Opinion Pies to play Metallica Nothing Else Matters as pregame entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope this was not canned.

They played the song with the lyrics splashed across the rail banner thingies just before the first bounce.

I didn't mind it actually.
I thought I read that somewhere. Personally I hate it. Crap song from a crap band.

I don't mind it either, it isn't really catching on and will probably be shelved next year, but I appreciate the effort. Taking the lyrics of a 90s American ultra-popular metal band and then juxtaposing the lyrics with the Collingwood experience is too much of a stretch to feel genuine. It feels a little cringe worthy, but it's nearly there. It really needs to be an Aussie, preferably Melbourne band to really feel like it has more tangible links to the footy club. Still enjoy the solo though.

Would love to know the thought process behind as to how and why this song was chosen. Was it the cheer squad who chose? Who at the club actually ticked this off?

Absolute trash.

Would love to know the thought process behind as to how and why this song was chosen. Was it the cheer squad who chose? Who at the club actually ticked this off?

Absolute trash.
Someone with no appreciation of music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute trash.
Purely lyrics based...
So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters
Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know
So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know
I never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters
Trust I seek and I find in you

How much is this costing the club? Wouldn’t be cheap to play it before a big crowd.

It’s embarrassing, much like INXS before Port games, cringe.

Let's be honest, we should be going out to 'Dumb Things'.

We gave Chris Mayne a four year gig,

We gave up Witts for a low end pick,

We signed up Bucks for two more years,

We've done all the dumb things.

(Just kidding about Bucks. Love Bucks)

How much is this costing the club? Wouldn’t be cheap to play it before a big crowd.

It’s embarrassing, much like INXS before Port games, cringe.
At least Port fans are into the pre game song. Our supporters don't even care about it.

They played the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” at half-time on ANZAC Day and it still sounds ******* awesome. Too bad that like Nothing Else Matters, it has no particular relevance to Collingwood.

This is the worst thing our club has ever done. The Maine deal looks like Ball and Jolly combined in 2010, in comparison.
Really?? s**t American metal poetry is as good as we can do? At least Port chose an Australian band...
Back in black (and white) ... Song cuts for the riff for as long as it takes for 60000 of us to yell '' and white' when 1st chorus kicks.... You would never get sick of it.... Thank me later ..

Maybe it’s just easier not to do contrived things.

What about just waiting for the bounce of the ball and then just WATCH THE game!

They played the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” at half-time on ANZAC Day and it still sounds ******* awesome. Too bad that like Nothing Else Matters, it has no particular relevance to Collingwood.
They also played Bowie's 'Heroes' on Anzac Day. "We could be heroes ...just for one day." Thought this might be more relevant -but I'm probably just showing my age.

Love that we are playing metal instead but..

.. if we are selecting a Metallica song I would have thought “Creeping Death” “Sad But True” or “Harvester of Sorrow” would’ve been more appropriate with the way this club is headed.

Other appropriate options:
*Pulling Teeth
*Leper Messiah (Ed)
*For Whom the Bell Tolls (Bucks)
*The Frayed Ends of Sanity (supporters)

Drowning pool...."Let the bodies hit the floor"......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back