GF loss.

IMO easier to swallow losing a GF in a match that could have gone either way, rather than going down by a kick after only playing a quarter of football against a team that clearly was not up to standard.

They’re good but they’re near the end of their run in the short term. They’ve got a lot of dudes who will be in the 27+ age group next year. It’s quite surprising looking at their list how many are sneaking into that bracket.

That’s fine, but with guys like Pendlebury, Reid, Sidebottom, Howe, Mayne etc pushing past their prime the window is narrowing.

No reason to think they can’t go close again but suspect they will regret going for Wells and Beames - huge amount of cap room pumped into those two for minimal reward. Perfectly good reasons for going for them but if they’d nailed those cream-on-top trades instead of going for those two they’d probably have snagged a cup with a chance of another.

“Showed no respect” is a cop out. You were beaten by the better team. You kicked some late goals because Davis could barely walk and GWS were tiring, not because you all of a sudden started trying lmao.
Yeah it was in principle a flogging. They were shocking for three quarters and were let back in. No disgrace - happened to Richmond the year before and the Dogs are experts at fluffing prelims but can’t take much from that performance.

That’s fine, but with guys like Pendlebury, Reid, Sidebottom, Howe, Mayne etc pushing past their prime the window is narrowing.

Apart from Ried (who doesn't get on the park anyway) none of those guys are playing like they're past their prime. Pendlebury made AA, a durable athlete who fronts up every week and plays with expected exceptionalism.

Sidebottom is 28 if I am correct and Howe is 30 still a couple of more years of their best footy.

Nah, the worst game of the year goes to the one at marvel V North. But this one was up there. They obviously took it way too lightly. Fed into the hype at how many players they had out.

I doubt they'll ease into such a game again, I think they're primed in that sense. A group with finals experience now, not their first rodeo.

The North game was experimental abomination, there's no doubt they'd need to be 'on' to trouble the other contenders and if they are they're in it up to their eye balls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just managing my expectations haha.

In all seriousness one could argue the expectations haven't been met, for large periods of last season they were terribly out of form and yet managed to get it back somewhat and then bunkered down in the QF and looked like no one would've beaten them that night.

It's a matter of being in their right form at the right time and take their chances when the opportunities arise. It's not a question of can it's a question of will they.

Their good is so good - if they can play consistently then yeah absolutely they could do it this year.

I'd have them top 4-6 this season.

The loss against GWS will be a huge motivator.

The loss in the prelim has a lot of noise around how it's broken the camels back, like I said in the op I don't buy that. From a logical point of view it would galvanize the group.

That's not really the issue, the issue is at least from my point of view - I feel that WC, Richmond and GWS have more margin for error. They have better lists arguably, certainly WC and GWS

If they are to take the cup they will have to play their system at it's optimum, if they do that they'll be nigh on impossible to defeat, if they don't then they won't. There's no real middle ground.

Pendlebury doesn’t need to have quick leg speed, he has three good years still. He is freakish getting out of traffic and sucks defenders to him.

can definitely see him continue to play off the back of the square for a few more years at least

just so evasive and damaging

few holes in the pies list but in today’s age of free agency it dosent take long to those problems to be addressed as long as they have a strong core witch I definitely think they do

can definitely see him continue to play off the back of the square for a few more years at least

few holes in the pies list but in today’s age of free agency it dosent take long to those problems to be addressed as long as they have a strong core witch I definitely think they do
Pies will be good for years to come, can see them making the finals allot in the next decade. Need some icing on the cake though, could end up like Geelong the last eight years, great team nil flags. Better than the dons which isn’t that great of an achievement.

I think our role players declining could hurt us. Need a year or 2 out of Mayne, Varcoe, Greenwood types. They aren’t stars but generally better than a young kid

Agreed there's holes, but their system covers it. Even without a true KPF they managed to be on the right side of the ledger percentage wise - even with large periods of poor form.

As far as Pendles goes he literally predicts where and when the ball will be, as far as I know there's never been a player able to predict like that and may never be again. It's why it looks like he has so much time and space, he can literally bend time to his will.

When he does hang up the boots I really really hope another player comes along and can do the same. It really is something to watch and behold.

I think our role players declining could hurt us. Need a year or 2 out of Mayne, Varcoe, Greenwood types. They aren’t stars but generally better than a young kid

agree 100% those are the engine room guys that will keep you in the game and it’s the A graders that finish the job

similar to guys like Lambert at Richmond they aren’t the most glamorous but they are essential to the list

in a weird way they are almost harder to replace than the stars of the side there will always be a couple of a grade players on every list but it’s those b grade blokes who you know will often sacrifice there own game for the team that you can’t really draft for they just need to be developed over time or picked up on the cheap

Pies will be good for years to come, can see them making the finals allot in the next decade. Need some icing on the cake though, could end up like Geelong the last eight years, great team nil flags. Better than the dons which isn’t that great of an achievement.

Yeah that is highly optimistic, Pendles may have another two but I doubt it will be his best after this year. Father time gets everyone, even the time bender himself.

If they're to stay at the pointy end it will be on the back of system, even now as good as a list as it is it's not on par with WC and GWS. And only their very best system can match Richmonds.

Apart from Ried (who doesn't get on the park anyway) none of those guys are playing like they're past their prime. Pendlebury made AA, a durable athlete who fronts up every week and plays with expected exceptionalism.

Sidebottom is 28 if I am correct and Howe is 30 still a couple of more years of their best footy.
They aren’t now certainly, but a lot of players fall off a cliff when they get to 30. Certainly not many play their best footy after their late 20s.

They might still be in the 22 a few more seasons but not necessarily delivering at the level they have the last few years.

Of course every now and then you get an evergreen but, for example, Ball, Didak, Cloke, Johnson, Jolly etc were all cooked in their early 30s.

agree 100% those are the engine room guys that will keep you in the game and it’s the A graders that finish the job

similar to guys like Lambert at Richmond they aren’t the most glamorous but they are essential to the list

in a weird way they are almost harder to replace than the stars of the side there will always be a couple of a grade players on every list but it’s those b grade blokes who you know will often sacrifice there own game for the team that you can’t really draft for they just need to be developed over time or picked up on the cheap

That's the beauty of system based teams, they're not personnel reliant. Both of these teams have an edge of the rest of the competition for this reason. The 'roles' are based on footy fundamentals and effort no dazzling skills required - you get your transition by suffocating the opposition. The pressure stuff is developed into the squad at training and they continue to develop their squads this way from draftees to Cotchin and Pendles.

The blue chip talent of both these teams are the bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back