Analysis Pies tame the Tigers by 44 pts - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree totally. Don't look at his possession count. His role doesn't appear to be to spread and get uncontested possessions. His role is to follow up long bombs that hit the turf, which he is very good at both offensively and defensively with manic pressure. In a game where we controlled the ball so effectively and appeared to be instructed to avoid too many long bombs, he wasn't going to play a significant offensive role or get much of the footy. But he still contributed with manic chasing and harassment.

And his sacrificial running.

Our draw does not look so bad now, another game against these spuds. And two each for Melbourne and Essendon, whom are both looking shaky.
The whole issue about tough draw v easy draw is bullshit

Every club plays each other once (17 games)
We play return Blockbusters (usually 2 or 3 games)
That leaves just 2 games remaining, in which "commentators" make a call about Tough Draw or Easy Draw

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match, in case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players were starting as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces. I'll be posting these after all of Collingwood's FTA matches - as I didn't get the Rd 1 game stats up in a timely fashion, I've tossed them in as well.

Overall Summary (30 Bounces

Greenwood 26
Pendlebury 25
Sidebottom 25 wing (1i)
Mayne 24 wing
Beams 22 (1w)
Treloar 17 (1w)
Phillips 7 wing
Aish 3 wing
Thomas 1

Ruck:

Grundy 25 (Nankervis 23)
Cox 5 (Riewoldt 7)

1st Half Breakdown (14 Bounces):

Greenwood 13
Pendlebury 11
Sidebottom 11 wing
Mayne 11 wing
Beams 11 (1w)
Treloar 8
Phillips 4 wing
Aish 1 wing

Grundy 11
Cox 3

2nd Half Breakdown

Pendlebury 14
Sidebottom 14 wing (1i)
Greenwood 13
Mayne 13 wing
Beams 11
Treloar 9 (1w)
Phillips 3 wing
Aish 2 wing
Thomas 2

Bonus - Rd 1 Overall Summary (22 Bounces):

Pendlebury 20
Mayne 19 wing
Beams 17
Sidebottom 17 (11w, 6i)
Treloar 16
Phillips 15 (wing, 3i)
de Goey 4 (3i, 1w)
Thomas 2

Grundy 22

Notes:
- Phillips continued his forward role after being completely jettisoned from the midfield rotation for the final term in Rd 1.
- Not surprisingly with the extra inside mid in the side, only 2 starts came outside the core 4, compared to 12 starts (including Phillips) outside the core 3 last week.

Last edited:
Our draw does not look so bad now, another game against these spuds. And two each for Melbourne and Essendon, whom are both looking shaky.

They're poor now but I doubt that'll continue longer term. I think both sides will be finding some (preseasons anticipated) form well before we meet them.

As usual, it's more often than not when you play a certain opposition rather than who that opposition is in any given week.

Looks like so far, Lynch is providing much needed depth, instead of what I feared - making them almost invincible.
Collingwood's dismantling of them in our last 2 games, both at the mcg where they hadn't lost in years, reminds me of the fight Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson (on youtube) where he worked him out (and knocked him out) and Tyson was never quite the same again.

Tigers fans still crying, on their 64th page about it. :D
Biaseddustyfan seems to be taking it particularly hard. I reckon he’s got about 3 times the amount of posts of anyone else in that thread. I have no idea how to check thread contributions on my phone to confirm unfortunately.

Biaseddustyfan seems to be taking it particularly hard. I reckon he’s got about 3 times the amount of posts of anyone else in that thread. I have no idea how to check thread contributions on my phone to confirm unfortunately.

I just had a look at his posts, barely literate. Says he quit drinking after their loss to us. Must have made him take a good, hard look at himself haha.

Coaches votes

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
Jack Crisp (COLL)
Chris Mayne (COLL)
Jordan De Goey (COLL)
Brody Mihocek (COLL)
Adam Treloar (COLL)
Hard to argue against these votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to my knowledge. Sometimes the coaches reveal who they gave their votes to in the media.

I suppose in this instance it's probably much the same. 6 different players, meaning only one of them gave a vote to Treloar. One of them gave 5 to Pendlebury, the other 4.

Reckon Bucks would've only gave Pendles 4 because it was a stock standard game from him :handok:

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match, in case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players were starting as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces. I'll be posting these after all of Collingwood's FTA matches - as I didn't get the Rd 1 game stats up in a timely fashion, I've tossed them in as well.

Overall Summary (30 Bounces

Greenwood 26
Pendlebury 25
Sidebottom 25 wing (1i)
Mayne 24 wing
Beams 22 (1w)
Treloar 17 (1w)
Phillips 7 wing
Aish 3 wing
Thomas 1

Ruck:

Grundy 25 (Nankervis 23)
Cox 5 (Riewoldt 7)

1st Half Breakdown (14 Bounces):

Greenwood 13
Pendlebury 11
Sidebottom 11 wing
Mayne 11 wing
Beams 11 (1w)
Treloar 8
Phillips 4 wing
Aish 1 wing

Grundy 11
Cox 3

2nd Half Breakdown

Pendlebury 14
Sidebottom 14 wing (1i)
Greenwood 13
Mayne 13 wing
Beams 11
Treloar 9 (1w)
Phillips 3 wing
Aish 2 wing
Thomas 2

Bonus - Rd 1 Overall Summary (22 Bounces):

Pendlebury 20
Mayne 19 wing
Beams 17
Sidebottom 17 (11w, 6i)
Treloar 16
Phillips 15 (wing, 3i)
de Goey 4 (3i, 1w)
Thomas 2

Grundy 22

Notes:
- Phillips continued his forward role after being completely jettisoned from the midfield rotation for the final term in Rd 1.
- Not surprisingly with the extra inside mid in the side, only 2 starts came outside the core 4, compared to 12 starts (including Phillips) outside the core 3 last week.

This suggests to me Phillips may be the most vulnerable at the selection table when WHE returns. I thought I noticed him forward more often but good to see the stats to validate that impression.

xY2EmhZ.gif

I was just looking at this and thinking what men from my father's generation would say about him. Of course, it's not just a generational thing. I wonder where he works. In a bank? Does he make decisions that impact on the lives of people? Does he have kids? Do they respect them when he goes on like this? I'd struggle to ever look him in the eye on a serious matter if he was my father. Maybe he still lives with his mother and shuffles down weekly to Centrelink to pick up the cheque. After all, he is a richmond supporter. I feel safer with that mental pic.

I was just looking at this and thinking what men from my father's generation would say about him. Of course, it's not just a generational thing. I wonder where he works. In a bank? Does he make decisions that impact on the lives of people? Does he have kids? Do they respect them when he goes on like this? I'd struggle to ever look him in the eye on a serious matter if he was my father. Maybe he still lives with his mother and shuffles down weekly to Centrelink to pick up the cheque. After all, he is a richmond supporter. I feel safer with that mental pic.
I hate to break to you but he resembles a good portion of bank staff that I used to work with. That was in the good old days when they shut the doors at 3.00 and hit the pub at 3.15.

I hate to break to you but he resembles a good portion of bank staff that I used to work with. That was in the good old days when they shut the doors at 3.00 and hit the pub at 3.15.

I do remember those days. It was like planning an invasion of europe to try to get into a bank to get some money. This Richmond guy makes me think about the extension of childhood past the teenage years where you see guys of 40 skateboarding down the street in board shorts. Reminds me of that Bart Simpson dream sequence where they look 30 years into the future. Bart doing the same things, looking the same - only older. Actually, it's probably me. I need to get in touch with my inner child. I do engage in some fierce shouting and abuse at the footy, which never goes down well in Perth, but I just can't see myself jumping around and clapping like a 2 year old at a birthday party....but he is a Richmond supporter.

And I should apologise now in advance if he happens to intellectually limited in some way.... which is highly likely being a richmond supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back