Analysis Pies over Bombers by 11pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, what’s your point? Its clear the talent is there in the playing group. Always has been. Everyone knows we’ve been inconsistent all year from week to week to qtr to qtr. The coach acknowledges it. So I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.

The mark of a great coach is to build a group of individuals into a great team. One that executes consistently when it matters. And the challenge ahead is to know execute in finals, when in 22 home and away games we’ve been unable to do that.

We’ve had the easiest run into the finals, 18th, 17th, 10th and now 8th. And in 3 out of 4 wins we’ve failed to maximise opportunity and put points on the scoreboard.

So as much as the playing group need to take their opportunities, the challenge for the coaching group is to find away to get them to convert. That’s what great coaches do, in all sports.

The only player of impact missing from last years GF side is Langdon. Cox, Seir, Aish and Goldsack have been replaced by more in form players (Roughead, Elliot, Brown, Noble and Magden).

Regardless of a somewhat disappointing home and away season, where i believe despite injuries 16+ games and a top two finish was the minimum expectation, I have no doubt if this team is actually coached to its maximum potential it will win the premiership.

I’m not here to butt tap and back slap a 15 and 7 season that should have been 18 and 4 (win Freo, hawks, gws and north and it’s a 19 and 3 season).

It’s flag or failure. No excuses. It’s been 9 years. Time for the coaching group to maximise talent and deliver the cup.

So you massively over rate our list to then explain our “under achievement” as a coaching issue ie Bucks.

Name me one other commentator that endorse this rating level of our list, and poor coaching explaining under achievement - just one.

You can’t disguise your agenda, no matter how much you try.

I’d still rather get our s**t together in high performance before we offload talent. Our soft tissue profile over the past decade has been atrocious.

We would also be selling low on Moore which isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

The season starts again for us. Don’t worry about tonight.

I honestly don't think there is anything to worry about. It was a good and mature performance. You need to credit Essendon for that first quarter. They are a tough and explosive team when they have their running game on. They got on top of us because we got too sucked into the contest and while our pressure was good it was too inside the contest. It shows maturity that we adjusted to the challenge and choked Essendon after half time. It was a clinical defensive play and I think our defence needs to be acknowledged because we regularly keep teams to 60ish points including the good offensive ones. We also created a lot of scoring opportunities and if not for poor conversion would have absolutely obliterated them on the score board. We've hit some good form.

Last edited:
Yeah, what’s your point? Its clear the talent is there in the playing group. Always has been. Everyone knows we’ve been inconsistent all year from week to week to qtr to qtr. The coach acknowledges it. So I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.

The mark of a great coach is to build a group of individuals into a great team. One that executes consistently when it matters. And the challenge ahead is to know execute in finals, when in 22 home and away games we’ve been unable to do that.

We’ve had the easiest run into the finals, 18th, 17th, 10th and now 8th. And in 3 out of 4 wins we’ve failed to maximise opportunity and put points on the scoreboard.

So as much as the playing group need to take their opportunities, the challenge for the coaching group is to find away to get them to convert. That’s what great coaches do, in all sports.

The only player of impact missing from last years GF side is Langdon. Cox, Seir, Aish and Goldsack have been replaced by more in form players (Roughead, Elliot, Brown, Noble and Magden).

Regardless of a somewhat disappointing home and away season, where i believe despite injuries 16+ games and a top two finish was the minimum expectation, I have no doubt if this team is actually coached to its maximum potential it will win the premiership.

I’m not here to butt tap and back slap a 15 and 7 season that should have been 18 and 4 (win Freo, hawks, gws and north and it’s a 19 and 3 season).

It’s flag or failure. No excuses. It’s been 9 years. Time for the coaching group to maximise talent and deliver the cup.

I'm so pleased to find another parody account on here, great to meet you brother. Would you like to shoot some hoops?

Scrappy performance but a hugely important win for our top 4 hopes.

Essendon played better than expected, but I think we grinded them to a halt after quarter time when they burst out of the blocks with six goals in the first quarter. Our inability to stick tackles was frustrating, and Essendon was always a threat running off halfback.

Really pleased to have reduced Essendon to four goals after quarter time, and our inability to convert on the scoreboard meant the margin was closer than it should have been.

Outstanding performance by Grundy. Mihocek is becoming increasingly reliable as a key forward target and Elliott has picked up some much needed form leading into the finals. Going to be exciting when we add De Goey and Stephenson to the forward line mix.

Disappointing to hear about the injuries, but best to wait to see what the extent of the damage is before fearing the worst.

Here's hoping one of, if not both the Hawks and Lions win their matches this week to help secure a top 4 spot for us.

Top post. Much man love for Mihocek.

I'd love you to be right mate but I just don't see it. Apart from a 1 point win against West coast... Which genuine contender have we beaten in the last 12 weeks?

Using just 12 weeks and not the season is arbitrary.
Nonetheless how many teams have been genuine contenders for all of the last 12 weeks - Rich BNE, were a rabble, Geel became a rabble.
You beat teams on the day - that’s it.
And what is enduring is the confidence you have when you next meet which is priceless.

On that basis we should fear no one going into finals.

I understand and agree with all of the criticism that was metered out last night because most of them didn’t come to play for the first 30 mins of the match. There was a point in the first quarter where Essendon had the deepest players all over the ground which is 100% workrate! Broken tackles, half arsed efforts and a general lethargy is a very poor way to build into a finals campaign.

The blessing is 7.15 v 4.3 after QT. The turnaround was remarkably simple we just defended the ground better and were able to setup our defensive grid locking them into pockets of the ground. This allowed our territory dominance to eventually overwhelm them. With accurate conversion that was a 6-8 goal result and reflective of the two teams 22’s, but no doubt they’ll be a lot stronger in a fortnight. As will we so we did enough.

We’re alive for top 4 so it’s a good way to start the weekend and fingers crossed for a clean run today v Box Hill.

I don’t think our first quarter issues were related to workrate. The Bombers didn’t have much to play for and therefore were playing an even more high risk counter attacking footy than they normally do. They were going aggressively on the rebound and in the first some of their hack dangerous kicks and lucky bounces fell their way. Compare this to the last quarter and the same kicks were turnovers to our advantage. I was confident they couldn’t sustain that style and they didn’t.

Primarily in the first I think we were pressuring too high so if anything we weren’t controlling our efforts enough and going with multiple players pressuring the ball carrier (lots of players were knackered end of game, was obvious at the ground).

Now there definitely were some adjustments that paid off in terms of controlling pressure, keeping field position better in transition that allowed us to block their run and completely dry out their scoring avenues. It also helped that we sent Maynard to Tippa as he was just in control and roaming free.

But in general I am pretty positive with the performance yesterday (injuries notwithstanding). Our stoppage work was great, our delivery inside 50 has improved since Cox got out, and our general ball movement was excellent and after quarter time our defensive positioning was equally strong (7 scoring shots in three quarters of footy which is ridiculously low on a dry night for an offensive team).

The thing that let us down was our accuracy of course. 16 behinds and 3 or 4 on the full. Not good enough. My hope is that Stevo and Jordy coming in means the forward line finds more/easier scoring avenues.

Only thing is, I’ve got my fingers crossed for Moore and Shaz. We’re not winning a flag with Roughead at CHF and Madgen at CHB.

Anyway I thought I would post not just in response to you Sco but to counter all the negativity on the forum that is preventing healthy discussions. We’ve got four wins in a row, and some highly talented players coming back in for finals. Time to build on the positive momentum.

Using just 12 weeks and not the season is arbitrary.
Nonetheless how many teams have been genuine contenders for all of the last 12 weeks - Rich BNE, were a rabble, Geel became a rabble.
You beat teams on the day - that’s it.
And what is enduring is the confidence you have when you next meet which is priceless.

On that basis we should fear no one going into finals.
Nah I think form running into finals is all that matters. What happened earlier in the year truly is an irrelevance once finals start.
Pessimistic old me says .. Even though we’ve won, our form hasn’t turned the corner enough for us to be considered serious contenders imv. It feels like I’ve been waiting all year for us to get a break in the injuries and get some cohesion and real finals footy form like we had last year. Hasn’t happened. Unrealistic to expect it to just click now were in finals.
May I be proved wrong🙏

Yes they were, but it wasn't just Thomas who got rubbish all night in the Match Day thread. I know I shouldn't go there but the comments bore no resemblance to what was actually happening in the game. According to these drongoes, Mayne, Pendlebury, Roughead, Phillips, Moore and WHE should be dropped or traded. I've hopefully learned my lesson. Even good judges were calling the game over halfway through the first quarter. I won't name names.
Why tf are these GameDay threads even a thing? Aren’t people watching the game?

70BCFF2E-718E-4F12-A540-26C211374042.png

We have played 1 more game.

We will probably only finish with more points than the Cats. Incredible effort given who we have missed in our defence.

Cats also play down at skilled stadium which gives them a massive advantage. The Eagles (46) & Tigers (37) shat the bed when they versed the Cats.

Our defence is the best in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't think there is anything to worry about. It was a good and mature performance. You need to credit Essendon for that first quarter. They are a tough and explosive team when they have their running game on. They got on top of us because we got too sucked into the contest and while our pressure was good it was too inside the contest. It shows maturity that we adjusted to the challenge and choked Essendon acter half time. It was a clinical defensive play and I think our eefence needs to be acknowledged because we regularly keep teams to 60ish points including the good offensive ones. We also created a lot of scoring opportunitied and if not for poor conveesion would have absolutely obliterated them on the score board. We've hit some good form.

Ah Quicky, the voice of reason and sense.

For mine it was a good quality game of footy, it was clear to me it was ours to lose after qtr time. We had their measure if you like - sure they looked dangerous with their run and gun off half back - they do that to ALL their opp when they're on. They were on, credit to them and even more so credit to us.

We looked likely to blow it open even given a good opp was "on". Would've done so if not for poor conversion.

We'll need to convert better against better opp in the coming weeks, the opp will have to work around our suffocation game. Our bit is easier to do.

I have "some" confidence.

Actually the umpiring was poor. One instance in particular I thought it was an Essendon mark when Magden knocked the ball out but for the life of me why have the stopped paying incorrect disposal, holding the ball. Pay the free kicks if they are there!

About time we got calls going our way

Just watching the replay and something hasn’t been mentioned often is Adam’s kicking this year has been really good imo. A lot of those kicks he’s tried to pull the trigger on, in the past have been really improved and it’s opened the game up for us. He’s really starting to hit his straps at the right time of year.

Nah I think form running into finals is all that matters. What happened earlier in the year truly is an irrelevance once finals start.
Pessimistic old me says .. Even though we’ve won, our form hasn’t turned the corner enough for us to be considered serious contenders imv. It feels like I’ve been waiting all year for us to get a break in the injuries and get some cohesion and real finals footy form like we had last year. Hasn’t happened. Unrealistic to expect it to just click now were in finals.
May I be proved wrong🙏

If there is one positive I can give you Scrichty: At the very least our suffocation of the opposition is back, that ridiculous attempt to control transition bs has been abandoned it seems.

This gives me some hope, when we play like this we are very difficult to defeat - even an uber speedy in form bombers could not break us open, in fact if we kicked straight we win that game by 5 or 6 goals.

Just watching the replay and something hasn’t been mentioned often is Adam’s kicking this year has been really good imo. A lot of those kicks he’s tried to pull the trigger on, in the past have been really improved and it’s opened the game up for us. He’s really starting to hit his straps at the right time of year.
A performance of 31 disposals @ 84% efficiency is much closer to the kind of player he needs to be :)

Try and get a replay of Adams being interviewed this morning on SEN to get a better idea of what was being asked of the players last night by the coaching team and what was said to them at quarter time.

Think I much prefer to listen to players than read one of your constant finger pointing at the coach.

You really haven't learned very much in your absence from the board.

Last edited:
If there is one positive I can give you Scrichty: At the very least our suffocation of the opposition is back, that ridiculous attempt to control transition bs has been abandoned it seems.

This gives me some hope, when we play like this we are very difficult to defeat - even an uber speedy in form bombers could not break us open, in fact if we kicked straight we win that game by 5 or 6 goals.
Yes. I Can’t see us getting blown away either. Elliot being back is also a pretty huge positive from the last 2 rounds. Elliot, DeGoey, Stephenson, mihocek. We should have the forward firepower to trouble anyone.

It's funny how defenders loose their attacking mindsets when forced to defend quality forwards. Saad was exposed as a ordinary defender when asked to defend Elliott.

Very good interview with Adams on SEN this morning.
'Knew that Essendon liked fast ball movement; although defenders been very good all year, mids didn't do enough to help out; forwards were drawn up higher than previous weeks; we talked about it at quarter time'.

I think we have done very well to be where we are. Lost Cox and have adjusted. Didn't have our key forwards in JDG and Stepho and have won our last four games. We are playing finals people, let's enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
say we meet them in the EF:

They will get back:
- heppell
- stringer
- fantasia
- hooker

(Hurley to play a full game)

We will get back:
- sidebottom
- de goey
- stephenson

(Scharenberg to play a full game)

To be honest I know everyone is going on about Essendons outs and fair enough they have some handy players out, but hold on a second so do we and the difference in quality is pretty similar I would say

Sidebottom alone is better than any player they had out last night, i think honestly bomber fans would even agree, i was reading thoughts from their fans in the lead up to the game and they mentioned sidebottom always kills them.

De goey is A grade, very dangerous up forward and can help in the mids which would release Crisp back to defence to run off the half back. Kicked 2 against them on anzac day.

Stephenson, just adds so much to our forward line and when him, De Goey, Elliott are all in the same forward line there has to he a mismatch somewhere.

Last night the score line flattered them, we had 11 more scoring shots. (22-7 after qtr time) Won disposals, inside 50s (easily), disposal efficiency, hitouts, all clearances, contested + uncontested ball, Marks, one percenters. They literally only won tackles. (when you dont have the ball as much you would want to!)

initially I was a bit disappointed but looking at it as a whole and digging a bit deeper I'm not really. I think if we have to play them, we win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back