Pies narrowing window, last chance saloon.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
IMHO they won't win again until the club returns to Collingwood

Desperately need to reconnect with grassroots support they turned their back on. Then they will get to 100k members, and disappointing crowds like the 75-~85k crowds for their GWS finals will be a thing of the past.

Mores superstition, the deeper we go into this thread the more the wish for superstition to ruin the Pies chances.

This is great!

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Mores superstition, the deeper we go into this thread the more the wish for superstition to ruin the Pies chances.

This is great!
No. This is not the colliwobble curse. It's about being able to get 90k+ into the 'G against GWS.

The prelim was on a knife edge, a sliver more noise of affirmation, an additional quantum of intimidation, you win.

Not saying you defs go on and beat Richmond in the GF, but you would have fancied your chances.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No. This is not the colliwobble curse. It's about being able to get 90k+ into the 'G against GWS.

The prelim was on a knife edge, a sliver more noise of affirmation, an additional quantum of intimidation, you win.

Not saying you defs go on and beat Richmond in the GF, but you would have fancied your chances.

I was there, we s**t the bed, one of the worst performances of the year. You're speculating that if we had more crowd and noise we win and that has zero to do with 'moving back to Collingwood' by the way. I doubt it we deserved to lose.

Tenny

??
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
No, I'd prefer Moore and Roughy back there not Dunny.................... no disrespect but I think Rough is on par with Dunns form and is a couple of years younger, more mobile and taller and is probably a better mark - maybe not a raking kick out of defence like Dunny but more upside.

As far as our forward structure goes, IF we play the way we're supposed to then a lack of true KPF is not necessarily 'holding us back'. Cox (our 'kpf's' in general) just needs to create contest above all else, is not (or should not be) relied on like a JK or Darling for instance.

IF Cox does get some consistency and starts pluckin marks like Cloke used to then yeah that's a bonus akin to a Lynch or Riewoldt. But the system isn't (or should not be) reliant on Cox marking like Cloke, its swarm and spread and then hit up targets like De Goey and Stevo on transition ideally. Win the contested ball that Cox ('kpf') created if not.
I personally think you’re too reliant on your smalls/mediums or “hit up targets” to kick goals. They’re easier to defend than talls. There’s a reason why they’re called “key” forwards. Smalls should support the talls, not the other way round.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I was there, we s**t the bed, one of the worst performances of the year. You're speculating that if we had more crowd and noise we win and that has zero to do with 'moving back to Collingwood' by the way. I doubt it we deserved to lose.
Disagree and am still staggered at how few BF pies care about the consequences of deserting their clubs traditions and heartland.

McGuire made corporate cash for the Magpies, but disenfranchised a section of the supporter base.

No way the old pies would be out-membered and out-drawn by 10s of thousands by the Tigers.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree and am still staggered at how few BF pies care about the consequences of deserting their clubs traditions and heartland.

McGuire made corporate cash for the Magpies, but disenfranchised a section of the supporter base.

No way the old pies would be out-membered and out-drawn by 10s of thousands by the Tigers.
Moving from Vic park was inevitable.
Ridiculous to think they could have stayed

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Moving from Vic park was inevitable.
Ridiculous to think they could have stayed
No sorry, we are talking about club admin/training, not the move to MCG for games.

I.e. they moved to the '56 olympics swimming centre and Goschs paddock (?) Auctioned off everything they could prise off the walls at Vic Park and left it in such a state the local council wanted to sue them.

Even if Geelong one day play all their games at the 'G, they would never do that to Kardinia

Mick F

Mighty Snr
Dec 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some supporters overate their impact on outcomes.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
He's 23 years of age.
Has already played one of the most impressive finals series for some time.
The upside is as good as any player in the game.

Apart from Heeney, name another player 23 years already proven with such raw natural ability?
Most impressive finals series for some time? some very low standards there

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Most impressive finals series for some time? some very low standards there

He averaged 3.5 goals in the three finals played.
They lost the last game by a single kick with less than a minute to play so he was instrumental in helping them along the way.

This is also a side that lacks a genuine key forward so it's not as though he has the luxury of moving around the ground like a Dustin Martin can with Riewoldt and Lynch taking the best defenders inside forward fifty.

If he can produce such quality like he did at 22-23 years of age, one can only wonder what he may produce having a key forward beside him and another 50 games under his belt ;)

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Jordan De Goey and Moore are now relevant in this discussion. Simply, Pies don't win a flag without them.

So, on that fact are they going to go gangbusters to up their value? Ah yeah, that's a given. Is that the one silver lining of them possibly leaving the club, play balls out to up their value and a flag comes along with that effort. I'd like to think so and very possible.

My question is what is their priority Flag or money? And does that really matter considering the circumstances outlined?

If we get a flag out them prioritising their value then happy days, if they stay after that flag then bonus! and that would mean they're team focused and would forgo the extra $$ for another flag tilt -kudos.

If they left for more money after upping their value by winning a flag through illustrious seasons then also happy days!

Win win!

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Window is wide open and staying open for a while. The list is elite, the guns are all fit and primed, the generals are still willing. Bucks will surprise us all with youth, that will look like their been there for ages. Personally, less than a top 2 finish would be sub par, to both mine and club expectations.

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Window is wide open and staying open for a while. The list is elite, the guns are all fit and primed, the generals are still willing. Bucks will surprise us all with youth, that will look like their been there for ages. Personally, less than a top 2 finish would be sub par, to both mine and club expectations.

Will need grundy and pendles to continue their incredible run with injury... i read yesterday grundy has played 51 in a row!

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Pies window is always slightly ajar in my opinion. Too much of a well run club to not be in contention. There my tip for premiers in 2020 but even if they don’t win they seem to always be thereabouts. No reason to panick.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

This is highly optimistic, not impossible but it probably highlights the 'everything must go right' mantra. That's my opinion anyway, not because the Pies are going backwards, they're going forward but not as much as the tigs, wc and giants IMO.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Pies window is always slightly ajar in my opinion. Too much of a well run club to not be in contention. There my tip for premiers in 2020 but even if they don’t win they seem to always be thereabouts. No reason to panick.

You're one of the few to have the Pies as your tip, being thereabouts is not the end game. They HAVE to make use of this current window, not waste it like they have past windows.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
disagree-you would be cooked if these suddenly both got injured

I don't disagree with that, it's likely that at least for this season they'll both front up week in week out. The bigger issues is the widening windows of the contenders around them. The Pies are going forward but you wouldn't argue their window is as open as the other 3 teams I've mentioned.

Back